2005 Jamis Dakar Bafang BBS-02 (Abandonded)

10325384_10204720112549914_1062124934113821057_n.jpg

Well, so much for that...

It did keep the chain on for the most part going down the stairs. When I rode up a curb, is when it decided spit out the chain. I might pick up another Bionicon C.Guide to get some better wrap.

I was going to get this kit, but after your review the gng 1.1 with cyclone bb isis upgrade sounds bulletproof. pushes way more power at the max level of stock drivechain. I guess trade off is external controller and uses more wh/mi?

wouldn't the chain version last longer than 700 miles a belt? I ride that in 3-4 weeks easy.

but thanks for the bbs updates, plan on just keeping it now?

1KW said:
I was going to get this kit, but after your review the gng 1.1 with cyclone bb isis upgrade sounds bulletproof. pushes way more power at the max level of stock drivechain. I guess trade off is external controller and uses more wh/mi?

wouldn't the chain version last longer than 700 miles a belt? I ride that in 3-4 weeks easy.

but thanks for the bbs updates, plan on just keeping it now?

I'm going to keep things for now. I've simply dumped too much money into my e-bike stuff, and this seems like it'll get me to and from work reliably. The reason why I prefer the belt version of the GNG is that it's MUCH quieter (not as quiet as the BBS-02 though), has better primary reduction, and the only wearing part is the belt. Power delivery is also much smoother as the belt has some give.

If you're not concerned about noise or bottom end torque, then the chain drive is probably the way to go. The small primary sprocket will wear, but upgrading to a #25 chain is a "bolt on" process that doesn't require permanent modification of anything. I did notice much more rapid drive train wear with the chain drive (stretched chain, worn chainring teeth, worn derailleur pulleys, etc). I'm assuming it's due to the lack of give on the chain along with the reduction difference. No matter how much you baby the throttle, the power delivery is definitely more abrupt.

I don't think it uses more Wh/Mi. Having the on-demand throttle allowed me to just give me EXACTLY how much power I needed to "flatten the hills." Of course, depending on where you order the BBS-02, you can have the same option. Even with 9 increment settings of PAS, there will always be a time when the motor is out pacing me. It's kind of ridiculous adjusting the power level so often, so I find myself actually shifting gears waaaaay more than when I had with the GNG kit.

If you plan on riding just streets or smooth dirt paths, I do feel the BBS-02 is the better fit especially with your mileage. If you plan on doing jumps and actual technical trail riding, and noise isn't an issue, go GNG chain drive.

Depending on your throttle habits, I don't know if a belt drive would suit the amount of mileage you put down. Replacing the belt on a monthly basis will add up.

Per 1KW -

Some people are not happy with the peddle cadence on the 1.1 chain drive version, but if you don't care then I'd suggest the chain ver for lower maintenance.
I've got over 2000km on my gng and the only issue I ever have is the belt. Winter cold really takes it's toll on the belt and it's life is easily halved. Heavy rain after long dry spell also throws up a lot of road oil and debris which causes premature slipping.

edit: I was unaware - as skyungjae pointed out - that the chain version wears out the sprocket and stretches so much. And for the record, I haven't used a BBS yet

r3volved said:
Per 1KW -

Some people are not happy with the peddle cadence on the 1.1 chain drive version, but if you don't care then I'd suggest the chain ver for lower maintenance.
I've got over 2000km on my gng and the only issue I ever have is the belt. Winter cold really takes it's toll on the belt and it's life is easily halved. Heavy rain after long dry spell also throws up a lot of road oil and debris which causes premature slipping.

edit: I was unaware - as skyungjae pointed out - that the chain version wears out the sprocket and stretches so much. And for the record, I haven't used a BBS yet

+1 on the belt life being subject to the elements. One of my new belts, with less than 100 miles, just disappeared one time when I was riding int he rain. :lol:

I think if you do a #25 conversion with an 80T larger sprocket from the get go, I think it'll greatly reduce the amount of wear on the secondary side / drivetrain. It supposedly will also decrease the noise level (based on other people's experiences here).

sky, what type of belts do you use?
I've been using bestorque...they've been the best I've been able to get my hands on. I've heard good things about goodyear, but I cannot find any source accepting paypal.

r3volved said:
sky, what type of belts do you use?
I've been using bestorque...they've been the best I've been able to get my hands on. I've heard good things about goodyear, but I cannot find any source accepting paypal.

I purchased some "Made in USA belts," but they weren't branded. I do recall the vendor was in CA, and I did an "or best offer" for $11 a piece. I went this route since shipping would be way faster. Amazon Goodyear belts, at the time, would take a month to ship.

I also bought 6 Chinese belts off another member on this forum, but my friends have been eating through those like they're made out of butter.

I've been getting belts from here: http://www.vbeltsupply.com/ecommerce/475-5m-15-synchronous-timing-belt.html
They're always 'on sale' <$10/ea., in stock, and they take paypal. Right now, they're $7.72/ea.

... back on topic. :wink:

10620739_10204729690469356_6722664729399753468_n.jpg

Bionicon C.Guide... take 2.

In terms of chain retention, the C.Guide didn't do a whole lot for my Stink-E. The chain would still be able to bounce off the top of the chain. Once I got an e*thirteen upper chain guide, all the chain drops stopped regardless of the C.Guide, but I kept it on for looks. :wink: I'd get the occasional drop when I was running a dual chain ring and front derailleur, but the chain suck I'd get was actually being caused by the C.Guide.

