4500+ Miles US Ebike Tour - August 2014

Badass you made it to the Rockies. Take an extra day or so to ride into them a few miles. But It's time to turn home now for sure. I don't see how you have time to ride home through Santa Fe now. Meeting you at the Colorado border would have been fun for sure. ( but likely not possible for me anyway)

dogman said:
Badass you made it to the Rockies. Take an extra day or so to ride into them a few miles. But It's time to turn home now for sure. I don't see how you have time to ride home through Santa Fe now. Meeting you at the Colorado border would have been fun for sure. ( but likely not possible for me anyway)

Yeah I think you're probably right. Greg won't mind if I end up having time to stop by and visit him anyway :)

interesting to see on map from boulder to rochester that it looks almost all downhill. :p

curious to see how that affects your pace!

if you do come to dc, you'll have to cross Appalachian mtns (on way here and then back to NY). how does the bike like going uphill?

looks like you had some flats and charger issues? that it for maintenance stops so far?

If you do come through DC, there are a few folks here that would gladly ride the the 44 mile W&OD rail trail w/ you, though you might want to head north on 15 before you got to the city.

If you end up anywhere near New Castle Pa 16101 which is about 40 miles north west of Pittsburgh and need someplace to charge I added you on FB and usually can reach me easily through there.

Very nice tour.

For those interested in long distance e-bike tours you may find those thread in the German forum interesting.

"Kundu" is on a 12,000km tour from China to Germany with an electric bike (two hub motors, 2kWh battery):

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/mit-dem-elektrofahrrad-von-china-nach-deutschland.28979/

It's in German, but maybe a translator tool will help?

Cephalotus said:
Very nice tour.

For those interested in long distance e-bike tours you may find those thread in the German forum interesting.

"Kundu" is on a 12,000km tour from China to Germany with an electric bike (two hub motors, 2kWh battery):

http://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?threads/mit-dem-elektrofahrrad-von-china-nach-deutschland.28979/

It's in German, but maybe a translator tool will help?

Wow that's amazing! I'll do what I can to read about that. Super cool!

Here it is in english, or as good of english as google translate can do. It's a little hard to follow. I thought he said he was already to 10,000km but after less than a month that doesn't make sense. He's probably average 180 km per day though so that's a good pace. Man this world record is becoming ever more unachievable. I wonder if this german guy is documenting it for the record or just doing it for the experience.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pedelecforum.de%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fthreads%2Fmit-dem-elektrofahrrad-von-china-nach-deutschland.28979%2F

Way to go! :D

Yesterday and today were really rough. Only ended up with about 100 miles either day. Last night I got stuck in Colorado Springs in strip mall hell with no place to stay. Between yesterday and today I've had 4 flats. Very frustrating.Today was ridiculously hot too. Almost 100 degrees. I have to get out super early in the morning in order to get the mileage in. Hopefully nothing blows up in the heat. I still have 2 more weeks, but man I'm really to make some progress towards home!

The sunset over the Rockies last night made it all worth it though. I have definitely had a few wtf. Moments the last few days.

I have not been able to keep up with the video updates and the mileage as well, but if things start to go better I'll get back on them.

Bet those damn flats were on the rear tire too. :roll: And, in the afternoon when it's 100. I had to rebuild my oversize cargo pods to get them to hinge away for an easier flat fix. Wore out a tire in the last year with no flats. Then the next two both ruined by hitting some large sharp thing in the road. One just a rock, but the edge just like a flint knife. Both new rear tires gone in about 20 miles each. Both times, not carrying another tire, and its 105 or so. :evil:

When the shit seems to pile up, just remember the dude abides.

Keep grabbing video, we can watch it in September.

dogman said:
Bet those damn flats were on the rear tire too. :roll: And, in the afternoon when it's 100. I had to rebuild my oversize cargo pods to get them to hinge away for an easier flat fix. Wore out a tire in the last year with no flats. Then the next two both ruined by hitting some large sharp thing in the road. One just a rock, but the edge just like a flint knife. Both new rear tires gone in about 20 miles each. Both times, not carrying another tire, and its 105 or so. :evil:

A

Will do the editing is slow because I have to focus on the task at hand but I should have a few more soon. In Kansas right now camping out under a shelter in some Park. The wind is so intense that I opted to camp right next to a strong brick wall. Upto about 2600 miles. Not doing too bad, did another 200 mile day yesterday. Now if I could only get some sleep:p v

dogman said:

A

Will do the editing is slow because I have to focus on the task at hand but I should have a few more soon. In Kansas right now camping out under a shelter in some Park. The wind is so intense that I opted to camp right next to a strong brick wall. Upto about 2600 miles. Not doing too bad, did another 200 mile day yesterday. Now if I could only get some sleep:p v

grindz145 said:
Upto about 2600 miles. Not doing too bad, did another 200 mile day yesterday. Now if I could only get some sleep:p v
Totally amazing. Not until you're back, we all want to know what your daily average was and how you managed so many miles in a day, what the secret formula is. Best for safety on your return!

arkmundi said:
grindz145 said:
Upto about 2600 miles. Not doing too bad, did another 200 mile day yesterday. Now if I could only get some sleep:p v
Totally amazing. Not until you're back, we all want to know what your daily average was and how you managed so many miles in a day, what the secret formula is. Best for safety on your return!

