Advice needed to motorize Schwinn Spoiler

spoilme

1 mW
Hello folks! New user of this forum here - I have come across it and read many posts on here before, but just didn't register til I got my new bike - the Schwinn Spoiler!

Here's the story so far: About 2 years ago I purchased my first electric bike, the Schwinn Stingray electric. After working out some problems with the batteries I realized, holy shit!, this thing can get me to work and back for 10 cents or so. That started my path down my new hobby, electric biking. I'm more into it for saving as much as possible for inter-city transportation and I'm shocked I don't see more people on the road out here in Albuquerque, NM with electric bikes. This is about the perfect environment for them, and we have a lot of flat land out here.

Anyway - so I made the mistake of driving my electric Stingray to ghetto Walmart one day. I locked it up, but I guess the lock wasn't thick enough! I went in to get a haircut, came out, and the bike was gone. Worst part is when the police showed up so I could file a report, absolutely no one wanted to help me with viewing the security cams, even tho this particular Walmart has a sea of security cams all around the outside perimeter. Oh, well. I looked at it as my first foray into electric biking, being able to save a lot of gas during the times I used it to go to work, etc. In total, I had it for about a year.

I was really bummed, because I really enjoyed this bike. These things are hard to find! Not to worry - as chance would have it, a little bit after the first one got stolen, about a year ago now, I happened to come across another electric Stingray in a different town. I was amazed and immediately bought it, for even less than the first one too. Now I'm using it as my primary electric vehicle, and have driven it to work a few times. It's great but it's just a little too small and not too much power. I did upgrade the 24V to 36V and I get about 20mph average, which means it only takes about 5 more minutes to get to work than driving.

I figured I would upgrade the motor on this guy eventually, give it a little more kick and maybe up my average speed to 25mph, but I just found the crown jewel on craigslist recently - a Schwinn Spoiler. It's got almost everything I was going to upgrade the stingray with standard, like front suspension, disc brakes, perfectly sized frame. In short, it's exactly what I want when I think of my ideal electric bike setup. I'll use it mostly for in-town transportation, so top speed is not a huge factor - as I've mentioned, I could probably live with and enjoy 25mph just fine.

I've read some of the other posts on here of the few folks that also have a Schwinn Spoiler, and others on the Stingray version, and I've seen how they converted theirs to electric. I'm pretty sure I didn't find any info about mid-driving these bikes, so that would be my first question. Based on what I know about mid-drives so far, almost all are designed for 68mm bottom bracket. The spoiler has a 73mm bottom bracket, which I've also learned can fit a mid-drive with a little bit of adaptation. My next question - should I go with mid-drive or should I mount a motor in the rear wheel area (there is enough space between the frame and the wheel to mount a motor)? I was wondering if I mounted a motor (not mid-drive), does there exist such a thing as an integrated jackshaft, where the chain can connect to the motor shaft, and a separate chain runs from the motor to the rear hub?

I'm upgrading the Spoiler in stages - my very first step would be to get a Sturmey Archer 170mm 3-speed hub for the wide rear tire and to have a better range of gearing than single speed for when I eventually install the electric motor. It seems like no one carries these specific hubs anywhere! I've contacted a few places and they are all out of inventory. One place said to try again in 2-4 weeks! Does anyone know what the deal is, and why these specific hubs are so hard to find?

Thanks, and looking forward to this project. Should be a fun one!

spoilme said:
I've read some of the other posts on here of the few folks that also have a Schwinn Spoiler, and others on the Stingray version, and I've seen how they converted theirs to electric. I'm pretty sure I didn't find any info about mid-driving these bikes, so that would be my first question. Based on what I know about mid-drives so far, almost all are designed for 68mm bottom bracket. The spoiler has a 73mm bottom bracket, which I've also learned can fit a mid-drive with a little bit of adaptation. My next question - should I go with mid-drive or should I mount a motor in the rear wheel area (there is enough space between the frame and the wheel to mount a motor)? I was wondering if I mounted a motor (not mid-drive), does there exist such a thing as an integrated jackshaft, where the chain can connect to the motor shaft, and a separate chain runs from the motor to the rear hub?!
Does it look something like this?

