52v battery charger problem

anoNY42

10 W
I have opened a ticket with the vendor, but while waiting I was hoping to see if anyone wanted to respond with suggestions for me on this.

I have a 52v shark pack and a 52v charger that can charge to 80, 90, or 100%. My battery is currently around 35% full (48.5v), but the charger will not charge the battery, it just acts as if the battery is full, no matter what percentage I try to charge to. The charger was working yesterday, as it has worked fine for 2 months now.

The multimeter shows that the charger is only putting out 45.7 volts, while the battery is at 48.5 volts.

Any thoughts?

THe first thing I would try is to hook up the charger on the pack's charge port, and then run the bike at the same time, even just wheel off ground spinning in the air, and see if the charger starts up.

(some of the chargers I've read of, and one I've got here (satiator), don't output their actual charging voltage until they detect a voltage on their outputs from a connected battery. If yours is like that, and the BMS has shut the charge port off for some reason, the charger can't start because it can't see the battery. )

I have a pack that was sent to me because it kept refusing to charge, though I don't know all the exact details of voltages, etc.

I found that it has a BMS that sometimes locks out the charging port for no consistent reason I can find, (all cells balanced well enough, none at HVC or LVC, etc). Sometimes it locks it out when it's near the HVC but hasn't actually reached it.

To reset it, I can discharge the pack a bit more (or even down till it hits LVC), or I can charge thru the discharge port.

The BMS also has an issue where sometimes (charging thru the charge port) it does not shut off at HVC. So I wouldn't trust it for unattended charging.

Much of the testing I did for it is in this thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81108
though some data is not there; not sure if the posts went missing or if I didn't post/submit them (I was pretty exhausted during that time, more than usual).

(I know that at the least the post(s) from eTrike are missing from that thread, as I quoted from at least one of them in a reply there, but I don't know what other information was lost with the missing post(s) or if any of mine or any other responders are missing from it as well).

amberwolf said:
The first thing I would try is to hook up the charger on the pack's charge port, and then run the bike at the same time, even just wheel off ground spinning in the air, and see if the charger starts up.

Alright, I tried it and still get nothing. Afterwards, the charger still shows 45.7 volts at the connector to the battery.

Thanks for the help, I still have not heard from the company yet (its still early Monday so that is no surprise).

Well, the vendor had me make one more measurement and now we are doing an exchange for a new charger. Still no word on what could be wrong with it, but getting a new one will probably fix the issue!

Back