2013: Year of illegal fast production ebike

Green Machine

100 kW
Ebike companies are finally starting to wake up on what USA consumers want. Power, speed, and the capacity to be illegal. (renegade bike riders)

In the last few weeks, Stromer and Specialized have announced new electric bikes that would be illegally fast by USA federal law. According to the USA government, for a motor bike to be classified as an ebike, it must be no more than 750 watts, and no faster than 20-MPH with no pedaling on flat ground with a 170 pound rider. Read more on USA ebike law: http://www.electricbike.com/electric-bike-law/

Here is a list of 10 Illegal fast electric bikes available for purchase in the USA in 2013. I

Optibike 1100, and 850
Read Review: http://www.electricbike.com/optibike-850r-ride-and-review/
View attachment 9

Optibike has recently learned that the faster they make their electric bikes, the faster they sell, even with premium price tags. This is one of the most expensive bikes on the market and it comes with a mid-drive that has proven to be ultra reliable. Optibike made it to #1 on our list of fastest production ebikes ( with its all-around quality and lightweight performance. 10 fastest production ebikes: http://www.electricbike.com/10-fastest-ebikes/

The $12,000 Optibike 850 (watts) is capable of 30-MPH, the $15,000 1100 (watts) will supposedly hit 40-MPH, and Optibike is also now testing a 1500 watt prototype.

Optibike requires all new owners of the 1100R to sign a waiver that says they understand that the bike is for "off road use only"

Stealth Bomber
http://www.electricbike.com/stealth-bomber-review/
stealth_bomber (1).jpg

The Stealth Bomber comes from the factory with a jumper-wire on the controller that limits it's top-speed to 20-MPH. Remove that jumper, and it puts you in "off road mode" and transforms your bomber into a 50-MPH 5,000-watt beast.

Stealth Fighter
Review: http://www.electricbike.com/stealth-fighter/
View attachment 6

The Stealth Figher is a lighter, and less fast version of the Stealth Bomber, but it's still definitely illegal once you take off the factory jumper which limits it.

Specialized Turbo
Review: http://www.electricbike.com/specialized_turbo/
specializedturbo4.jpg

This is an interesting one. This bike is pedal assist only, and has a modest 250-watt hub motor. Specialized claims it is not only illegal, but the worlds fastest production electric bike with a claimed speed of 28-MPH. I feel this bike without pedal assist ("throttle only" if it was possible) would not surpass 20-MPH and therefore is not illegal. I think the think tank at Specialized got together in a conference room...and the marketing guys said: "Lets build the worlds fastest production electric bike", the engineers said "we can do that!" and the execs said: "Let's not...and just say we did!" and the marketing guys said "We can do that too. " And the lawyer in the back of the room nodded his head. High Fives.

Stromer ST1 Platinum
Review: http://www.electricbike.com/stromer-st1/
stromer st1-2931.jpg

The Stromer ST1 is capable (with pedal assist) of easily hitting speeds of 28-MPH. The controller does not cut off power at 20-MPH as it does on other production bikes. Stromer has a "tamper resistant" sticker on the downtube of the bike that says for "off road use only" and makes it very clear in their owners manual etc that this bike should not be ridden on the street.

Outrider USA (FFR Trikes)
ffrtrikes.jpg

This is the most unusual ebike on this list. Federal law still recognizes this as an ebike, even with 3 wheels (4 wheels? forget about it, even if it has pedals). The Outrider Trike (formerly known as FFR trike) comes with factory limits set on the Cycle Analyst to make it street legal. However, the new owner can easily change these factory settings, and transform their mild manner trike into a 6,000 watt 50-MPH super trike, capable of climbing big mountains on a single charge (read how FFR crushed Pikes Peak Race)

Hanebrink Sand Bike
Review: http://www.electricbike.com/hanebrink/
4689.jpg

Dan Hanebrink is man with a need for speed, and has been racing electric bikes and motorcycles for years. Although the base model Hanebrink sand-bike is right at federal power limits, Dan Hanebrink is willing and able to make his customer's Hanebrink as fast as they want (and are willing to pay for).

