All should change to faster speed for saftey - way above 20

TD,

That may be true, but they'll be killing fewer people than they do while texting and driving their scuds. That's what must be pointed out when the "Killer Ebikes" story is sensationalized by the media.

Children fly down hills all the time on BMX's with shoddy brakes and no helmets.

They barely draw the attention of law enforcement and are often hurt.

Now all of sudden somebody cruising at 40 or even just 30 on an ebike with a helmet, good brakes and the rest is a menace. :? :?: :?:

I don't disagree with DrunkSkunk, I think we need to take precautions. That said I agree with the original premise of the post....speed itself is not an issue and can on occasion help avoid accidents.

Furthermore, there is a matter of practicality- so much of the know-how of Ebikes is dedicated to speed and power. It would be hard to reverse that trend. Constantly, from both within and without, the catchphrases resonate: "C Rate", "A123", "36 Fet", "High Speed"....etc.

Agreed, WE need to take precautions. The government doing so on our behalf is both ineffective and typically misguided. If they want to save lives on the roadways, mandate that cellphone manufacturers must make them inoperable while in motion.

Agreed, WE need to take precautions. The government doing so on our behalf is both ineffective and typically misguided.

Yes. That's why in NM we need to define what an ebike is or isn't so and if it is the registration for a faster one should be easy to get. The only time I personally would see at as a problem would be when someone on an ebike blows through pedestrian walkways at say 40mph and totally disregards all traffic laws. I still consider my slow electric bicycle and ride it as a bicycle not a motorcycle i.e. I use the shoulder of the road and take routes that don't require a higher speed limit. It's all fun and games until somebody else get's hurt, but most people probably don't care if a juiced up ebiker kills or hurt himself, but drive that sucker through a bunch of kids and look out for another law! :| :| :| :wink:

If you dig in the NM motor vehicle statutes you will see that indeed, there is no mention of an electric bicycle whatsoever only electric mopeds. So sell all of em you want under the fed law, but riding it is under NM law. NM law states that any motor on any bicycle is a moped. I'll go hunt for the exact statute now.

TylerDurden said:
@Ron:
"Technically you're breaking the Federal law each time you hit the road because of the power of your e-bike, ..."
Not really. Fed Regs are CSPC regarding mfr/sales/marketing. Local and state control all traffic.
Tyler,

Thanks for correcting my misconception. AIMI (and I mean it. (g)) Modern life is quite complex, is it not?

Hmm, having trouble finding the codes on any official state site. The link seems to take you to the state constitution nowdays... :roll:

Not found it on unofficial sites in its entirety yet. Here is a link to one of em. http://www.ehow.com/list_6688766_new-mexico-motorized-bicycle-regulations.html

They claim that a pedelec and 20 mph makes you an ebike. I never read that. I only remember words to the effect of any gas or electric motor on a bicycle is a moped. In the definitions section, bicycle is clearly defined as a human powered device with two wheels.

Both unofficial sites I just looked at say 30 mph. That is what it used to be, but I saw on the states official website where it said 25 mph now. It also stated that it was a motor vehicle, and you needed any kind of drivers licence.

Sheesh, no wonder the cops have no clue either. I continue to claim that my commuter bike, which is about 1000 watts but only goes 20 mph is an ebike and belongs on the bike trails. So far people buy it. :mrgreen:

The US Senate has passed SR 1156, clearing the way for a legal definition of an electric bicycle in the USA. President Bush has signed this law.
The law will assign the governance of electric bicycles to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and will define a bicycle that has pedals, (and is capable of being propelled by those pedals) an electric motor of no more than 750 watts, and a top speed (on motor only) of 20 mph as a "bicycle."

So as long as my motorized bicycle doesn't exceed this definition Dogman than my electric bicycle is a bicycle. My 9c DD at 36v is pretty close. My currie bike at 24 volts is spot on! So at least we agree on this right?
And then go to wikipedia and look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

Again New Mexico...nothing! That's what we pay those boogers for! Anyhow if I had a lobbyist I'd....... :?: :wink:

Muttley.JPG

plus my best Muttley snicker.

My bike has a max speed of 60mph and I'm running about 6kw right now. My ebike is legally a bicycle, period. I ride right by cops all the time at car speeds without issue. They don't even pull me over at the random stops for cars, despite having no plates and often with a baseball cap as my legally mandated helmet. It's nice that even the traffic police believe they have better things to do than hassle ebikers. 8)

John

Food for thought! If an electric bicycle that didn't meet the federal definition would be illegal to sell without a title etc.etc. That's why we have the federal definition! Anyways as a constitutionalist libertarian I hate almost all of them! :cry: :evil: :twisted:

wineboyrider said:
Food for thought! If an electric bicycle that didn't meet the federal definition would be illegal to sell without a title etc.etc.
Not necessarily... Go-peds, gocarts, minibikes, pockets and scoots etc are sold regularly, with the proviso "for off-road use only". If an ebike fails to meet Fed regs at point-of-sale AND is promoted as a e-bike for road use, that would be illegal.

States and localities may or may not use the "consumer-protection e-bike definition", when considering traffic regs. They can define them any way they want, where operation & traffic is concerned.

True. A lot of those things you just mentioned are regulated on the streets, but most people by a bicycle with the intent of driving to from somewhere and Wal-mart doesn't sell mopeds or cars or motorcycles or anything that would require a license or registration to get out of there.? :|

My vote: Faster speeds. Eliminate moped class(takes away confusion). No license-insurance-registration period.

