30 Ways to avoid offending the next person you meet...

bigmoose

1 MW
So I ran across this article today, and since we are an international board thought it interesting to share. I could so offend others with out the slightest clue...

http://gcaptain.com/culture-clash/?...ed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Gcaptain+(gCaptain.com)

Let’s visit the world’s continents, and see what you might want to avoid doing when dealing with or visiting a respective country.

1) In Western cultures, people are taught to look people in the eyes at all times; averting the eyes often signifies a lack of sincerity or confidence. In Japan on the other hand, constant eye contact is considered rude or even aggressive.
2) Business cards should be accepted with both hands as a sign of deference.
3) In Indonesia it is considered extremely rude to point with the forefinger. It is especially rude if the pointing is towards a person. When pointing the Indonesian uses his thumb.
4) In Thailand it is considered rude to cross your legs in company and to point your toes at another person. The feet, as the lowest part of the body, are given the lowest esteem and pointing a toe is demeaning to the person at whom the foot is pointed.
5) In the Philippines if someone is buying you a meal, the invitee orders first. The invited should order items equal to or below the cost of the invitee’s meal.
6) In China It is considered polite to decline a gift when it is first offered and the giver is expected to offer it multiple times. Also gifts are generally not opened in the giver’s presence.
7) In China and other Asian countries, it is considered impolite for a person to pour their own drink. Generally an individual will offer to pour a companion’s drink and the companion, in return will pour the individual’s drink.
8) In Bangladesh, the “Thumbs Up” gesture is considered an offensive insult.
9) Tipping is considered rude and is never done in Japan.
10)In German business dealings, moving your chair closer to the host is considered an insult.
11)In Russia prolonged direct eye contact may be considered aggressive or as invitation to more intimate relationships (especially with the opposite sex), so it should be avoided in business relationships.
12)In France, assuming that people speak English without inquiry may be found unpleasant; being able to greet in French and ask whether the Frenchman speaks English is highly appreciated.
13)Silence is golden throughout most of Scandinavia. Do not feel the need to fill any silence with conversation. Silence is often used as thinking time and the prelude to what will be said next.
14)In many European countries, punctuality is essential and any possible late arrival should be communicated in advance.
15)When doing business in the Middle East, handshakes are always used and can last a long time. Islamic etiquette recommends that one waits for the other to withdraw their hand first before doing the same. Always use the right hand. Do not be surprised if your hand is held while you are led somewhere.
16)In most Arab countries, it is considered polite and a sign of friendship for males to hold hands when walking. So don’t be alarmed or offended if this were to happen, as it does not have the romantic connotations that it does in the West.
17)The Middle Eastern culture places more value on someone’s word as opposed to a written agreement. A person’s word is connected to their honour.
18)Meetings should not be made too far in advance as changes in personal circumstances may impact your appointment. Once an appointment has been made, confirm it verbally with the person you will meet a few days before. Punctuality is expected of foreigners.
19)In Arab countries displaying the soles of one’s feet or touching somebody with one’s shoes is considered rude.
20)In Iraq the “Thumbs Up” gesture is considered an offensive insult.
21)When visiting someone’s home in Canada, the serving of coffee at the end of an evening is a signal that it is time for vsisitors to prepare to leave.
22)In the US it is considered impolite not to cover your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing. When someone else sneezes, it is customary to say “Bless you”. If someone says “Bless you” to you, it is customary to reply with “Thank you.”
23)In the US, one should address those significantly older than them as Mr., Sir, Mrs., Ma’am, Ms. or Miss. For example, it may be considered rude to address someone by their first name unless they have invited you to do so. In a professional setting this especially applies, however many people will ask you to refer to them by their last name.
24)South Americans like to talk in close proximity to each other. North Americans, and others, may see this as an invasion of personal space.
25)In many parts of Africa there is a cultural tendency toward a more relaxed attitude to time and punctuality.
26)In the cultures of sub-Saharan Africa, direct and frank communication is not the norm in most parts of the region as most Africans are uncomfortable with blunt statements.
27)In Ghana, asking a person to a social event implies that the person offering the invite will be paying for everything. Inviting a person out and then expecting them to pay for their own drinks or food is considered extremely rude.
28)In South Africa it is the custom to look someone in the eye whenever touching glasses for a toast. Varying superstitious results can follow should you not do so.
29)In Australia when riding alone in a taxi, it is considered polite to sit in the front passenger seat next to the driver.
30)Australians are known to use informal language, and therefore may refer to some foreigners as “mate” instead of using more respectful titles. An example of this is the former Prime Minister of Australia, John Howard, thanking the head of the United Nations for his support in the East Timor Crisis in year 2000, with the phrase: “I owe you a beer”.

29)In Australia when riding alone in a taxi, it is considered polite to sit in the front passenger seat next to the driver.

