Another full suspension build

https://www.stevessmallenginesaloon.com/

Found that guy looking for adapters to fill 1lb Propane from 20lb. He shows how to do it in a video, worked great. I bought 2 of the adapters on Amazon yesterday for like $9.

Super awesome tool to have.

... You can make a Gig business out of anything. If you want to actually make money at it, it becomes a 16hr a day job. If you think you can sit around making enough to feed your family by being smart or clever alone - guess again ... unless you want to be shady.

Successful bootstrapping is a LOT HARDER than just doing a 9-5

-methods

Here we go, finally

Starting.png

WICKED SLOW!

Its now doing about 50MB...

LimitingFactor.png

So again, timing is security
Note that no matter HOW fast some external drive is, it is limited by the speed of your hard drive. I probably have a 5400 or 7200 hybrid in there. Theoretical is - say - 100 to 120MB (Byte not bit, dont mix them up)

I am now seeing 75MB Transfer speed
This is what you will start seeing as the processors queue-up...

Now seeing 80MB

100MB.png

Now you can do some math

320GB == 320,000MB
320,000MB / 70MB = ~4600 seconds = ~80 min

Time remaining now rendering as 50min

... Different blocks of files transfer at different speeds*
Bigger is usually faster, but only up to a limit. You can block your data for sweet spots in your hardware.

... Took a Parallel Processing class at Stanford once. Got to use both of their Super Computers. This was back before anyone knew about coin mining. Folks were mining then. ... folks were most certainly mining and I was most certainly given coin.

I did not keep it
Was not my coin

-methods

. . .
Guy will talk to you while he is doing a job.
Learned some of the most valuable things standing behind an older guy handing him tools and smelling the funk of his buttcrack wafting up.

Its the way

... its private

But these days...
Everybody is eating at the same trough.

... Somebody peed in the trough
Lotta people getting sick

Not Covid
... Nah...

Viral Thinking

* I do not own TV
* I do not watch any media (Like Netflix) until it is >5 years old
* I do not read news papers
* I do not watch "News"
* I do not read "News"
* I do not "chat" with folks about their perceptions of current events

. . .
Grand Experiment -
Both mine and yours (theirs)

-methods

day.png

See?
Anything to do with fishing takes a lot longer. Fishing is a sport of patience, as is hunting.

... "More than a day" is your current estimate. Ask me again and I will tell you something longer. :wink:

-methods

100x100
That implies that it is an "Icon"

A lot o what my hard drive is full of is WordPress installs. In WP they break up each picture into 4 pictures... each a different size for a different platform

* Original
* Large
* Tablet
* Phone
* Super Small

... So as you can see, the averaging algorithms used my Microsoft basically assume that whatever it is doing RIGHT NOW is what it will be doing for the rest of the job. This is why estimates are wildly inaccurate.

The code already indexed all that it is going to do
Something like 400,000 people work at Microsoft. . . and not a single one of them thought to ... just maybe... take 300mS to calculate an A V E R A G E time across all files that are going to be transfered.

Lol

Unbelievable incompetence for such a competent company.

Google has the same sorts of problems... and that is why we (Startup Companies) get a lot of gigs.

-methods

Training for the Revolution

A good topic is training while weighed down.

IF
You try to climb to the top of the ladder and then start carrying weight. . . very easy to fall

IF
You carry 50lbs on your back every day, weights in your pockets, weights on your wrists, running on rocks and slippery surfaces... practice practice for months, then years....

THEN
When it is finally game day, and you drop that weight... You feel like you are weightless... your muscles are huge. . . nobody can pull you down

So
That is why I encourage Entrepreneurs to make all of their mistakes in the bush league. :idea:

* You are going to fail
* You dont know what you are doing
* You ...

Then
After you put in your 5 years or 15 years...

Then you make your play

Timing?

Hitting at the right time is pointless if you drop the ball. You have to have years and years and years of failures and experiences to draw upon to make good snap decisions.

Nearly every decision in a Startup Company is a SNAP decision, often made with limited information in a speculative way.

Gotta know that
Guys who win know that...

