48v 20ah

bebob

100 µW
Just got my Ping battery. Running a 36v front hub brushed motor. I am just amazed on the hills. And mind you i have a trike as well with a weird gearing that i had to make. Still i cannot peddle fast enough. Must find new gearing. adding trailer and 50+ pounds tools this should get me through the long Alaska winter in good form. Any other cold riders out there?.

Not Alaska cold, only Colorado cold. There have been a number of topics on cold riding in the past. I haven't seen anything recently.

Try to keep the battey pretty warm. You might see some a slight decrease in performance due to voltage sag. They are supposed to be operational at low temps but I dont think they hold the same capacity or voltage at very cold temps. They also charge differently at very cold temps. If you charge right after a discharge the IR of the battery should warm it up enough to were it should operate properly. Insulate insulate insulate!

Thanks Icecube. I am building case with super insulation-protection-waterproof-safe. Storage and charging is at 40+degrees F so i don't expect much problem there. Being that the board is the first thing to get cold i am scared of the shocks when it does get cold so building the best container is my goal. Building new trike with 7 cluster hub midway crank and rear axle. Hills and flats should even out. Custom lexan cowl is in the works as i learn more about heat forming.

Traveling in style is coming of age in the great north.

Hey bebob! What kind of trike do you have?

I have used two 10 ah pings at 48 volts in parallel for the past 14 months. Rode all through the winter. Coldest day was -34 Celsius (-29 F). I had them wrapped with closed cell foam inside paniers. I also charged inside during the winter. I don't think the batteries every had a chance to freeze with them being wrapped and outside only when riding. My rides were about an hour each way. Happy to report no noticeable voltage sag. I've been using a 5304 with a 35 amp controller which is possibly much harder on the batteries than your setup.

This is the end for these batteries now though - I recently soaked one of them on a rainy day and fried the BMS. Replaced it and tried to do the solder surgery to fix a puffed cell group at the same time. It lasted for a little while, but now the range is gone and the pack is puffed in two or three more places so I'm going to retire the Pings and go with two ebikes.ca 8ah48v sanyo 3c packs.

To Ebent. i have an old miami sun trike that was brought to Alaska for a downs child and it ended on a beach a couple towns over. It had a 24v moter and was all seised by the salt water. I did rebuild the motor but the controller just didnt make it. The thing has a slight bend in the frame so i dont go down the street quite strait.I put in a wildernass 36v motor and have been running it on three 12v snomachine gel packs at 75lbs. But i have used it for two winters now and it is kind of a work horse. i got parts from salvation army and geared it up but not quit enough. Now i have this chopper lookin thing that a friend built from a Shwinn chopper stingray bike and the rear axle of a trike. It looks like a chopper trike flame decals an all.This thing looks sharp and i want to get the right motor for it. We have lots of flat riding but we also have steep hills. I dont want a noisy geared motor. Want to continue with 48v and must find a better controller. I expect to build a few more this winter. Pictures will be coming when i get stuff back from the welder.

Math error on my part as F=C*9/5+32. -29 is right but it didnt look right. Oh well. Senior moment.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Math error on my part as F=C*9/5+32. -29 is right but it didnt look right. Oh well. Senior moment.
otherDoc
Must be a REAL senior moment! I have no idea what you mean. But i did checkout the Steintrikes. Which is far from what i am building. Suspension is nice but too much weight. Why not just a good saddle? I build on the cheap. Bob

Hey Bebob.
The saddle is good for a regular frame bike or trike but for a recumbent trike a rear suspension is a must or your break your back on bumps. The front suspension is gravy but it sure does feel good. the extra weight is irrelevant since the power easily overcomes it. The Steintrike is really quite easy to pedal on level ground without the motor.
otherDoc

Bebob, I have one those pings split pack 48v20ah and have a 4840 crstallyte controller on a 600w bmc. It been very hard on the battery but it's been fun 37mph is just about right on the street. It seems the 16th cell last pos. cell in line takes the most or all the aburst (?) But this is all that 40amps. fault. and the spring on the throlle is not very strong. So because of that I would get a controller that can be turned down thur a C.A. to 20amps. or so (?) Mine will be turned down to 25amps. when i get it back . I like the fact that the ping can last look at dogmans longavity (?).

Back