• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

48v high current switch

Projectitis

100 mW
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before - I have searched and not come up with anything yet, so feel free to point me at other threads if this is a duplicate.

I want to add a switch between the battery/BMS and the rest of the circuit (e.g. controller, 12v aux system) to kill all power when not in use. I have a 1000W motor and 48v battery, so theoretically around 20A maximum draw, so I'm thinking something that handles 30A at 48V.

Do I need something like a relay, or will a switch rated (for example) 20A at 110V work ok for 30A at ~50V? I'd much rather have a nice, relatively small rocker, than having one of those industrial ON/OFF panel switches too, that you see on table saws and other workshop equipment :)

For example -
will something like this be suitable?
I don't really want something like this!

Any ideas on suitable switches?

Thanks,
Peter

Projectitis said:
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before - I have searched and not come up with anything yet, so feel free to point me at other threads if this is a duplicate.

I want to add a switch between the battery/BMS and the rest of the circuit (e.g. controller, 12v aux system) to kill all power when not in use. I have a 1000W motor and 48v battery, so theoretically around 20A maximum draw, so I'm thinking something that handles 30A at 48V.

Do I need something like a relay, or will a switch rated (for example) 20A at 110V work ok for 30A at ~50V? I'd much rather have a nice, relatively small rocker, than having one of those industrial ON/OFF panel switches too, that you see on table saws and other workshop equipment :)

For example -
will something like this be suitable?
I don't really want something like this!

Any ideas on suitable switches?

Thanks,
Peter

you could use sometihng like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Black-Button-4-Pin-DPST-ON-OFF-Car-Rocker-Switch-AC-250V-15-30A-K201N-/161310834782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item258ee0005e and parallel the contacts should be ok for 20-30A

If you have a BMS, it already can switch off the power, so it doesn't make sense to add another switch. Show us a picture of your BMS and we can probably advise a simple way to add a switch. For that, you can use any switch you want.

Back