... I have run with Winners and Losers
I dont like to lose

... I am fixing to W I N --> Quite big.
Original Bitcoin big

-methods

* Got the 60A copper over to a Sub Panel
* Got a 12AWG run thru PVC, tight to the building, over to an outdoor NEMA 5-20 GFCI
* Got thru the wall to a spot under the sink, conduit linked to a NEMA 5-20
* Drilled thru some cabinetry to get the Dishwasher plugged into that
* Used a $10 Remote good for 1/3HP to put the Garbage Disposal under control

Garbage Disposal usually works on an Air-Switch

* Wet hand pushes button
* Button pressurizes tube
* Tube connected to switch
* Switch bangs a heavy relay
* Controls the Disposal

... Remote Control is not the thing I really want on a spinning cutter, but ... Air switch is too expensive at Home Depot so have to shop around... It will suffice. To service the rig (reach inside) you simply unplug it from the remote

Or just do it...

Everything checked out with my NEMA 5-XX checker
Applied appropriate "Old Work" stickers, but pulled ground anyway

I have a 15' long ground rod - been sitting on it a while.
Going to use a ladder and a pound-tube to put that in the mud by the new Sub Panel. Ground is not required. . . but it is nice to have.

For repairing old work. . .

Pull ground on all the (not) new work
Run GFCI
Apply the sticker that says GFCI Protected
Apply the sticker that says Equipment Ground is missing

... That is smarter than leaving the old stuff in and hanging 3 prong to 2 prong adapters. ... Nothing "NEEDS" ground... I.E. no current flows thru ground. It is a redundant path for Neutral and intended to not allow case to go hot.

... Metal Conduit used to be used as ground - we use Plastic now. If you tie ground to a (good) NEMA outlet, it will then in turn tie it to metal housing. You can see this happens at the little brass spring on the front. Just make sure any metal around 120 or 240 has a path to Ground, even if that Ground is the GFCI...

Cant pull ground everywhere*

Especially not in a 350V Electric Vehicle.

Work hot
Dont get Electrocuted
Do the job right
Use larger conduit then you have to when you can
Dont nick the individual wire insulators
Dont nick the copper when you are stripping
Never pinch color (visible copper on either side of a lug)
Only bend it once
No sharp kinks
Always leave as much slack in the box as is sane or reasonable
Always put access boxes on long stretches, with a loop of wire in that box
Install an outlet any time you are stopping someplace. ... Why not?
Know your Power Draw numbers
. . .

A 1500W 120V heater is a VERY DIFFERENT LOAD SCENARIO than a thermally protected Garbage Disposal.

An EV Charge Station. . . like a heater. . . pull that power until everything goes hot

Some things need a home run.
Some things should have one and dont.

You can sneak a 14G ground in with 12G pull
Never pull 14 when you can pull 20
Always install a Sub Panel when you can. Much better to pull 10awg, 8awg, 6awg... hit a sub panel, then pucker down with 15A or 20A breakers.

Always comes in handy later.
Nothing more lame than super long runs of 14 side by side... WHY?

... Most installs are from the perspective of a low cost home builder.

eh
... if in doubt, put it in conduit. You can put conduit over anything you want. Right across your Livingroom wall if you need to. Get the damn job done, better than 3 extension cords running across the room. Think Safe

Think SAFE
Not Pretty
Not Code
Not Cheap

... If you think SAFE you will end up CODE

Search for Code, it is all online now.

Use this here
Minimum space from that here
Maximum distance between holders here
... Follow it - even when nobody is going to look

Eh
Used HomeLine because I have a bunch of it. I use SquareD products for Electrical. I would have liked QO, but this is what I had.

When buying NEMA 5-15, buy the BETTER units. They are better in every way and you will know it on the job. EVERY WAY... dont save $5 then spend 50 minute fing around with junk outlets.

Good NEMA outlet with a good copper pull is the only thing between you and melted stuff. Do it right - Heavy on copper, light on fussing, get everything tight.

Follow a procedure
Check your work
Take pictures
Take Video

-methods

[youtube]JO4kT8tI68c [/youtube]

Final Answer

VeraCrypt on a Sandisk Extreme SSD?

* I dont like it
* I dont trust it
* I already managed to wreck it :confused:

. . . I can recover it (Pretty sure I can) but it could take me a *very* long time to do it. The testing was quite standard.

* Insert and register the SSD over USB
* Confirm you can drag-drop, drivers completely loaded
* Load the Volume Mounting system (in this case, Encryption)
* Create a volume large enough to hold the history of man (420GB)
* Mount that Volume. . .

So...
Now things get slippery

We have (for all windows is concerned) a new "disk". A "Volume". ... only there are two problems
1) It is on USB so can be pulled
2) It is being Encrypted at the MegaTard level

:twisted:

Classic setup right?
* Move all your shit
* Confirm all your shit
* Confirm all your shit again
* Delete Originals :shock:

. . .

