Adaptor for rear rack

potatorage

100 W
I discovered that my bicycle didn't have mounting holes for a rear rack after I purchased a rack. Would it be safe to create adaptors to mount to the rear axle of the hub motor and carry a load of 25-30 lbs? Or would it be better to drill holes into the rear swing arm?

Just remember that unless you're riding perfectly smooth roads with no bumps, dips, potholes, etc., it's not just a load of 25-30lbs. Whenever you hit a bump or a hole, that's going to be multiplied by some (usually large) factor, depending on your speed, the depth of the hole/bump, impact angle, tire inflation, etc.

You need a "Rack Mount Seat Post Clamp"

Google that and you'll find lots of styles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 725
Racks used to be mounted directly to the rear axle and seatpost. We used to sit and ride double on them when we were kids. Being made of steel, they seemed much stronger than today's rickety ones.

If there is lots of meat there in the dropout area, just drill holes. If not, get some clamps to attach the rack to the stays.

To carry a really big weight, like sla's, best to modify the rack, and be able to bolt right onto the axle.

If the bike is steel, then drilling holes is fine, even for big weight.

I'd also look into adding even more support anyway, perhaps by adding some more supports made from electric conduit. From the rack to the other end of the stays perhaps.

Easy solution:

Mount the rack to the bolt on the torque arms on the rear (axle mounting). That is what I did ($5 solution).
Up top, I used some P clamps (with the rubber insert) from Home Depot to mount just below the seat ($2 solution).
There are seat post clamps designed to mount a rack to also.

P-clips, available in steel, stainless steel are good for this. Got some for a brace on my rack.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p+clip&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=DFgyUs-wDcjLtQaQ2YCQCw&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=600&dpr=1

Back