A123 20AH cells source?

bigmoose said:
piwhy said:
I recently asked OSN Power to get a sample of few A123 20Ah cells, they sell it for 26$ each.

May I ask, was shipping included in that price or extra?

No, this price not include the shipping costs.

Below, the reply I received from OSN Power about the min cell capacity :
" I think the cells we got from the OEM factory is not as good capacity as those from A123 SYSTEMS directly, maybe that’s why we could get them at a lower price.
You can try to buy from A123 directly if you want a better quality. We can’t gurantee 19.6 min.
The 18.5 is what we tested. Yes, the cells are with full tabs. We gurantee that the cells we sell are exactly the same as on the pictures.
The charging current 300A is what the factory told us, we didn’t have such a big charger for testing, so you’d better do the test yourself. "

I uploaded part of that "Dan Rather Reports" TV show's episode "Gas Pains" (aired on 4/19/2011), the section about the a123 lebonia michigan:

[youtube]GMtZlBADPNg[/youtube]

a123 Pron, yummy

-JD

...Below, the reply I received from OSN Power...

I am really tired of that! Why wouldnt OSN reply to my email as well? I even used my office email so that it is not just disregarded becuase the adress ends with ..@gmail.com, but still no reaction whatsoever. Whats wrong with EV-business? I am desperatedly trying to get rid of some 2000$ and it seems to be just impossible to even get an email answered. Can anybody tell me how to get noticed by OSN?

spkpn said:

I am really tired of that! Why wouldnt OSN reply to my email as well? I even used my office email so that it is not just disregarded becuase the adress ends with ..@gmail.com, but still no reaction whatsoever. Whats wrong with EV-business? I am desperatedly trying to get rid of some 2000$ and it seems to be just impossible to even get an email answered. Can anybody tell me how to get noticed by OSN?

I think A123s strategy of clamping down on back-door and b-grade cells is beginning to bite. The company still refuses to sell direct, and only to OEMs. It sucks balls, but they aren't a charity.

It pains me to say it, but you might need to go through Mavizen to get them. However, they don't even answer to emails, so I honestly don't know what you can do... :(

The company still refuses to sell direct, and only to OEMs. It sucks balls, but they aren't a charity.

Well, I am ot talking about a123 but about OSN, and they supposedly want to sell cells (at least their site makes that impression).

but they aren't a charity

as for a123, sure nobody can tell them how to run their business and what to do with their money...oh wait isnt their money also tax money i.e. money from people they refuse to sell their product to? (thanks god it is not my taxes, otherwise that would really piss me off)

Yeah, I was just referring to the inability of these non-A123 companies to supply the insatiable demand for high C-rate, 20 Ah safe chemistry cells, quite possibly because A123 has begun to 'plug the leaks'.

I really do hope some other chemistry / company can do the same, and doesn't mind selling to non OEMs like us :(

spkpn said:

did you try the other source ..
Richard Zhang at Shenzhen VictPower Technology Company http://www.victpower.com/

So far after reading this long thread, It looks like there is no clear legit source for these cells? I read that some are getting the rated capacity but some are getting it used. I think I will hold off on buying any more battery until they clear up legit sources for A123 batteries or some clear source for EIG batteries.

mvly said:
So far after reading this long thread, It looks like there is no clear legit source for these cells? I read that some are getting the rated capacity but some are getting it used. I think I will hold off on buying any more battery until they clear up legit sources for A123 batteries or some clear source for EIG batteries.

Mavizen in the UK will sell you 100% legit A123 cells, but they are stupidly expensive (like $90 per cell for most people here). I'm told there might be a discount if you are using it for racing in the TTXGP (still holding my breath on this one) or are a university / educational institution.

I don't know about EIG, but I imagine it's a similar story. Unless you are an OEM, you're SOL.

Harold in CR said:
I just stumbled across this, late yesterday. Can't read where supposedly made.

Looking closely at one of the photos in that eBay add said "made in USA" on the cell.

bigmoose said:
Harold in CR said:
I just stumbled across this, late yesterday. Can't read where supposedly made.

Looking closely at one of the photos in that eBay add said "made in USA" on the cell.

So does this mean they are fakes?

Maybe they are rejects as oppose to fakes.

mvly said:
bigmoose said:
So does this mean they are fakes?Maybe they are rejects as oppose to fakes.

I think the bad cells reported earlier said "Made in USA," but this video shows 20ah prisimatics being manufactured in livonia michigan, so I think there are some genuine ones:

(from "Dan Rather Reports" TV show's episode "Gas Pains" (aired on 4/19/2011))

oatnet said:
mvly said:
bigmoose said:
So does this mean they are fakes?Maybe they are rejects as oppose to fakes.

I think the bad cells reported earlier said "Made in USA," but this video shows 20ah prisimatics being manufactured in livonia michigan, so I think there are some genuine ones:

(from "Dan Rather Reports" TV show's episode "Gas Pains" (aired on 4/19/2011))

Could these be legit cells since fisker ordered much less cells than anticipated? Maybe these are extra that a123 are trying unload.

Dear all,

after all osnpower contacted me. They are very friendly and seem to be interested in making business with us diyers. Since I have already ordered cells from a123rc, I will consider osn as my battery supplier for my next project. If you are intersested in th outcome of my a123rc deal, please check http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/a123rc-test-66700.html

best,
spkpn

Hey all !

