test run with the wheel off the ground
    hop on
    start riding very gently,
    so far so good, 1/2 way around the yard
    apply some more throttle
    gently
    **CRUNCH** bzzzzzz

I didn't even make a full lap

Just say "NO!" to planets. No motor needs them. If you can't do real gearing external to the motor, then why add unreliability internally to the motor? Planets are bad, external gearing is good.

oh well.. it was worth a shot. it failed. no big deal. It was a fun exercise pulling it all down, and putting it all back together. The bike is now sold. I am soon to be riding a factory Bafang Max 350W, 27.5" plus bike once I sort out forks and brakes.

One day I will finish the nano-lebowski too.. I need a cash injection to get it done.

Andy

izeman said:
my mac mid drive runs fine with 2.5kW for more than 1000mi/1500km now with first set of gears.
only "issue" i have is straight gears and their whining sound.

Congrats! Planets still suck as you just pointed out and they are never needed if external gearing is done correctly. If the motor is a hub and has planets, then why didn't they just wind it for a lower KV in the first place so that it didn't need planets at all? Planets are a cheat and the only thing they are good for is adding more points of failure, friction and noise to the motor. I know people swear by their cyclone motors and other motors that use planets. They have planets and all I can say is what's the point? Just design the motor correctly to begin with!

Anyway, getting off my "anti-planets" rant in EV motors soap box.

cheers!

ElectricGod said:
Congrats! Planets still suck as you just pointed out and they are never needed if external gearing is done correctly. If the motor is a hub and has planets, then why didn't they just wind it for a lower KV in the first place so that it didn't need planets at all? Planets are a cheat and the only thing they are good for is adding more points of failure, friction and noise to the motor. I know people swear by their cyclone motors and other motors that use planets. They have planets and all I can say is what's the point? Just design the motor correctly to begin with!

Anyway, getting off my "anti-planets" rant in EV motors soap box.

cheers!

Max torque depends on the size of the stator iron, the amount of room for stator wiring and the magnets. Changing the windings will not change max torque. When iron and magnets are determined, only way to more torque is gearing...

Back