-methods

Failure_01.png

Ok... So... I know the password I am entering is correct.
I wrote it on the whiteboard, by the lobby :mrgreen:
(Not really, but I did memorize it and it is correct)

Failure_02.png

So I waited until half of a 320G transfer was complete, then yanked the drive out suddenly.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/lwef/-search-2x-wds-aqsreference?redirectedfrom=MSDN

* NOT 300x225

Wildcards. . .
Regular Expressions

* means Anything
NOT with a space on either side is a keyword
300x225 is part of a file name I want to filter out

... here we go again

Files Not containing -100x100
* NOT *-100x100 *

Files not ending in -100x100
* NOT *-100x100

* is match all
NOT is removing next term
*-100x100 is anything ending in -100x100

Here we go
* NOT *-100x100 NOT *-150x150
All files except those ending in -100x100 and -150x150

Acceptable querey
* NOT *-100x100 NOT *-150x150 NOT *-300x225 NOT *-225x300

8)

Goat-768x1024.jpg

Now we are getting somewhere

* Stay up late
* Wake up early
* Go right to advanced RegX searches

* State up late
* Wake up early
* Go right to recovering a corrupted Encrypted Volume

* Stay up late
* Wake up early
* Jump off a cliff into gnarly surf

[youtube]diBiRYCmOGw[/youtube]

I turned last second to put my feet toward the cliff
Second duck dive exhausted me - after that I was vulnerable
A third wave would have raked me, got lucky

. . . now I am starting to land on some content. Finally!

[youtube]4CF-vbNKNnc[/youtube]

-methods

I am trying to pull

* All pictures that are not overly compressed
* Original MethTek video where we were eating "Solder Chips"
* . . .

Anyway, back to the Encrypted volume

-methods

Cant pull data, internet says I should be able to
https://www.reddit.com/r/VeraCrypt/comments/giztt7/unplugging_usb_before_the_veracrypt_volume_is/

. . . a lot of people reporting the same mistake
https://superuser.com/questions/1253316/veracrypt-encrypted-partition-cannot-be-mounted-after-external-hdd-disconnected

Not working for me

Nope

-methods

This is where it REALLY goes south

* Download sketch software tool
* Enter Volume password :shock:

Failure_03.png

. . . you see, you want to find this out BEFORE you are doing it with the real deal. ... eh, I have already decided to go another route with my Encryption. Free is great, but this is wasting my time. Any Encryption host must be robust to the most basic and expected operation:

* Oh, oops... unplugged the drive in the middle of a 23 hour operation

:eek:

Duh, right?

... So
Until such time as I find that tool, I am marking this tool as "Cool, but not ready for prime time"

This is the Theme Song for nearly all Freeware and Startup Companies.
In this case - no doubt, encryption is tits
BUT
... It is sorta like having a V12 Engine on a GoKart. If it does not work for the task intended thru expected environments, then it can not move forward.

... I am sure developer knows this -
Tho - QUITE disappointed at how the 37 complaints I found all claimed "solvable". We will see.

-methods

Deep down in the Repair section
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Recover_a_TrueCrypt_Volume#:~:text=You%20can%20use%20the%20VeraCrypt,ext2%2F3%2F4).

HALT
Calling it
Uninstalling
Evaluation - FAILED
HRS: 23 :x

-methods

Reverting to Known Good
7Zip - tried and true over the years
Good translator between Linux and Windows

https://www.northeastern.edu/securenu/sensitive-information-2/how-to-use-7-zip-to-encrypt-files-and-folders/

oh yea... 7zip FTW

* Select half gig folder full of trash
* Change Encryption to 256
* Choose Password
* Stuff

nonFailure_01.png

BAM - like 10 seconds

Done and Done
WTF would I want to use some big complicated bunch of crap just to have some encryption on a removable device?

... Just use 7zip
* Its free
* Its fast
* Its tunable
* It works

... Nobody is going to crack your 256 zip file man. You are high on drugs if you think ANYBODY cares enough to spend the time and money.

nonFailure_02.png

I can see how some people want to "Mount" things.
Dont we all (want to "mount" things...)
But - that is a bunch of crap. Not in the requirements. Requirements say "Password Protect things using sufficient encryption"

Ok
Long Password
Good Algorithm
Dont tell anyone your password
Dont email your password

K?