I contacted A123:
"Dear Sir, Madam, For a hobby project I'm very interested in your cells. I know A123 systems does not sell their products to hobbyists. So I went looking for some retailers of your products. I came up with following 2 companies: http://www.a123rc.com/ & http://www.osnpower.com/ Are they legitimate partners of you ? Do they sell your original product ? Thanks in advance, Yours sincerely, Cédric"

They responded:
"Hello Cédric, My name is Ryan and I am the channel sales manager for A123 Systems.
Most of what you see on websites is unfortunately not legitimate A123 product.
Thanks for the inquiry
Ryan"

Now we are sure they aren't the real deal (QC passed)...

Hope it helped a bit !

humm... I really hate it when companies like this do not give us a straight answer. Obviously there is something to hide.

ce555 said:

First they did not answer your question. Second, they should've given use links to legit dealers or some way to find out which is legit.

My guess:
1) They do manufacture them in the US.
2) They do sell to some dealers here and abroad.
3) Probably some of the legit cells are probably illegally obtained (probably from inside person).
4) And now they are trying to plug the leak trying to deny all sources as legit, but leaving a room for possible legit cells because they know they have a leak.

But then again that's my guess. Anything is possible. : )

I decided to not fuss with trying to get these unobtanium and move to something I know is legit, "hobbyking nanotech" or Allcell. A123 made it clear they do not want our business. So I will not pressure them into doing something they do not want.

Yes. Allcell batteries are not cheap, but at least they are legit and in the USA and they are willing to sell to us. I bought 3 lithium batteries from china and all are showing dead or weak cells. Even the Hobbyking nanotech show 1 weak cell out of the 20 10s nanotech batteries I bought. The only reason I recommend nanotech from HK is that you can just throw away that bad cell and buy another. Your whole pack is not deal or difficult to replace.

how dense, there is nothing phony or a conspiracy involved here in the liquidation of these A123 cells from their previous production pilot project for GM.

of course they are not the products that A123 sells through there normal sales channels now. these were produced for GM and then liquidated when GM decided not to go with A123.

what is so hard to understand about that?

JD even found a video for you and it still doesn't get through.

mvly said:
humm... I really hate it when companies like this do not give us a straight answer. Obviously there is something to hide.
ce555 said:
First they did not answer your question. Second, they should've given use links to legit dealers or some way to find out which is legit.

Oy. :roll:

ALL websites besides Mavizen's are illegitimate products. As discussed repeatedly in this thread, Mavizen is the ONLY legitimate a123 dealer. If you can afford $90/cell from Mavizen, that is the ONLY place you can buy legitimate cells. Count yourself lucky that they exist, because before that there was NO legitimate dealer for a123 products - a123 doesn't want to sell to end users who will gomer up cells, blame it on the company, and generate bad press.

Therefor, all of the a123 cells used on this forum prior to that, from M1 to the prisimatics, came from ILLEGITIMATE sources: extras from a legitimate OEM project, cells ripped from dewalts, or B grade stock that a123 has paid to have destroyed. So lets get over the whole legitimate/illegitimate discussion, it has no relevance or basis in reality.

The relevant question is: are the B-Grade cells that are available from (insert company here) viable? Do they hold 19-20ah? What is their IR? The answer is simple: Buy a sample. If you like it and buy more, hope they are as good as the sample. This hobby is a crapshoot, there are no guarantees or warrantees that are worth their weight in bat guano.

-JD

oatnet said:
mvly said:
ce555 said:

Oy. :roll:

ALL websites besides Mavizen's are illegitimate products. As discussed repeatedly in this thread, Mavizen is the ONLY legitimate a123 dealer. If you can afford $90/cell from Mavizen, that is the ONLY place you can buy legitimate cells. Count yourself lucky that they exist, because before that there was NO legitimate dealer for a123 products - a123 doesn't want to sell to end users who will gomer up cells, blame it on the company, and generate bad press.

Therefor, all of the a123 cells used on this forum prior to that, from M1 to the prisimatics, came from ILLEGITIMATE sources: extras from a legitimate OEM project, cells ripped from dewalts, or B grade stock that a123 has paid to have destroyed. So lets get over the whole legitimate/illegitimate discussion, it has no relevance or basis in reality.

The relevant question is: are the B-Grade cells that are available from (insert company here) viable? Do they hold 19-20ah? What is their IR? The answer is simple: Buy a sample. If you like it and buy more, hope they are as good as the sample. This hobby is a crapshoot, there are no guarantees or warrantees that are worth their weight in bat guano.

-JD

-nicely put.

we did this, and got $5k of perfect 19.6ah below 1,2mohlm cells.
some say usa some korea, 6 different batches, some in use for 2 years and 100% happy with them all.

and im glad that you posted up the video oatnet, heaps of my cells say usa and i get told by all that they are fake, knowing they are not. -or is the vid part of this massive hoax to short change me. :wink:

toolman2,
"we did this"..what do you mean?
where did you get your A123 20Ah cells from?
You say you are happy with them?
How many of them check 19.6Ah at even 1C? NONE?

there is no way in hell that A123 will allow anyone to stamped their A123 logo on some pouch cells. even in china they would have already seized the entire stocks of such mislabeled cells because they can use trademark violations against any agent who sells them.

but of course there are some experts here who know they are fake, and even better experts who cannot even charge them up.

Back