If not, post some pictures or provide links to the bike & its specs. If so, that bike is begging for a rear hub motor. Often for a non-standard wheel axle, a rider will make or have made a special axle that fits both the motor and the dropouts for the bike. I'd leave the entire existing drive-train alone excepting perhaps a new chain sprocket to gear it for higher speeds with motor.

I'd go for it and keep in touch here on the ES forum on your progress. To get you started, you may want review my Top 10 eBike Conversion Kits & Where to Buy list.

With a motor in hand, giving you the power you want, remove the axle. There are people on the forum who can mod that for you. Or you could take it to a local welder (aka, metal worker) and have them mod it for you. Put the axle back into the motor and you're then good for a mount. Mount it into the existing wheel with a set of custom spokes.

There are other ES members who have undertaken what you want to do
Sometimes when taking a first foray at something like this, its a matter of searching those prior threads to find the ES member whose build it was, then contact them via PM to ask for help. Someone who has already succeeded with the build you want is in the best position to provide sage advise.

Hello, thanks for the reply! Yes, that is exactly the bike I have now.

My electric Stingray has a hub motor, so I am familiar with that option and it's great for what it does. It's gotten me around good, doing very well on the flats and was struggling a little bit climbing hills with the factory 24V. When I upgraded to 36V, I couldn't pedal fast enough, even on the hills to keep up with the motor, so that was a great upgrade. Just curious why you jumped right to recommending a hub motor, tho?

For the Spoiler, I was kind of thinking of a mid-drive or separate motor mount because then I could put an IGH (Sturmey Archer or equivalent) in the rear, giving me more power up hills (rare, but still a few to climb out here), and then more speed on the top end. Do I have that right?

Thanks for the links! Seen a few of them already, but also see a few I've not yet read.

No point getting a Sturmey-Archer SX-RK3 IGH if you are going to put a rear hub motor in as it will have to go when you fit the hub motor. You could get the BB width reduced from 73mm and use an American to BSA BB adapter and just fit a Bafang BBS02 750W motor.

I have used this adapter on a 68mm wide BMX BB with a BBS01/02.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-to-euro-BSA-aluminum-alloy-CNC-Bicycle-Bottom-Bracket-Adapter-/251742428628?pt=US_Bottom_Brackets&hash=item3a9d049dd4

If you use the adapter on a 68mm wide BB, it will have a total width of around 73mm and the BBS02 can work with this but if you intend to stay with this motor permanently I would cut the BB down to 63mm and use the adapter as you can then still use the second locking ring on the motor. If you are a bit worried about the BB face not being square after cutting it, your local bike shop will probably have a BB facing tool to tidy it up with.

cjh said:
If you use the adapter on a 68mm wide BB, it will have a total width of around 73mm and the BBS02 can work with this but if you intend to stay with this motor permanently I would cut the BB down to 63mm and use the adapter as you can then still use the second locking ring on the motor. If you are a bit worried about the BB face not being square after cutting it, your local bike shop will probably have a BB facing tool to tidy it up with.

Hello there - thanks for the input! I've taken a look at the BB, and I'm not sure if there is enough room to cut it out. The weld residue almost reaches to the end of the BB, so if I were to grind it down, looks like some of the weld residue would come off also. Is that ok?

cjh said:
Can you post close up pics of the BB?

Ask and ye shall receive :D

5GR636C.jpg

Another possibility could be to machine an insert for your BB that is the same 73mm width as the BB, with an O.D. the same as your BB I.D. and bored with a hole the same as a BSA BB I.D. so it could accept a BBS02. It could then be reverted back to standard at any time in the future.