Anyhow, after installing the Origin8 upper chain guide, I still got a few drops from the chain unraveling from the bottom of the chain ring. As another ES member posted before, a clutch type derailleur would be a potential solution, but I thought this baby would be a good alternative. Also it won't get in the way or have to be replaced if I go 8 speed in the future.

It certainly does give the front chain ring better wrap. Doing bunny hops and curb hops aren't dislodging the chain from the bottom. Stair test will commence tomorrow. :twisted:

r3volved said:
I've been getting belts from here: http://www.vbeltsupply.com/ecommerce/475-5m-15-synchronous-timing-belt.html
They're always 'on sale' <$10/ea., in stock, and they take paypal. Right now, they're $7.72/ea.

That's a good deal. I'll pass the link on to my GNG friends.

Hey, sorry to have derailled the post.
This is an interesting thread...I've got a LR kit on order but have been contemplating switching from GNG to a BBS for a commuter - strictly because of the belts.

When you mention stair test, do you mean up or down? Is the bafang strong enough to pull you up stairs?

r3volved said:
Hey, sorry to have derailled the post.
This is an interesting thread...I've got a LR kit on order but have been contemplating switching from GNG to a BBS for a commuter - strictly because of the belts.

When you mention stair test, do you mean up or down? Is the bafang strong enough to pull you up stairs?

I haven't tried riding up the stairs with it. I don't think it's a good idea with that huge chain ring up front. :lol:

When I leave my office, there is a flight of stairs between my building and the federal prison next door.

skyungjae said:

I'm pretty confident in that the C.Guide will work. We'll see when the day is over. :wink:

Edit: Well, it looks like my bike can now handle stairs and other urban related bumps. Hopefully I can trail test sometime this weekend. :twisted:

0utrider said:
Sky, the Origin8 has been working so far. No chain drops or chain-suck yet on a recent 10 mile test drive. Urban pavement, cobblestone, rock, some curb jumps and general hooliganism. I'm not bombing down stairs yet until I have come up with a better battery mounting idea.

My chain was unwrapping from the bottom up on the stairs and general bumpy terrain. I probably could lose a link or two, but that huge front ring and plenty of snapped derailleur hangers stops me from doing so.

Anyhow, no trail tests as of yet. It's been raining this whole week in CA, and I'm still getting over some bug. Hopefully things will clear up next weekend. Then I'll be able to see if I've found a full proof chain drop remedy. :twisted:

Tomorrow does pose some questions. It'll be the first time riding this bike in the rain. Hopefully it's weather proof for the most part. I've ridden the GNG through downpours, so I'm hoping for the same wet weather reliability.

Get a new damped shimano plus derailleur. That will help a lot to keep the chain in place.

The only problem is that they are 10 speed. That issue can be solved with an 8 or 9speed Sram shifter(depending on what gears you have on your bike). The shifter has to be for the old 1:1 Sram system then it is compatibel with the 10 Speed Shimano.

I am using an Sram 8speed grip shift with an XT shadow plus derailleur on a 8speed cassette.

Well, the past few days along with last week seemed okay with the C.Guide. There were times when the chain would partially come off the ring going down the stairs, but pedaling would bring it back on.

Yesterday was not so...

I decided to go down a little extra quick and the impact at the bottom rocked me & bike pretty hard. :lol:

150168_10204819163266120_3017820579404224704_n.jpg

Since this is the only chain drop since the introduction of the C.Guide, I consider that I'm still winning. :lol:

Still no trail ride yet. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so perhaps sometime next week.

r3volved said:
Everything work well in the rain so far? Are you doing anything pre-rain to prepare, or anything post-rain to maintain?

I use a silicone spray to sort of water proof things, and make sure things are well oiled. When I get home I usually dry off the bike and used canned air or a compressor to blow dry the hard to reach parts. Repeat.

I went down at the same speed this time, but I transitioned less abruptly from the last row of stairs to the flat. The chain stayed on just fine. :D

I knew getting into this kit that it would be questionable for my riding style. I actually have a bit more faith in the kit. I still have to tighten things from time to time, but it's not that much more tinkering than a regular bike.

My horn button should be coming in soon. My intention was to wire it as a kill switch for shifting, but I've gotten very used to dropping down to PAS 0 for that. I may lag on installing it. :lol:

10857947_10204903200166990_1001027520480123478_n.jpg

Finally got fenders!!! ... after it stopped raining. :|

This front eBay fender was definitely worth the $10 total I spent on it. The rear one that come with it will never be installed due to being comically large and making it difficult to flip the bike for rear wheel servicing. :lol:

Anyhow, I thought I'd do a little parts swapping over the weekend as well:

Swapped out the already short stem to a shorter one
With the stem came thicker handlebars (25.4mm to 31.8mm)
Swapped out the aged Nixon fork with an RST 29er air fork (if the Nixon had been better maintained, I wouldn't have done this)

Things I've done since my lass post:

1380601_10204848220152524_1215683535060774881_n.jpg

Got an Ass Saver rear mud guard (works incredibly well with my dropper post). Special thanks to Ricardo from Buena Park Cycles for this one.

10881509_10204903200406996_1142006838751028662_n.jpg

Wired up a horn button as a kill switch / clutch for shifting & killing power for technical stuff. :D

1482968_10204903201287018_4380251915715863198_n.jpg

Hookworms!!! Thanks Andy.

Now I'm just waiting on my L shaped handlebar accessory extender & T6 LED light and this bike will be more or less completed. :twisted:

The rear crank arm was staying put until I put on those Hookworms + more tire pressure. Hopefully more Vibratite + 35ft/lbs of torque will keep it from rattling loose this time around. :x

Back