Best cheap hub motor for the Evel Enduro Bike frameset?

Sym

1 mW
Hi, I have been been wanting to build an e bike for a very long time now and I'd like to buy the Enduro frameset from Evel bike to do just that. First off, I am wondering if I can even buy one of them and have it shipped to the US. The low price and DIY capability is enticing compared to other similarly styled e bikes like the Stealth Bomber that is priced at like $10,000 haha. My second, and main question, is where can I find a good motor? I am looking to use it for commutes but also for some high speed fun. When I mean high speed, I don't mean 60 mph with a cromotor or anything. I just need help finding the cheapest motor that can bring me up to around 40+mph. I am still young and I weigh only around 125 pounds. I know of cheap 1000w motors floating around Amazon and Ebay for around $200-$300 but I am not sure that is enough or if they are even good enough for this frame. My budget for a motor is $600 max. My plan isn't to build the fastest thing out there. I just want to build a bike that will take me from place to place but also have the look of a higher end electric bike. Obviously I am on a budget and my knowledge of these things isn't great so any help is greatly appreciated. :D

And for those that question the fact I have no fork or rear shock, I forgot to include the fact that I already have these parts from by brother's downhill mountain bike he no longer has a use for.

Also I must add that if you do suggest a motor, also leave a guide line for what battery I should go for. My budget for a battery is flexible based on the price of the motor.

http://evelbike.com/catalog/accessories/frameset/electric-enduro-bike-frameset/

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong thread.

Good choice, but in fact, because you are so light, a cheap ass 1000w motor will do it for you. But you'll need to swap to a 72v 40 amps controller to run it.

Compare the price of the whole 1000w kit, and just the motor for the leaf 1500w. Buy the cheapest one, or the leaf if not too much more.

On the other hand, why squeeze the budget on the motor? That frame will want a $1000 fork, $800 rear shock, plus all the other bike stuff. Sure, you could get a cheap bike and use the fork and shock, but then you'd have a bike that rides for shit, and would actually be quite dangerous at 40 mph.

You are definitely on the right track with that frame, but if you can't build it out right, you really should just slap a 48v 1000w kit on it, and be happy with 30 mph for now. Then gradually, as you can, upgrade shocks, fork, brakes, etc. Then spend a lot on a 72v battery and big motor.

If you don't have $3000 now, you need to re think big time.

Besides, 30 mph is pretty fun, and cheap.

Start with budget. What are you able to spend, today and in the future? That will dictate a lot of the advice given.

You can definitely get one of those frame sets to the U.S.
But I'd go to a trusted vendor first, especially when they are selling at the same price.
Em3ev sells a bike that's identical (99% sure) at the same price.
But like Dogman said you need close to $2000 in cycle parts to do that frame and speed justice.
Maybe you can find a used DH bike that you can strip for parts, but you are still looking at some bucks before you even start the electrification process.

Just a thought. Are you an avid cyclist? Motorcyclist/dirt rider?
You may find 30mph plenty for a first go around. At that speed you are already stressing bicycle components designed for one human power. 30 mph on a regular bicycle, under 70 lbs can be quite thrilling.
Don't fall into the trap of I need the fastest thing possible that seems to be a common theme here. I'm willing to bet all the fastest builds/guys here started much slower. When I came to this site 40mph was an accomplishment, now it seems it's expected. Faster means more expensive, more eyes on you and more spectacular crashes.

As for motor, things start getting more and more complicated. As motors are wound for a certain speed at a certain voltage.
You need to find a battery voltage and motor wind that will achieve your goals.
Motor, controller and batteries should all be considered as one system and need parts and abilities to properly operate one another.

Hope I haven't scared you.
Ebikes are the best thing that happened to me.
My first real passion and worth the thousands of hours I've spent reading here.
So much to learn.

So rough ballpark, what are you willing to spend? What is your experience?

Dogman is Spot on with his recommendations .

Even if you could find a fork on closeout price of $ 500-$700 you would still need the rear shock even a low price one is hundreds of dollars,
so now you are up to $ 1,200 to $ 1,500 and still need a headset and a whole group set !
add that up and you could buy a whole bike like a ( This is just an example of one brand ) A Giant Trance or Giant Reign New, for the same price .
Depending on where you live you can buy a used Trance / Reign / Big Hit, Intense , etc. , on craigslist.org for $ 700-$ 1200 depending on if it is 10 years old or just 2 years old.

A frame without a front shock and rear shock is way to much of your time and money.

dogman dan said:
Good choice, but in fact, because you are so light, a cheap ass 1000w motor will do it for you. But you'll need to swap to a 72v 40 amps controller to run it.

Compare the price of the whole 1000w kit, and just the motor for the leaf 1500w. Buy the cheapest one, or the leaf if not too much more.

On the other hand, why squeeze the budget on the motor? That frame will want a $1000 fork, $800 rear shock, plus all the other bike stuff. Sure, you could get a cheap bike and use the fork and shock, but then you'd have a bike that rides for shit, and would actually be quite dangerous at 40 mph.

You are definitely on the right track with that frame, but if you can't build it out right, you really should just slap a 48v 1000w kit on it, and be happy with 30 mph for now. Then gradually, as you can, upgrade shocks, fork, brakes, etc. Then spend a lot on a 72v battery and big motor.

Couple of other thoughts.

Do you plan on off-road or just street? Hills? Distance required? Basically usage. These are major considerations when building.

That bike looks more like a moto than a bicycle. Are you prepared for that attn.?
Some places that doesn't matter at all, some jurisdictions will have cops eyeballing that unplated motorcycle looking thing that just blasted by at 40mph and licking their lips. Hope you live in the former.

dogman dan said:

The reason of why I haven't included the shocks and fork is because I already have them. I have parts high performance mountain bike parts that my brother gave me from his downhill mountain bike so such things aren't a budgetary issue

Beauty! But till you tell us, we can't know that. I was afraid you were going to put $100 in shock and fork, and then try to go 40 mph. We get em here. Some get away with it the way they ride. The way I ride, it would be a trip to the ER. I let er rip if I have it. so most of my bikes,,,, don't have it. :mrgreen: Safer for me that way. :roll:

In that case, you'd be best off to go with a big motor, regardless of budget. Even if battery costs force you to 48v, you still have a motor that won't let you down later. So nothing wrong with the muxus, leaf, or Crystalyte HS. Better than a 28 mm motor that really is not made for 3000w.

Back