2010 Hubmotor meltoff

hi dogman,

i think you might be right. my setting the gearing is usually 22T , 26inch wheel. Maybe it should be 24t or 28t will be better. i ever run cyclone on the tallest gearing, motor do get hot too. i feel cyclone motor is small in size, alittle look cramp in size that gets the heat very fast. maybe i do run alot on drag speed from a dead stop (some times). there is some difficulties in replace hall senor in cyclone, i will choose to left it there in my box.

cyclone can be improve one day for a better performance motor. hope to see them in the coming years. yes, the chain kit is really powerful,, alot powerful then my 48v 1000watts kit in pick up speed. top speed is also faster 67km/h on 48v, compare hub is 51km/h on 48v. but i will choose hub as a best choice. - best thing about hub.. easy to replace hall sensor for anyone. i can use the tallest gearing say 32t, but the top speed is lower. :|

cheers,
kentlim

With all the awesome, high-powered ebikes out there have there been any hub motor fires out there? :twisted:
Don't know about fires, but many have melted their hub motors. That's one nice feature of a cyclone motor is that it has a temperature shut down so you can't totally fry it. That would be a nice feature in some of the bigger motors for those that like higher voltages????

Theoretically not too hard to make one, if you have a thermometer already setup on the motor for monitoring. If the thermometer has a user-settable-temperature alarm output (even just a speaker buzzer), you can wire that into a latching circuit that parallels your ebrake line. That would shut down the controller at overtemperature. I'd also stick an LED on the latch so that I'd know it was an overtemp that caused the shutdown. To reset it, just cycle power on the controller (assuming the latch is powered from the controller; if not, then cycle power on just the latch/thermometer).

I like the temperature buzzer idea. Could be easy even for someone as electronically clueless as me. I seen how Dogman puts his thermometer next to the hub motor and monitors the temps. 8)

That's one nice feature of a cyclone motor is that it has a temperature shut down so you can't totally fry it.

That's right. I almost forgot that regular commercially available ac motors are available with thermostatic cut-out switches that cut power at a preset temperature until the motor cools down. They're cheap and don't take much room and they don't need wires routed outside the motor. The only bad thing is the motor could cut out on you while negotiating some traffic, kind of a safety hazard.

Ebikes-ca sells a thermoswitch that might work for turning off a controller. I like the idea of a buzzer better though. I had the switch on a heinzmann, and when it tripped, you never knew for sure if it was the switch tripping or a simple broken connection to the battery. Just annoying not knowing for sure why the bike stopped. Needed an led to light up and tell you the switch was tripped or something.

dogman said:
Needed an led to light up and tell you the switch was tripped or something.
Easy to do. Just wire an LED with a large-value resistor (to limit the current thru it) across the thermal switch. It will never light up in normal operation, only during overtemperature, when the full pack voltage is now across the switch. Just calculate the resistor value for the highest possible voltage that the pack would have. It will prevent the controller/etc from having enough power to actually do anything, as well.

Optionally use an incandescent bulb, like an appliance bulb or similar, if your pack voltage is high enough that the LED can't deal with it without a huge wattage resistor.

That's why it seems stupid to me, that a high quality bike like the EVG didn't have it. People surely hated it when the bike shut down, and you didn't know why for sure. However, I do admit that with the stock battery, you'd run the battery dead before overheating in most cases. But you know me, double the battery size and go roaring off up a hill in the heat. :twisted:

Wow, tons of good info on this thread .... maybe someone should sticky it ... "looks around" :wink: :mrgreen:

Back