250 WATT 8 FUN MOTOR

stesteste

1 mW
HI i recently bought ebike with 250 watt 8 fun motor it has this controller on it is they any wires to derestrict it so it wont cut out at 15 mph (heres some pics ),or is it worth dong the stunt mod to give it a bit more ooomph for hills any info appreicated
if i need a new controller if you have link please provide
my battery is 36v 10ah
thanks
20120411_130018.jpg

Attachments

• 20120411_125903.jpg
    20120411_125903.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 901
Look for wires that come out of the controller and plug into another wire that goes back into the controller. Unplug and test. For more torque, you need more amps. Doing a shunt mod can accomplish that. Wouldn't go higher than a 50% increase, from 14A to about 22A. the main problem is the motor. If it's a 250W motor, it's just not designed for a lot of power. Your unmodified controller is already putting up to 500W in it now. Raising that to 750W with a shunt mod should be ok as long as you don't work it too hard. A 50% increase in power will be noticeable, just not sure if it will be enough for you. OTOH, you could go to a 48V battery pack. That would both increase power and top speed without modifying the controller. You will still be limited by such a little motor.

thanks for reply looked in controller they are 2 sets of wires going back into controller shall i disconnect and try any prefrence on which to try first heres photo (both sets go back into controller
its not bad on hills just a little tweak i think ,need to buy same controller so i have back up just incase
thanks

Attachments

• 20120411_200341.jpg
    20120411_200341.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 2,251
You bike is most likely restricted by the motor, not the controller. The only restriction you get from the controllers is sometimes they have two single wires coming out of the controller about 6" long with a small connector at the end. When joined, your restricted; when not joined, you're not restricted.

About half the small controllers I've seen have the wires. If the controller doesn't have the wires, then there's no restriction.

Assuming that there's no restriction, the easiest way to get more speed is with a 44v battery pack or even 48v. You won't have to change your controller for 44v, but it might not work with 48v.

Next, you solder the shunt about 30% to get it up to about 18 amps. You can solder the shunt with your present set-up for more climbing power, but some of the cheaper 36v 10aH batteries are a bit weak, so you might find it cutting out under full power - especially when it's running down, so don't be greedy with your soldering to try and get even more amps. With 44v lipos or a Cell-man A123 pack, you can take it to 20amps - about the maximum the motor can take.

Whatever you do, be kind to your motor. Jumping off kerbs under full power will strip the teeth on the gears, and running up long steep hills at full throttle and 20 amps can overheat the motor.

i have a pic of the wires in above post do you know which 1 will be the derestrict (1 set is black and red other is grey and red )
thanks

stesteste said:
i have a pic of the wires in above post do you know which 1 will be the derestrict (1 set is black and red other is grey and red )
thanks
You haven't spread the wires, so it's impossible to see what you've got. You're looking for two separate thin single wires with small black connectors that match so that they can be joined - often white, but could be any colour. The wires you proposed in the photo up the page are double - not single - so cannot be them.

And if your controller isn't speed limited, the only way to increase speed is to raise the battery voltage. That will also increase torque.

Back