2013: Year of illegal fast production ebike

mr.electric said:
The specialized and stormer get away with illegal speed by doing away with the throttle. You have to pedal it up to 30mph with these high end pedelecs. 30mph with a throttle would be a different story. These bikes are legal to ride in CA with no license. According to the bicycle magazine article and professional legal review.
A 30mph throttle bike is a different story. A 30 mph throttle bike is dangerous if sold to an unskilled over confident rider. More so if it is made with cheap chinese components. People have this funny trust in industry and think, this must be safe if it is sold on the open market. It takes some riding skill to navigate a fragile bicycle over city streets at 30 mph. New riders that are over confident could wreck. Don't get me wrong, I believe people should have the opportunity to try fast ebikes and should take responsibility for their own wrecks I just can't see a big successful company getting involved in making illegal ebikes.

Heaven forbid we in the U.S. make people RESOPNSIBLE for themselves!

Ebikes are kind of like guns:

There are many different kinds...
Some can be used by about anybody...
Some are more powerful/dangerous and need to be regulated...
Everyone deserves the right to have one (unless a felon)...
Non should be made illegal in themselves. It's how they are allowed to be used.

I just wrote a letter to my state delegates because of the new MD "scooter" law. If basicaly says ALL electric "mopeds" 1.5hp or less will be required to be titled and rider must have liability insurance.

I asked for an amendment, to exemp 750W or less, 20mph, per the federal law.

When do YOU think an electric bike/moped should be regulated? Under what specs? What regulation?

NONE..

Regulation of business is the reason this country is not the superpower it once was. Let the end use choose to abide by the speed limits in their area, PERIOD.

Back