36 volt BBS02B on 48 volt?

Jasperg

1 µW
Hi,

I'm about to purchase a BBS02 to build into my Strada velomobile. In the past I have had a TSZD2B, and while I liked it, the cadence limit was always an issue.
Does Bafang use different controllers in the 36 volt versions or is it just programming? IE, if I buy a 36 volt one, will it let the magic smoke out if I program and use it for 48 volt?

Thanks,

Jasper

PS> I'm new to the forum, and did try to search but didn't come up with anything. Please go easy on me!

Attachments

• 20230806_165650.jpg
    20230806_165650.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Dont give the bbs02 to much power, pedal on take-off will help, no crunchy gear changes.

Dont give the bbs02 to much power, pedal on take-off will help, no crunchy gear changes.
I'm not really looking to use a lot of power. I already have a 48v battery, and see no point in paying the premium for a 48v motor if all I have to do is reprogram it.

While I don't have a link to the previous threads about running BBSxx systems on different voltages than they were meant for, and I haven't read them in some time, there are some potential issues to consider:

The motor will be wound for a certain speed at a certain voltage (kV). If you run it at a higher voltage it will spin proportionally faster for the same throttle or assist setting. You can correct this to the wheel via gearing, but your pedalling will have to be that much faster to keep up with it.

The HVC and LVC of the controller will be set for the voltage range the system was built for. This may or may not be user-programmable.

The hardware of the controller other than the LVPS (that makes 5v, 12v, etc out of the battery voltage) is likely to work on either voltage without smoking, but the LVPS itself might have an input stage setup for only one or other and not operate as intended without modification on the other.

There are different firmwares available for certain BBSxx systems, some of which support different voltages, but they are not all intercompatible with all versions of the hardware; it's possible to brick a controller by flashing it with the wrong firmware...and there's no *certain* way to know a particulare hardware works with a particular firmware unless you can find a post stating someone has used that specific combination successfully; Bafang changes things without notice in all of their systems. :(

I don't know how many of these results might be relevant, but since the present xenforo search is not very good, this google search might help

This is a search on the older archived forum that may also be useful:

Back