Hanebrink Hustler
Artice: http://www.electricbike.com/hanebrink-hustler-x5/
20110608-DSC02860.jpg
Speaking of Dan Hanebrink, here is his most prized creation. A 60-MPH electric bike, definitely NOT street legal. Dan Hanebrink argues that it's legal...it has tiny operational pedals hidden under those fairings, and when he hand-delivers the $20,000 Hustler to your door, it is limited by the Cycle Analyst to put out only 750-watts max and 20-MPH top speed. Maybe Dan when he drops it off will show you how to take that limit off ;).

Hi Power Cycles
hi power.jpg
Hi Power Cycles has been selling illegally fast electric bikes on Ebay for 5 years. They have a bad reputation for grossly exaggerating performance numbers, but their bikes are fast enough to be illegal. They are basically conversion bikes built around the BMC or Crystalyte hub motors, and KHS mountain bikes. Hi Power Cycles sells these bikes as "off road only" and requires all their customers to sign a waiver.

Pedego City Commuter
Review: http://www.electricbike.com/pedego-city-commuter/
20110513-DSC02647.jpg
This is the most unlikely ebike to make this list. But a simple dashboard tweak will take the limits off of this bike, and transform it into a 900 watt peak, 22-MPH electric bike. Pretty sneaky. Putting a new meaning to the "Fun" slogan of Pedego, blasting around on an Illegally fast City Commuter, that looks like a girl's bike.

I would add:

Prodeco Outlaw SS
prodeco-2013-prodeco-outlaw-ex-electric-bike-424-800x800.jpg

(Big image: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81ha-CEvWfL._SL1500_.jpg)

"This Candy Orange Metallic version of the hot new Outlaw Series carries a top speed of 28 mph, which is guaranteed to take your riding experience beyond the wildest of e-bike imaginations. Equipped with a 750-watt, rear direct-drive hub motor, which delivers 1200 watts at peak, and a range of up to 20 miles per charge, the racy Outlaw SS features a double-crown magnesium suspension fork and SRAM 8-speed X9/XO drive train along with high-powered Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic disc brakes and Avid 200mm HS1 rotors."

http://prodecotech.com/bikes/outlaw-ss/

None of them are 2013 design, most are aging already.

Out of this list, only the Hustler has interesting speed but it is not anything close to an ebike.
The Stealth Fighter has the best potential of them on the list, very easy to mod for performance.

The Optibike looks like sh*t, they should revamp their design. The odd style Y frame MTB and miniature shock are totally obsolete.
Specialized has a winning design, yet they should start building on their DH bike frame and doing real power. Their new Demo 8 is very interesting to build on.

So, the prodeco outlaw says its "guaranteed" to exceed my wildest ebike experiences...

I have a feeling these folks are a tad out of touch. ;)

I do very much enjoy seeing off-the-shelf stuff becoming more tempting options to pull people out of cars and onto radically less harmful transport.

liveforphysics said:
So, the prodeco outlaw says its "guaranteed" to exceed my wildest ebike experiences...

I have a feeling these folks are a tad out of touch. ;)

I do very much enjoy seeing off-the-shelf stuff becoming more tempting options to pull people out of cars and onto radically less harmful transport.

Hahahaha...

Well at least it seems to be the best priced compared to other production ebikes, for what it is. ~2K

yeah i totally agree the outlaw ss is a really great value for its specs, and made in america! if i didn't build my own e-bike i would defiantly by the outlaw.

I had emailed Prodeco tech support two weeks ago and asked them about the availability of PAS mode on the Outlaw. They said it didn't have that feature but they were considering it for certain models. But, as an aside, they indicated they were going to discontinue the 28mph motor version soon due to "industry concerns".

Does anyone have any insight on how to add PAS capability to the Outlaw SS bike. Without PAS mode support, getting this bike is a show stopper for me. Doesn't the Cycle Analyst gadget integrate such a feature through the throttle input?

