4 inch diameter Astro motors coming soon..........

Byte said:
What about Plettenberg? A high quality (very pricey) German company who also makes BIG outrunners. I'm very happy with the 1 motor I got from them, for RC-cars though.
I have a Plettenberg Terminator. It is a great motor. However, it only has a 8mm shaft (too small) and it is $1,100. It is tough enough coming up with $700 for a Astro.......

There are other options out there for motors, though. I just have to parcel my time between research items. :)

Matt

recumpence said:
Byte said:
What about Plettenberg? A high quality (very pricey) German company who also makes BIG outrunners. I'm very happy with the 1 motor I got from them, for RC-cars though.
I have a Plettenberg Terminator. It is a great motor. However, it only has a 8mm shaft (too small) and it is $1,100. It is tough enough coming up with $700 for a Astro.......

There are other options out there for motors, though. I just have to parcel my time between research items. :)

Matt

FYI the predator series all got 10mm shafts, but you probably already knew that :p

Oh and the famous but very very pricey Blacktrail from PG Bikes also use a Predator iirc and a Schulze ESC.

blacktrail-pg-bikes.jpg

The Predator does not come with a shaft from what I remember. That must be a custom thing (or a very recent thing). But, they are [gulp] $1,400! And, the efficiency is actually relatively poor. My Terminator is 82% efficient IIRC, while Astros peak at over 94% efficient!

I do love Plettemberg, though. I run them in my helis.

Matt

WOw!! 4 Inch diameter Astro?!

Hmmmmm does this mean there is going to be a glut in the 3200 series used market for those of us in the 2kw crowd soon?! :mrgreen:

Any of the 3200 series approach 27 Kv speeds? :D

Bear in mind, the 3 inch motors are not a direct comparison for the 4 inch motors. This is kind of like saying since GM came out with a big block, there would be no market for small black motors. There will always be a market for both. For one thing, the 4 inch motor will be heavier than the 3 inch, and cost more. But, what is it they say "If you want to play, you gotta pay" ---- or ---- "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" :mrgreen:

Matt

recumpence said:
Bear in mind, the 3 inch motors are not a direct comparison for the 4 inch motors. This is kind of like saying since GM came out with a big block, there would be no market for small black motors. There will always be a market for both. For one thing, the 4 inch motor will be heavier than the 3 inch, and cost more. But, what is it they say "If you want to play, you gotta pay" ---- or ---- "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" :mrgreen:

Matt

So very true, I am so excited about the 4 inch especially since you are designing a case with real cooling fins! (not those silly ones so many electric motors still use that go the length of the can instead of the design you are using which is much more like a ICE cylinder head).

Not sure how soon I would be able to afford one, but man they sound like exactly what I would love in a mid-drive! :twisted:

What will be the lower end on the Kv for the 4inch?

So Matt, it is near the end of Feb and I have been saving my pennies, lots and lots of pennies, do we have any good news?

I offered to send them a sensor solution......for free.......a looong time ago.

Anyway, ypedal has it now so maybe something good will come out of it. :D

mdd0127 said:
I offered to send them a sensor solution......for free.......a looong time ago.

Anyway, ypedal has it now so maybe something good will come out of it. :D
A number of people did a long time ago. First, Bob was not interested in looking into it because he was nearing retirement. The new owners have been buried learning the rest of the business. Now, the planets are all in alignment and they are moving forward.

You have to remember, there are logical reasons for everything. Companies (especially in this economy) do not turn down a new market unless there is a very good reason. I am pleased sensors are finally in the works.

Matt

Thanks for the update Matt. Any pics? This motor is going to be awesome! Do you have a wild ass guess on a price yet?

drewjet said:
Thanks for the update Matt. Any pics? This motor is going to be awesome! Do you have a wild ass guess on a price yet?
I have pictures that I am not at liberty to share as of yet and I was specifically told by Astro not to make any guesses on cost or specs. I can tell you the terget of this motor is something capable of light motorcycle duty and will be priced accordingly.

Matt

I am definitely interested in a couple of these when they become available and that the price is I suppose. What is the likelihood of being able to align two of these along the same shaft and running them off of one controller? I haven't been able to find anyone doing this with any 3220 or other astro motor yet. Looking forward to see more specs.

Thanks for making all this available to us Matt!
-Kyle

I should imagine that they'll be, at least, as expensive the Neu 44XX series.....
http://www.neumotors.com/Site/Motor_Price_List.html
http://www.neumotors.com/Site/4400_series.html

Miles said:
I should imagine that they'll be, at least, as expensive the Neu 44XX series.....
http://www.neumotors.com/Site/Motor_Price_List.html
http://www.neumotors.com/Site/4400_series.html

Awesome! I remember those motors being in the making 2 years ago, now they're finally available. Did anyone actually ran a NEU motor on his bike?

Curious how much the new 4" Astros will cost. Should be an superb motor for our bikes :)

Well, if you email Neu about obtaining one of their 4 inch motors, you will not even get a reply. I have no clue why they even have them listed on their site.

In fact, even Nic Case (top speed world record holder who is sponsored by Neu) cannot get an answer on that motor.........

Matt

I've emailed neu 4 times and never got a response. Called twice and the phone just rang. It looks like someone updated the website recently though??? Maybe they're anti e-bike? I really wish someone with good business skills would start making nice motors!

any update on those motors please?

are they going to be OK for higher V than 50?

thanks! :)

mdd0127 said:
I've emailed neu 4 times and never got a response. Called twice and the phone just rang. It looks like someone updated the website recently though??? Maybe they're anti e-bike? I really wish someone with good business skills would start making nice motors!

Off topic, but have you guys thought about contacting Steve Neu through his RCGroups page? http://www.rcgroups.com/neumotors-417/

If he won't answer his business phone or emails, why on earth would anyone even do business with him at all???

Why can't there be a company that makes awesome motors.....aaaaand has decent service???? Shouldn't be so difficult!

mdd0127 said:
If he won't answer his business phone or emails, why on earth would anyone even do business with him at all???

Why can't there be a company that makes awesome motors.....aaaaand has decent service???? Shouldn't be so difficult!

I'm with you 100% on this one, but I just wanted to help with another way of contacting Neumotors. I know that e-mails can go to junk folder and never gets checked or deleted. Maybe Neumotors are not as big as most thinks and nobody is available to answer the phone, not sure on that one, but it might (big might) be the case.

Lets see what Steve's reply will be: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1618504

Matt, what motor cooling are you thinking with this motor?

Steve sucks,
He make bad designs and does not stand behind them...I would not trust his stuff.
Have a look at what he cost some peoples.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497537

Back