• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

An electric quadracycle

DeathBlade

100 W
I got this idea to make a four wheel ATV- eske ebike like Seaways centaur prototype but with the ability to be pedaled probably with a 5 speed setup using four hub motors( maybe 408's ?) on 20 or 24 inch wheels. It would be great I think, but the huge problem is transfering the rear wheels I have a idea using shaft and chain setup,using a 5 speed cassette and single speed crank. The cassette would be mounted on a shaft set in two pillow block bearings along the axis of the rear supsention pivot, on the ends of this shaft would be two 20T sprockets turning two 22T sprockets the the hubs for some extra gearing(its a ATV bike it needs torque!) But it to has a problem. For it to work it would require flipping over the right rear hub so the sprocket thread are pointing inside and then running the hub in reverse, is that possible? I thing my paint diagrams explain it better. So any thoughts?

Edit: I made a order to TNC for a 36v YK42 and a thumb throttle on saturday and I got it today and I got a foot throttle, I called them up and they said opps, "If you buy another thumb throttle we'll put a return lable in the box and you can ship the foot throttle back to up and we will refund your money when we get it" This pisses me off! :evil: what should I do?

equad1.gif

equad2.gif

The issue with threads on the left is that the power transferred through that sprocket is in the direction to unscrew. I did it with a left drive drive for a 500W motor and just applied epoxy to the threads when I screwed the freewheel adapter onto the hub. It's never come loose, and doubt it will. Epoxy on nice clean threads makes for a pretty good bond.

John

Isn't a motorised 4 wheel "bike" non streel legal in most of the US? gotta be a two or three wheel, or you're a car durn it.

Nice drawing, do you think spatulas will work for pedals? :lol: The advantage of two wheels in the back is that it is much easier to transfer power through a solid axle (like a go-cart). I would run a motor through the gears to shift for speed or hill-climbing. Get a used trike off craigslist ($120) and hack the front up for 4 wheels. Get rid of that hub, and get a cheap ebay scooter motor, or there is an etek for sale by dirtdad. Looks like a fun project, even though it has four wheels, some here might find it interesting.

Sux about that throttle, jump through the hoops, at least they are working with you.

dogman said:
Isn't a motorised 4 wheel "bike" non streel legal in most of the US? gotta be a two or three wheel, or you're a car durn it.

Wasn't thinking about it being street legal but just a offroad unit like a poorman segway centaur, a electric ATV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l486tKKIifY

Back