This is not a "polite custom" . ... it is a necessity !
the ( Asian/ middle Eastern/ African ) driver, wont have a clue as to how to get to your destination, so you will need to re-direct him frequently using hand gestures... (as he wont be able to understand English).
Also he probably wont be too experienced in the driving skills department either, so its wise to be within arms reach or the steering wheel and parking brake ! .. You may also have to help him shift gears ! :shock: :shock:

25)In many parts of Africa there is a cultural tendency toward a more relaxed attitude to time and punctuality.
:lol: :lol: Anyone who has lived or worked in Africa will know what an understatement that is, and know that if you dont adapt and adopt a similar relaxed attitude,..you will explode with frustration !
T.I.A. is the explanation for all delays etc...( This Is Africa !)

In defence of the seven taxi drivers in Perth, 4 of whom are from overseas... :lol:

I have always had a positive experience with them. They are polite, friendly, know where they are going, and do not engage in rabid partisan diatribes about whatever Alan Jones deems newsworthy. Granted, the streets of Perth are easy to work out, but I have only ever had positive experiences.

The white Australian taxi drivers I have experienced are arrogant douches who blame all of their misfortune on the immigrant taxi drivers. Every single one. I turned to one of them one evening and said, "at the risk of walking home, everything you have just said is total horseshit." He did drive me al the way home, but thankfully not a single word came from his mouth thereafter.

BTW there are more than 7 taxis, but you are hard pressed to get one on a Friday night...

I spent 2.5 days in France in February and was warned by the Englishman working at the hotel I was staying to expect some of my encounters with the Parisians to be rude since I didn't speak French. I asked for a quick lesson while on the plane ride their from the person next to me.

Excuse moi, Parlez vous ingles? = excuse me, do you speak English? It worked absolute wonders and every place I went on my own I was treated with lots of respect. No rudeness what so ever. If the person I asked said no they always asked me to wait a minute by gesturing or saying something and then got someone who did speak for me. Always with a smile too.

In the two days I was there, I heard two separate stories from people visiting about getting treated rudely by the Parisians because they didn't speak French. #1 rule for me is when I go to a new country, learn just a few basic words phrases and it works wonders for how your treated. It's gone a very long way for me in Hong Kong since I speak a little Cantonese. The shop keepers have often given me a discount when I ask for it in Cantonese and are shocked I know how to speak any at all since it's very rare for a white person to know how to say anything that they can understand because it's such a difficult language to pronounce correctly. Even when entering Taxi's I always ask them if they speak English in Cantonese first. Have had some good conversations with Chinese who are really happy to hear a white person speak Cantonese at all and am often asked how I learned (I guess my accent is good enough that they think I speak way more than I do and am often complimented on it).

I like the thread Big Moose. When traveling the world it's always wise to learn a little of the culture before visiting to avoid making mistakes. Two hand rule for credit cards and name cards in China too. Also don't put name cards in your pocket or wallet in the presence of the other person, it's disrespectful.

Two quick stories. I participated in a meeting with a Japanese delegation coming to our company a while back. A friend tutored me in the importance of the business card etiquette. And taught me the line (phoenetically remembered) What tashi no me ishi des! It is supposed to be a respectful greeting as you exchange business cards and ponder them. I was the only one that prepared this way in my company. It appeared one of the members thought I was fluent in Japanese from this greeting, as he was very guarded talking to his colleagues in Japanese during the meeting when I was near him; but the bubble was burst when he dialogued with me full speed at the end of the meeting... not really dialogue, as it was one way! BTW the delegation entered the building and the conference room by rank. Extreme deference to the senior member.

My soon to be son in law is Chinese and I have always enjoyed cooking Chinese well before I met him. I go to the city once a week and buy fresh at the Chinese market. There too I have been trying to learn a few words. Shi sha was all I wanted to master. As I checked out, I replied with shi sha... she tilted her head in wonder, I tried again, and she said... oh you mean shi sha... It sounded the same to me. I obviously missed something very significant, that to this day I cannot discern.

I am doomed with Asian languages, but keep trying.

Big moose, both Mandarin and Cantonese are tonal languages. If you use the wrong tone, it means something totally different. Mandarin has 4 tones, Cantonese officially 6. Same word, said different ways, totally different meanings. Only way to write it in romanization is Pinyin for Mandarin and Jyutping for Cantonese. You just need to practice and mimic exactly. I actually started learning characters too and know maybe about 100 or so but I'm not really trying, just picked it up on my visits.

Good example is asking for a hot dog in Cantonese, say it with the wrong tone and it basically means you want hot dick. Lot's of funny to be had learning. Same with talking about a computer, one way means computer, the other means a persons crazy brain lol.