VelvetPower said:
I had emailed Prodeco tech support two weeks ago and asked them about the availability of PAS mode on the Outlaw. They said it didn't have that feature but they were considering it for certain models. But, as an aside, they indicated they were going to discontinue the 28mph motor version soon due to "industry concerns".

Does anyone have any insight on how to add PAS capability to the Outlaw SS bike. Without PAS mode support, getting this bike is a show stopper for me. Doesn't the Cycle Analyst gadget integrate such a feature through the throttle input?

Welcome to the forum... I would jump on that before they limit it to 20mph. There is probably a PAS that could plug into the normal throttle plug on that bike. I think the best thing would be to ask they're dealers if they can sell you one with an aftermarket PAS installed (if prodeco wont). There may be some dealers on this forum!

Almost all are street legal in my state. 8)

The catch 22 is that in NM you never are an ebike, only mopeds exist under NM codes. So you need a license, but 30 mph is perfectly legal. On a bike path, you pretend to be a normal bike since there you are illegal. :roll:

I'm in europe with the 15mph limit, and wouldn't entertain the idea of a legal ebike. The local shop just sells to old folks. Anyone that uses a bike regularly can do as well if not better than a legal bike, and without the weight disadvantage or prohibitive cost. I'm in a university town where 2nd hand shops will sell you a £30 bike you don't really care about loosing. Nobody here is going to spend thousands on something no faster that is attractive to crooks.

The only market I could open up here would be 20mph+ kits for around £500 and the buyers would likely be teenagers that can't afford a car, drunks that can't have one and the older unemployed, who are the people I have seen with them. The only new legitimate use I can imagine is short term hire to get people back in to cycling.

We did get the A2B as a legal bike. However UK legislation does not allow bikes with off road switch's to be used on the road. The A2B actually has a battery changeover switch, So the user can fit a higher voltage aftermarket battery. If a 'boost switch' for off road was allowed, I'm sure we would see a lot more bikes about.

At 15mph, the unemployed market just see then as posh. There is no gain except weight and expense. They have to be faster than you can pedal to warrant the expenditure.

What sells is a motorbike that does not need tax mot or insurance. One that can use bus and cycle lanes, and generally costs just the initial outlay. That is a new and viable mode of transport.

Prodeco is coming out with Full Suspension later this year according to their management…but if no 750W motor it wouldn't even be a tease….

I'm not sure celebrating the illegality of these bikes is exactly the right approach here, but these are all bike heavily influenced by the endless-sphere hacker culture. Bikes that would likely not exist without Endless-Sphere.

grindz145 said:
I'm not sure celebrating the illegality of these bikes is exactly the right approach here, but these are all bike heavily influenced by the endless-sphere hacker culture. Bikes that would likely not exist without Endless-Sphere.

I feel that selling 30mph electric bikes is what will bring the industry finally into the main stream.

20mph electric bikes suck, and are damn dangerous to ride in traffic.

Plus no one wants to spend big bucks on 20mph electric bike.

A couple years ago i met with the marketing director of Optibike, and vehemently argued that they would not be able to compete with 20mph chinese bikes with a 20mph $12,000 optibike (the 850r). A year later they released the 1100r (1100 watts and illegal) and now no one wants a 850 anymore. Optibke lately announced a $6000 m4 series bike (400 watts). Optibike theorized in their press release it would be their most popular bike because of its price point (half as much as cheapest opti) and it looks like no one wants it. Seems like a complete fizzle to me. Didn't even make it onto the company website. 400 watts just kills it.

Lets see how the currie eflow ($4,0000 20mph bike) competes with the illegal Specialized Turbo, and the illegal Stromer ST1.

I was hoping prodeco would make a full suspension version. Hopefully they can knock the price down a bit more and keep the power!

