2005 Kona Stinky GNG 1.0 build (mid-drive Stink-E) ABANDONED

10882100_10204903199526974_8283252572330665568_n.jpg

I decided to go with a large Jamis Dakar frame (probably should've gotten a medium). After having seen the battery on another Jamis, it looked right at home. :)

For those of you who stumble up this thread and are looking for frames that MAY fit this battery, frames with similar frame geometry are:

Novara Float
Rocky Mountain (various older ones)
Lite Speed (various)
Jamis (various)

Not similar, but I was also in the market for this:
Cannondale (old scalpel has that ugly rear shock behind the seat tube design)

frame%20pack%20(with%20dims)-500x500.jpg

I made a cardboard template from this picture on em3ev's website to verify fitment.

Sure, having the rear shock right under the top tube is not going to yield a bunch of suspension travel, but you can tuck the battery as low as possible next to the seat tube. :wink:

That looks great. I like how the cage mounts are higher up on the downtube.

When I fit the downtube battery on the Novara Float (wife's bike), I could only use one bolt because the holes because the water bottle cage mounting holes are much lower.

It wasn't a problem though. One bolt + a hose clamp seems to work fine.

I really wanted a Rocky Mountain Element or Slayer, but the prices were still very high for used.

I want to buy the same setup but I dont want to bend the bottom bracket.

Overclocker said:
skyungjae said:
Well, as for my next project... I'm in search of a full suspension frame that'll accommodate em3ev's downtube mount battery:
capture-20140816-232738.jpg

Let me know if you know any such frame. :wink:

VNGIpqn.jpg

here's my salvo, large. i'm 5'11" fits me perfectly

pretty sure it'll fit that downtube pack

and no it's not a walmart 'goose. has bearings on the pivots.
I know this thread is kinda old but another good FS frame that will take a dolphin style frame battery is a 2010 Giant Trance X2 frame. same with the Anthem.

Attachments

• 11088817_1597980130443171_7994499881933530654_o.jpg
    11088817_1597980130443171_7994499881933530654_o.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 2,459
You might want to look at a 2003 intense tracer with just a little mod as you can see the battery fits perfectly the battery is a 52v 12.5 ah from HPC and HPC,s battery the 52v,62v both will fit as well as there 72v .I have a lot of time riding this setup on some of the best MTB trails in the Midwest and south east and the handling is superb

Attachments

• small trail pic.png
    small trail pic.png
    161 KB · Views: 2,443
rider95 said:
You might want to look at a 2003 intense tracer with just a little mod as you can see the battery fits perfectly the battery is a 52v 12.5 ah from HPC and HPC,s battery the 52v,62v both will fit as well as there 72v .I have a lot of time riding this setup on some of the best MTB trails in the Midwest and south east and the handling is superb
Thanks for posting this, rider95. I like to keep tabs on bikes that are "Conversion Friendly."

What kind of freewheel is on the GNG's jackshaft in this photo? I have the 2015 GNG, and I was wondering if there was some way to run 3 chainrings. As it is right now, I have to use a few spacers on the crank to push the Cyclone crankset inwards because the outer chainring wouldn't line up with the jackshaft sprocket, so because I have to push it in, I had to remove the middle chainring. In other words, if I tried to install the Cyclone triple crankset without removing one of the chainrings, the jackshaft sprocket would line up with the middle chainring. In the setup in this picture, it looks like the jackshaft sprocket is aftermarket. Is it a bolt-on?

skyungjae said:
My triple chain ring came in from Cyclone.

I was using a White Industries flanged freewheel from sickbikeparts.com.

I had helped someone install a similar set up on one of the newer GNGs with the 20mm wide belt, and the spacing was off as well. We ended up having to grind down the heads of the fasteners on the motor mount.

It's definitely not as plug and play as the earlier 15mm wide belt and chain drive models.

The jackshaft sprocket freewheel in the right of the picture is a WI flanged freewheel? Or are you referring to the crankset freewheel?

skyungjae said:
I was using a White Industries flanged freewheel from sickbikeparts.com.

I had helped someone install a similar set up on one of the newer GNGs with the 20mm wide belt, and the spacing was off as well. We ended up having to grind down the heads of the fasteners on the motor mount.

It's definitely not as plug and play as the earlier 15mm wide belt and chain drive models.

Back