Isn't that pretty much what AZ, or at least some counties did? I'm not too current, but I thought I heard talk to that effect at the death race last spring, that Spooky tooth had helped get a more lax law passed for motorized bicycles. Mabye just in Bisbee? I'm not sure.

Wineboy, I wouldn't sweat the exact law if I was you. If the Tulie cops aren't stopping you, they must think you are legal. Sweet! I just lowered my speed to the fed limit because I want to lay low and not get motorized bikes kicked off the bike trail I depend on to get to work. So I lay on the spiel about the fed law to all who are interested. This also applies to the BLM mountain bike trails. So far 20 mph and the fed law is getting me the OK from the other riders on the trail to bring a motor. The signs say NO MOTOR VEHICLES, so I claim to still be a bicycle. But the state of NM still hasn't defined an ebike as a bicycle. It has defined a 2 wheel device with a low power motor as a moped though. Only a judge could really say for sure though. I'm pretty dang sure the way the statute is written, you put a motor on it, and you are some kind of motor vehicle, in this case a moped. But if they use horsepower at 50 cc levels as a measure of the size electric motor you could put on, that's at least 3000 watts or more. :twisted: 8) Soooo, depending on how you read it, limit speed to 30 mh and you can run 100v. :D

One thing I learned though, if there is no law saying you can't, you can. :mrgreen:

But laws can make a mess of it, when they disagree. Untill recently, you could sell an ebike in New York, and there was several shops in NY doing it. But they were totally illegal on the road. The fed law let em sell em, but NY law prohibited riding them except on private property.

One thing I learned though, if there is no law saying you can't, you can.
My feelings exactly! But, all I am saying is the federal law defines that an electric bicycle meeting that definition is to be treated as a bicycle. Unless a state has a more stricter law that'swhat it is a bicycle. I ran my cylcone setup (not stealthy by any means) and my currie ezip overvolted (25mph) by the cops all the time and all the other police (state, dot,Alamo DPS, sheriffs, etc etc) and they don't even look at you! :wink:

wineboyrider said:
...all I am saying is the federal law defines that an electric bicycle meeting that definition is to be treated as a bicycle. ...
Only for mfr/sales/marketing; all bets are off regarding traffic regs.

Unfortunately we have a stricter law. The NM vehicle code clearly states that only human powered is a bicycle. So once you put a motor on it, you are a moped. My only fear is some dumbshit will go to Santa Fe and lobby for an ebike law. And then the next thing you know we are at 250 watts, have to have pedelec etc etc, Awwww shit.

But that doesn't mean you can't quote the fed definition all day and get people to buy your story. :mrgreen: I do every time I take a motor to the BLM trails. 8) So far it's working.

dogman said:
But that doesn't mean you can't quote the fed definition all day and get people to buy your story. :mrgreen: I do every time I take a motor to the BLM trails. 8) So far it's working.

The BLM is, unless I'm mistaken, a Federal agency. If so, then maybe the Fed definition would apply?

Exactly. Or it could go the other way, with some nazi state chota telling you his interperetation of the moped law in NM.

FWIW. link to the bicycle definition, still not on the official state website though http://law.justia.com/newmexico/codes/2006/nmrc/jd_66-1-42-17d95.html.

And the moped section. http://law.justia.com/newmexico/codes/2006/nmrc/jd_66-3-1101-18031.html

But I still think I was seeing a different speed limit, 25mph, and a mention of electric motors on mopeds on the official state list of the codes. This was last updated in 2006, so it could have been changed.

Dogman the laws here are so confusing and it goes city by city. The police here just don't like bikes because they may impede traffic. Sidewalk laws change city by city also. And yes, we have moped class. Thats how the cops get us. If you go 1 mph over 20, They then claim you are a moped and need license, insurance, registration and plates, turn signals etc... And impound it for 30 days claiming you don't have proper legal papers to establish ownership. You must make a claim for it and it takes 30 days to process. Whole process costs you thousands of dollars. They make money, you lose. Insurance company won't insure because of no VIN number= no plate or registration. Yes, the Spooky Tooth gassers helped us (possibly) win some rights to be on the road(if.. the judge in my city agrees) but the cops are butt hurt and look for the technicalities and revenue. There is a whole thread about this poster's topic from a few months ago. Can someone find it and link it? FMB42 the federal land/regulated is the exact angle I have planned on using if necessary when riding along the canal trails here as well as the american with disabilities act.

I took my 50cc Elite scooter down to the DMV about 3 years ago to register it . It had a top speed of 37-40mph and the lady told me if it's 50cc and under I don't need to register or insure it. The only thing that sucks is if you lose your license and you want to ebike your sol in NM.

I did some digging in the local online law web site and looks like Wa state defines an electic assist bicycle as less than 1k watts, less than 20mph unassisted, no assistance for when riding more than 20 mph, and working pedals.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.04.169

It also say's that liscense/ insurance is not required for electric assist bicycles (under exceptions) http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16.010

While it seems like they are trying to define an e-bike, 20mph is pretty low considering they are also setting a 1kw limit on the assistance. To me it seems like someone didn't do their math homework.

I also could not find much about what happens if you exceed those limits, Presumably there is a fine but it doesn't seeem clear.

Back