They might have to reduce power unless we rename the thread to "especially fast" or "disruptively fast" or "norm-shatteringly fast". And change all our wording to reflect more positively on these bikes :wink:

@Green Machine: According to their youtube video, one of the reasons that Optibike came out with the M4 is because they have a huge waiting list of people for used, upper-end Optibikes. Those used ones sell for about $6K. So Optibike came up with the M4 for $6K. I think they missed the point. Users want an upper-end Optibike in the $6K range, not a bottom-of-the-line one at $6K.

http://www.gizmag.com/outrider-electric-recumbent-tricycles/27105/

Electric bikes are becoming quite popular, although some riders might be frustrated by the fact that – in many parts of the world – they’re legally limited to a top motor-only speed of 20 mph (32 km/h). Any faster and they’re no longer classified as bicycles, and must be licensed accordingly. If that's not a problem for you, however, then you might be interested in Outrider USA’s line of pedal-electric recumbent tricycles. Not only do they look pretty spiffy and comfy, but they can reach speeds of up to 40 mph (64 km/h).

I don't have to ride Outlaw SS to know that it handles not very well.
high mounted above rear wheel battery is bad enough but motor in the back also, so how much weight is on the back?
on the top of that - long travel fork for more unstable ride
they cannot defy law of gravity. law of physics is law of physics.

I've ridden the outlaw SS, I was less than impressed, it had good power, and a decent fork, but the battery placement, and geometry was less than stellar (way less, piss poor would be more appropriate, especially the battery placement), I told them it pretty much sucked, and they should put the battery in the down tube where it belongs, they were less than impressed with my constructive criticism, and said their wimpy curved down tube was a trademark. :roll:

I had been riding the stromer, I said they should do the battery similar, that's probably why the animosity, the stromer was better, a good balance, though the outlaw could have been far better, better parts, more power, but the weight was all wrong. Could've been a sweet bike!

That Stromer ST1 is a pretty cool normal looking bike, surprising speed claims considering its 36volt battery.
It almost seems like its deliberately designed to overclock volt the battery to 48v which would give it a significant speed boost on top of what it gives already, providing it can handle it.

MadRhino said:
The Optibike looks like sh*t, they should revamp their design. The odd style Y frame MTB and miniature shock are totally obsolete.

+1 Ugly as sin and an uglier price tag.

Green Machine said:
I feel that selling 30mph electric bikes is what will bring the industry finally into the main stream.

20mph electric bikes suck, and are damn dangerous to ride in traffic.

Plus no one wants to spend big bucks on 20mph electric bike.

I get it... ES guys love to go fast! But the majority of people are extremely satisfied with 20mph bikes. Very rarely do we get complaints that "it isn't fast enough" after a test ride at our shop. In fact, most people are thoroughly impressed with a 20mph bike. For the average person who goes on short commutes or casual rides around the neighborhood, 20mph is more than enough. The majority of riders aren't looking anything more than this...

With that being said, there's a very small percentage of people (ES-type customers) who want the absolute fastest e-bike. Since this is such a small percentage of customers -- and there are additional rules, restrictions and liabilities to worry about, the only one of these "fast production bikes" that we carry is the Stromer Platinum. It's definitely a nice option, but it's not necessarily it's faster speed that attracts customers. For most speed-obsessed customers, it's a conversion kit that gets the job done. This is a very small percentage of our business...

To be honest, I think it would be bad for the industry if they ever increased the legal limit. What's going to happen to that little old lady when she looses control of her 30mph e-bike at top speed? It's not going to be pretty! Regardless of age, the majority of people are not equipped or ready to operate a bike that goes that fast. A whole lot of people would get hurt and we'd definitely see more restrictions put in-place. And people trying to ride their high-speed bicycles in traffic is sure to result in more accidents and more pissed off drivers. This would hurt an already questionable view about e-bikes, and public outrage could hurt the industry even more.

There's definitely a place for faster e-bikes, but there's a reason they're not classified as "regular" bikes...

btw, my local chinese ebike/escooter shop is selling a generic 48v e-mtbike for around $1700
owner says it goes to 30+mph.

i see them on ebay also,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-New-Off-Road-Electric-Bicycle-48V-1000W-E-bike-with-48V-20AH-Li-ion-battery/181131116987?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D7476798023503358309%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D300801504979%26

Back