• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

5000 mile club

New Member! 8)

- AmpedBikes Hubmotor (9C 9X7, circa October 2008).
- Ping 36V/20AH v1 still works great! Headway 48V/10AH packs added later.

Attachments

• E-Bike@5Kmiles_sm.jpg
    E-Bike@5Kmiles_sm.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 555
Nice! I stopped keeping track at least a year ago, but guesstimate Iv'e got 2000 miles on my newer ping, and about 6000 on the ol V1. And about a thou on miscelaneous other batteries.

:mrgreen: I was trying to find this thread on how I've finally reached this milestone, only to realize that 10,000 mile club was the "real deal". :lol:

Anyways, after racking up 5000 miles on my 30mph Surly Ogre in a year's time in an environment that get's all 4 seasons of the year, I have learned some things, usually from the experiences from other veteran members here.

1. Big Apple Plus are crap in a debris laden urban setting. After a few hundred miles on them, they get small gashes from glass shards and sharp stones. Unless you diligently pick them out on a weekly basis they migrate to the tube. I've since changed to the Marathon Mondial and have been impressed. In general, wide tires 2" or wider is where it's at.
2. Wearing gloves and eyewear is mandatory. Take a nice small crash at 10mph without them and you'll realize how important they are. Now try it at 20+mph and you'll need to ask for a few more days off from work so the scars on your ohso important hand have enough time to heal so you don't look like some kind of leper when dealing with people.
3. It's not the safest habit and I wouldn't recomment it for the safety of those around you, but at over 25+ mph, most in ear headphones are useless. The amount of windnoise & turbulence just drowns out any type of quality sounds. I found the best noise isolation buds for me were the iSport (aka Monster) Immersion line. In the wintertime sub 40F weather, a snowboard helmet with the fluffy earpads are awesome at keeping windnoise at very tolerable levels.
4. Get an extra sidecover (freewheel side). Get an extra throttle. Hell, even an extra charger. Chump change on top of the main battery & motor & controller. Break them (in a perfect world, they shouldn't break for a long time) then replace them without having to wait for the slow boat from china to arrive.
5. Don't be an ebike jerk. Respect the folks on the road. This is a new thing (at least where I live) and we are essentially the embassadors. We have it good here in that respect, and we don't want the eye's of the world on us in a disdainful way otherwise the law will come down on us and our ways. When the road or terrain opens up, let loose and go for it! :twisted:

edit: I still haven't figured out how to post pics from my eDevices. :pancake:

P.S. Anything below 25mph is considered energy conservative. Above that, the power requirements turn up big time. My bike get's 30mph, I think 40mph (with quick acceleration) is the real secret in dealing with automobiles in U.S. cities.

According to my taxes, I passed 5k in 2011 before the 2nd road trip to California on the FWD hardtail, and racked up 5k again as a 2WD in 2012.

For reference...
100 Mile Club
The 101 Club
10,000 Mile Club

Onward - to 25k! KF :twisted:

Just hitting 5000km this year. I think i"ll call it a day. Weather is still pretty warm though. Vertical frametube under the seat is slightly broken, needs fixing.
I did 150km night-race week ago with mamils:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVW5-NF2-Wc&feature=youtu.be

That was great. Oh boy do those guys go fast.
My average was 28,7 km/h.
Guys laughed when i yelled on downhill: "wait! i can do only 50 km/h!"

Back