What a bummer to lose your beloved bike.

I hate to be rude about it, especially to a fellow New Mexican. But you need two ebikes.

Build your spoiler for sure. I'm assuming it's secure parked at work. But to park at walmart, you need an ugly piece of shit nobody would want.

dogman dan said:

I hate to be rude about it, especially to a fellow New Mexican. But you need two ebikes.

Build your spoiler for sure. I'm assuming it's secure parked at work. But to park at walmart, you need an ugly piece of shit nobody would want.
They remarkably let me park my eyesore just inside the front door where the Amigo scooters and lot mules are charging. That way I can plug it in to the 110 outlets there and the door greeters keep an eye on it for me. The management foolishly put the outdoor bike rack far away in an exposed location with poor lighting. Even though there are cameras overlooking it I doubt if they are focused on that dark area. No way I would leave any bike there. I wish the rack was on the closer side where there are lights, an outdoor outlet, and a covered section providing some shelter from the elements. All they care about is profits, which aparantly does not include crime in the parking lot. :evil:

dogman dan said:

Thank you and def will not be riding any ebike to any questionable places in the future. I have 3 bikes at the moment - Schwinn Stingray electric, Schwinn Spoiler, and a Trek mountain bike. If I were to bike to ghetto walmart again, it'd be with the Trek mountain bike (really old, cheapest one in the store... but I love it, does a great job on the trail).

Guess I'm still getting used to the big city - I'm not a native, moved here from another state. Oh well, lesson learned the hard way (tho I should have known better). At least it was a great learning experience for the next phase of my ebiking hobby!

Cheers!

The fingers said:
They remarkably let me park my eyesore just inside the front door where the Amigo scooters and lot mules are charging. That way I can plug it in to the 110 outlets there and the door greeters keep an eye on it for me. The management foolishly put the outdoor bike rack far away in an exposed location with poor lighting. Even though there are cameras overlooking it I doubt if they are focused on that dark area. No way I would leave any bike there. I wish the rack was on the closer side where there are lights, an outdoor outlet, and a covered section providing some shelter from the elements. All they care about is profits, which aparantly does not include crime in the parking lot. :evil:

I've been wondering how receptive places are about letting you plug in an ebike - guess you've had some good experiences in that regard. Great idea, thanks!

Yeah, scummy walmart. I absolutely hate going there. Once in a blue moon I'll go there but I try to avoid it for the most part.

Hey, at least they didn't see the shooting at the walmart. Albuquerque is just way too full of breaking bad characters for sure. I dread Las Cruces getting more and more similar. It REALLY SUCKS that walmart in burque doesn't care if crime happens on their property, that they have film of.

I go to walmart all the time, but I do two key things. Never after noon, if I can help it. Tweakers sleep in. I don't park at any bike rack, I park at the bench where the employees take their smoke break. Right by the busy door to the grocery side. None of this would work at the store on Central.

And if they want to try to ride off without power on this, go for it.View attachment 1

I recently built this, for trips that are only for eggs and bread, just a couple items. I'll be in the store less time on such a trip of course.Trashrunner on the cars bike rack..jpg

Yes I have a bike rack, mostly because the really good rides are about 100 miles away. I've ridden there on an e bike, but carrying the camping gear 200 miles is not as fun as I thought it might be. So a few times a year, I carry a bike to a fun place to ride.

Or, if your work is 30 miles away, wouldn't driving the ebike to a halfway point beat driving the entire way?

That car does stay parked as much as possible of course. But many days I'm far to sick to even ride to the store 5 miles away. So a car is a must for me. It is what it is, you'd love it too, if you were 56 and felt 80. West nile virus ruined my life permanently.

Re the environment, I spend every day trying to sell people an ebike kit. Every day, my goal is one less car driving to work and back. My house is solar heated. So don't tell me I'm f--king the environment.

Not that I didn't used to :roll: We all did in the 60's- 90's

Back