BTW, you probably got a lot of respect from the Japanese because of what you said and how well you said it. I think most cultures, especially Asian give a lot of respect to those who are willing to learn their language, even if only a few words. I get a ton of smiles when I'm in the Philippines and speak a little Tagalog. Then again, when I visit my Fiances Village (technically a Barangay, but most won't know what that is so I'll say village) everyone was a bit shocked to see a white person wondering around there for a few weeks and I was treated with a lot of respect because it's not common for a young white male to stay in the boon docks (actually boon docks is Americanized Filipino for mountain people aka far away from everything). So is dili dali.

For Mandinka-speaking West Africans, "photo" means "penis". I once watched a guy trying to ask a couple of older women if he could take their picture. He knew how to say "I want to ______ you" in Mandinka. I think it is "N'lafita _____ ite" (It's been 24 years, use with caution). He did not know the word for "photograph". Actually, I don't think there is a Mandinka word. They use "picture" to mean "photograph". Anyway, he kept saying over and over, "N'lafita photo ite?" which roughly translates to "Can I penis you?".

The women were smart enough to know he had no idea what he was saying (he was a white American in the middle of nowhere, West Africa), and they were laughing hysterically.

It is true that men who are friends hold hands in West Africa. It is rude not to greet people thoroughly, frequently by asking a lot questions such as how their family is, how their mother is, how their father is, where is their family, where is their compound, how is the day, if they are at peace (once in Arabic and once in a West African language), etc. Sometimes after asking all this, the person will start over and ask it all over again; this can take a long time. It is rude to take or give anything with your left hand. Also, it is common to be asked for an item of clothes if someone likes it. It is also common to say "I will give it to you when I have washed it". If someone compliments you on something you have on (watch, clothes, etc.), it is common to offer to give it to them. Sometimes they will accept (I lost two watches this way). It is rude not to bargain or to bargain too inflexibly for most items (not including food). Men do not wear shorts except when exercising, no matter how hot it gets. Women never do. Women also often don't wear tops around their compound and it would be rude to stare at a women not wearing a top. It is as common as a woman not wearing shoes in her house so no one would bother anyway. However, showing their legs (unless there is a river to cross, etc.) would be a big deal. It is not unusual for someone who might be considered your friend, no matter how slightly, to come in your house and take something (usually something of low value, not like an expensive gadget) without telling you. It would be extremely rude to accuse them of theft. Being accused of stealing can get you beaten to death on the spot. Also, you usually don't ask them to return the item, but if you can borrow it. Underwear were very prized and disappear often. This is in the more rural areas. In the cities, it is different.

A story about the severity of using your left hand in the middle east. Traditions die hard, even when they are no longer relevant. For centuries, the Arabic culture made money by using camel caravans to carry trade-goods from the east to europe, and back. Thats why they were so advanced at an early date concerning astronomy, for navigating the desert at night.

When crossing the desert before the invention of toilet paper (we're all adults here, right?), you have to decide on customs that make sense (in a primitive society) concerning how you're going to eat food. Sooo...you eat food with your right hand and (ahem..) wipe your nether-regions with your left. Even though modern Arabs have indoor toilets, soap, and toilet paper (even bidets),...doing ANYthing with your left hand is still considered quite rude.

jonescg said:
In defence of the seven taxi drivers in Perth, 4 of whom are from overseas... :lol:

I have always had a positive experience with them. They are polite, friendly, know where they are going, and do not engage in rabid partisan diatribes about whatever Alan Jones deems newsworthy. Granted, the streets of Perth are easy to work out, but I have only ever had positive experiences....

you must be getting the top graduates from the Sydney Taxi training grounds ! :lol: :lol:
Honestly, i have had a taxi driver who did not know how to turn the headlights on after dark . ( i had to show him !)
..and another who refused to turn on the wipers in rain..because they distracted him.
If it wasnt for the GPS, the Taxi system would fail completely !
Also EVERY taxi i have been in, the driver has had several conversations on a hand held mobile whilst driving, and "texting" into their taxi system computer whilst driving is also common.. :shock:

having said all that, ..there is no way i would do their job. It is reportedly the most dangerous job in Australia !.
.. and one of the worst paid. :cry:

In the course of my traveling the world, nobody gives a damn what fork you use or what finger you point with etc.

I've got some tips for not offending other cultures.

Stop invading them with massive war machines and killing them while your own economy collapses into ruin on itself.

:mrgreen:

Personally I like offending people, even more especially if they are from cultures other than my own.

liveforphysics said:
Stop invading them with massive war machines and killing them while your own economy collapses into ruin on itself.

Funny $hit, that. And true.