+1 to arkmundi's question! I'm very interested in the stats you've seen go by and any comment you might have about how the bike performed on the trip. I'd say for a rear drive hubmotor on a longtail, you're now one of a very elite group of ebikers in the US and have gotten to see your ebike performance in ways few of us ever do.

Troy, it looks like you are now benefitting from a predominant tailwind (vs. the headwind riding west). Before, you seemed to be making 23-25mph regularly, and every time I've checked you on Glympse, it says you're doing somewhere between 25 and 27mph. I'm hoping you'll be able to make 200 mile days routinely AND get some good sleep!

early pic of the bike from one of your vids:
troys%2Bcargo.png

that seat doesn't look like anything special. i don't see how you lasted on it for more than 25 miles, let alone 150 per day..

also looking forward to detailed stats at the end of the trip!

Awesome adventuring Troy!

You are inspiring me!

Enjoy every moment brother!

ATB,
-Luke

GCinDC said:
early pic of the bike from one of your vids:
troys%2Bcargo.png

that seat doesn't look like anything special. i don't see how you lasted on it for more than 25 miles, let alone 150 per day..

also looking forward to detailed stats at the end of the trip!

I am indeed keeping detailed stats just haven't been able to post everything.

198 miles yesterday with about 5kwh use from memory.

Hoping to stop in Lawrence KS tomorrow. The adventure is fantastic but I would be lying if I said that I'm not home sick. Hopefully I can do at least a few more videos before I get home!

grindz145 said:
198 miles yesterday with about 5kwh use from memory. Hoping to stop in Lawrence KS tomorrow. The adventure is fantastic but I would be lying if I said that I'm not home sick. Hopefully I can do at least a few more videos before I get home!

GO TROY GO! You are making remarkable progress - you'll easily make Missouri tomorrow!

jkbrigman said:
grindz145 said:
198 miles yesterday with about 5kwh use from memory. Hoping to stop in Lawrence KS tomorrow. The adventure is fantastic but I would be lying if I said that I'm not home sick. Hopefully I can do at least a few more videos before I get home!

GO TROY GO! You are making remarkable progress - you'll easily make Missouri tomorrow!

The pace is killing me. I made another 170 or so today. Wayyy too hot with a ridiculous hot headwind. I broke down a bit today, couldn't handle it. I've got another 10 days or so and the thought of doing this for another 10 days is a little daunting. I have to take it a day at a time because I'm going to look back at how awesome this is, and wonder why I was such a wimp :)

frocking 102 degree heat is brutal though, I'm not programmed for this crap.

Not a whole lot to report from Kansas today other than it's hot and windy.

I'm hoping to stop in Lawrence KS tomorrow night. A few of my favorite bands from high school came from that town so I've always been curious. Keep an eye on the youtube channel, should be another new one tonight. Note that all of my shit has been uploading to my troy rank youtube channel. Im not sure why, but whatever, I'll fix it later.

grindz145 said:
The pace is killing me. I made another 170 or so today. Wayyy too hot with a ridiculous hot headwind. I broke down a bit today, couldn't handle it. I've got another 10 days or so and the thought of doing this for another 10 days is a little daunting. I have to take it a day at a time because I'm going to look back at how awesome this is, and wonder why I was such a wimp :) frocking 102 degree heat is brutal though, I'm not programmed for this crap. Not a whole lot to report from Kansas today other than it's hot and windy.

Can you stop at a campground in Lawrence or Kansas City (with good charging and showers) just to get some good rest for a little while? You deserve a few good hours of rest, man.

You're tougher than you've ever been, right now. Everything you've done on the trip up to this point has prepared you to do this and to make it home. You can slay this dragon. You are closer to succeeding than anyone else has ever been!.

It's supposed to rain in Lawrence tonight, leaving it cool there in the morning. Get there as fast as you can and you can enjoy some of that coolness before the temps rise to the low-90's. Either way, it's not going to be as hot in Lawrence as it was today. If you go as far north as Springfield, IL by Thursday the humidity will get much more bearable. Highs in the low 90's, lows in the low 70's and a 9-10mph WSW wind at your back.

My old stomping grounds. Played LIberty Hall more than a few times, LOL....

If you wanna go into midtown KC BBQ, classic Aurthur Bryant would be my choice but Gates & Sons or practically any joint will feed you well if you're into that thing.

I would suggest sticking just north of KC, maybe 24Hwy? About 5 miles east of Carrollton, MO along 24Hwy you'll pass my dad & brothers' industrial Diesel shop. Lemme know if that times out for you and I'll let 'em know you might stop by? Especially if you need any welding, tools, repair, or place to crash, etc.

HOT, eh? August can be brutal and it's not just the heat but that HUMIDITY, oh my....

Ride on!

102,, OMG. I was wondering before you started if Kansas in August would be just as bad as further south. Yep. I would have rode to Canada myself.

Just like the TDF riders, you need a rest day. But a rest day still means 40-50 miles. If you actually stop, you'll have to rent a truck after one day of no riding. No shame if you do that the last day just to make it home in time.

Your secret is obvious, youth and testosterone. You are simply badass. The saddle secret is likely that he stands the pedals most of the day, putting only about 10% of his weight on the saddle like real riders do. Bet all your chafing is on the side of the leg, right?

Way to go!!!

Back