3000W HUB MOTOR + 72V 25AH + 80a CONTROLLER BUILD?!?

Jezza68

1 µW
Hi all, I recently bought a 3000w hub motor kit paired with a 80a controller and a 72v 25ah battery (with 80a bms). I am currently converting this onto a Giant Talon 1 mtb hardtail frame. Firstly wanted to know if there is anything that I should know with this kind of build due to me being fairly new to this. Will this sort of pairing work? I did a test run with some mates the other day and figured out i have a problem with my brake rotor bolts rubbing into my phase wires. As well as i also somehow cracked/chipped half of the top end of the dropout. Is there anyway to fix either of these issues???

Any help and insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jedd

What frame?
A picture of your drop-outs with the condition that you describe would be most informative.

You are going to need a much stronger frame for that motor and a brake disk spacer to stop the wiring from rubbing on the brake disc screws.

What torque arms did you fit? I can’t see where you have drilled a retaining hole for the torque arms.

If it is the motor that I think you have then a disc brake spacer like this is needed to stop the cable from chaffing.

IMG_0221.jpeg

And torque arms similar to these to stop the frame from breaking.

IMG_0223.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, that dropout is too far gone for a 3000W/80A build.

Depending on your skills, you may be able to fabricate some bolt-on dropout reinforcement/TA combos.

Examples:

torqueplate4.jpg

dscn1955a-jpg.104915

img_20130611_105004-jpg.123995

An off the shelf product like this might secure the axle in the broken dropout sufficiently:

ta-torqarm_v7_wsplineclamp.jpg

Back