From an earlier post, in rural parts of West Africa, at least 20 years ago, there was no toilet paper or toilets. People still used their left hand as you described it. A toilet was a hole about a foot in diameter in the ground. There was a small can of water beside the hole. You used your left hand to splash your arse and then soap and the rest of the water to wash your hand. Not using your left-hand for eating was not so much a tradition as it was an issue of additional protection from E. coli contamination. I am guessing it is still that way. I'm sure in Westernized and urban parts of West Africa, a person, esp. a non-African, would be given some latitude on the "no left hand" rule. But in the bush country, I am certain it would still be highly offensive to use your left hand to eat from a communal bowl. The other stuff I did, they would just put down to my being a crazy "toubob".

And by the way, if you think of it, wiping your arse with paper and calling that clean is pretty crazy.

^Some research shows it's healthier to use water ^_^. I used a water-toilet once in a Tokyo Airport (was a transfer, never really been to Japan). Was odd, and uncomfortable in so far as feeling weird, but not a horrible idea, if mind is kept open. Can't run out of paper that way :p.

I know in India, at least in Rajasthan, you still won't find toilet paper outside of places for foreigners and the westernized. You will however find a little flexible hose shower head and/or a big plastic cup and little faucet. Washing your hands afterwards is completely clean.

For another matter, squatting toilets are less likely to give you hernias.

liveforphysics said:
In the course of my traveling the world, nobody gives a damn what fork you use or what finger you point with etc.

I've got some tips for not offending other cultures.

:mrgreen:

Agree
Maybe even consider something totaly radical. Like we could make more friends using gutiars than guns.

In many Spanish-speaking countries you should not just start asking workers, drivers, etc. to take you somewhere or anything else until you have made relatively formal greetings, such as Buenos Dias. It's not cool to just walk up and ask. Say hello properly first. Make a compliment.

And never bribe a cop in Mexico. Bribery is illegal.

Instead you say, "I feel very irresponsible about this and I apologize. I know I shouldn't ask you for any favors, sir, but is it possible for you to forward the correct fine for me to the proper authorities? I don't know my way around here very well and trust you would handle this much better than I could."

;)

MikeFairbanks said:
;)

3 $20's hanging out of the passport when they ask to see it seems to do the trick nicely in most countries I've visited.

In New Zealand everything works better if beer is involved. Not even petrol works that good.
And I agree, before asking me, where's my beer?

liveforphysics said:
MikeFairbanks said:
;)

3 $20's hanging out of the passport when they ask to see it seems to do the trick nicely in most countries I've visited.

Yeah, Luke loves overpaying those "fines". I for one like the way it works. eg I get caught and pay a reasonable penalty immediately and painlessly, with the proceeds going to those who need $ the most.

bigmoose said:
Two quick stories. I participated in a meeting with a Japanese delegation coming to our company a while back. A friend tutored me in the importance of the business card etiquette. And taught me the line (phoenetically remembered) What tashi no me ishi des! It is supposed to be a respectful greeting as you exchange business cards and ponder them. I was the only one that prepared this way in my company. It appeared one of the members thought I was fluent in Japanese from this greeting, as he was very guarded talking to his colleagues in Japanese during the meeting when I was near him; but the bubble was burst when he dialogued with me full speed at the end of the meeting... not really dialogue, as it was one way! BTW the delegation entered the building and the conference room by rank. Extreme deference to the senior member.

My soon to be son in law is Chinese and I have always enjoyed cooking Chinese well before I met him. I go to the city once a week and buy fresh at the Chinese market. There too I have been trying to learn a few words. Shi sha was all I wanted to master. As I checked out, I replied with shi sha... she tilted her head in wonder, I tried again, and she said... oh you mean shi sha... It sounded the same to me. I obviously missed something very significant, that to this day I cannot discern.

hey Mr big moose...

its people who think and speak who will save the world from ourselves...

thank-you- and may i commend your and your family to bring peace and understanding to our world..

shi sha...

bigmoose said:
Shi sha was all I wanted to master. As I checked out, I replied with shi sha... she tilted her head in wonder, I tried again, and she said... oh you mean shi sha... It sounded the same to me. I obviously missed something very significant, that to this day I cannot discern.

My Father in law explained it to me in American phonetics, which I like to think of as Anglo-Saxon eubonics. He said "think of a good irish chap named O'Shea, and say his name without the 'O'. Say it twice and you have Shea-Shea ."

The other phrase he taught me was the greeting "How are you?": knee-how-ma

I usually get a warm response, so I hope I am saying it right. I also hope that he didn't really teach me to say "I'm I giant dorky white guy".

oatnet said:
I usually get a warm response, so I hope I am saying it right. I also hope that he didn't really teach me to say "I'm I giant dorky white guy".

Thank you! I have now learned a new phrase and a new way to say my old phrase! The fact that you get a warm response carries considerable merit with me. I'll take a run back to town next week and I'll let you know. Last time, I think I did say something close to "I'm I giant dorky white guy" :oops:

Back