SO>>>
Issues with that

* You can still see the File and Folder names, even if you can not open them

WinRar
But - going to solve it with 7Zip

Double bag it - that will of course do it.
OR - Just compress to 7z

nonFailure_03.png

:mrgreen:

I have been packing encrypted files and patching CRC's for a very long time. I LOVE IT when the 23 year or software guys who cant even get USB to work look down on me. . . like somehow I dont understand the magic. . .

nonFailure_04.png

The biggest reason this method is less failure prone is because the procedure calls to

* Encrypt File local
* Push complete file to SSD

As opposed to the quite failure prone::

* Mount SSD

So - what do we give up?

... Good question
Now - you have to actually unpack your goods if you want to see and use them... so ... BIG DIFFERENCE

1) Working Encryption
2) Storage Encryption

You use Working Encryption if you need to keep working on something daily. If you are just stowing something. . . you DO NOT need working Encryption. You simply need Storage Encryption.

Make sense??

-methods

Ok
Now... Back to building Ebikes.

Had to get that whole File Encryption thing done so I could open the hurtlocker and fish around.

* Open it
* Find what you are after
* Encrypt what you find outside of the locker
* Close it

Thats how I do it. You can basically index and drag.

You will need the (Stupid) Microsoft RegX I posted previously. They dont respect standard RegX, gotta use their format... and it DOES NOT work well. Good luck with that part.

-methods

Dont do things like this

nonFailure_05.png

* Dont drop a hundred gigs on your desktop
* Dont advertise your file structure
* Dont let work pile up on you

At some point. . .
You have to stop

* Clean up
* Pack up
* Prepare to leave the machine

... Machines are temporary. Data is forever.

* Get your data
* Get ready to go
... when you know you are there?

Frag the Machine :shock:

-methods

Final Notes

* Only encrypt that which must be encrypted
* Leave the rest accessible - nobody cares about your wedding pictures or big plans

... eh
In the Entrepreneurial Engineering courses something core resonated**

"If you want me to sign an NDA to hear your elevator pitch, ain't going to happen"
"If your technology is so time sensitive that you cant even tell your investor about the details, then we will never invest. The moment we go to market with what you have. .. the competitor will have it all... so what then? ... What we are investing in is your TEAM and ... not what your team is doing now. . . what your team can do NEXT"

So there you go

Paranoid people do not attract venture well. Eh - at least not the level of venture I am after.

:mrgreen:

Now off to sit on the toilet.

-methods

Jumper_001.jpg

There we go
Got it working.

I will return with some Ebike pics and videos

-methods

OceanEbike_011.jpg
OceanEbike_014.jpg
OceanEbike_015.jpg

Pretty good weekend.

OceanEbike_005.jpg
OceanEbike_012.jpg
OceanEbike_013.jpg

Those guys with the straight beak really go after it. All the way to the meat. I am pretty sure they are going after Sand Crabs. . . as we dont get a lot of small clams here.

. . .

* Bike will need a high rate inflator on it
* Bike will need to carry 100lbs extra weight
* Bike will need to be completely saltwater resistant

. . . On the walk seen above (the one looking around the corner of the slick rock) we found a piece of shipwreck.

One could have mistaken it for the arm of a chair. It was not. ... The way you tell Shipwreck from Human Detritus is by inspecting the fasteners.

With tools you can also inspect the wood layup, but ... Stainless Steel fasteners are expensive and the best indicator of ship parts.

-methods

Been sending out a lot of pings.

Hobby King dropped the ball. Unless they are shipping without updating the website, my order is still "processing". Needed that package "on time", I dont believe it is going to land, ... So I just backed the order with re-fires on Amazon (Remote and Charger). This late in the game Amazon says they can drop on the day I need it.

Lets see :shock:

Grin fired back unbelievably quick on a load of CA's - > Wow! Drop-ship quick, like... they had them in the bushes outside of my house and the moment I clicked the button someone tossed them in thru my window.

Ordered some PCB Stencils (9 different orders, broken into 3 batches) all showed up quickly, correctly, and plenty fast. Found that price goes up real quick with square inches.

... Been baking a lot of PCB's lately. Lego PCB's.

-methods

I remember when the kids were little, dropping off one of my daughters for a play date. LOL, the dad had a little dog, wearing a diaper. I know he had to make a special purchase, since they were for pre-me babies, so tiny. :shock:
Seemed like the opposite of potty training. :lol: Like he'd given up. :roll:

As for those file transfers, the large files like your screenshot of a video file will transfer quickly, about 100 MB/s. The groups of small files such as images take a lot longer. In my head, it has to start a new file, fill it with data, close the file, update the MFT or table of contents for each little file.

methods said:
Been sending out a lot of pings.

Hobby King dropped the ball. Unless they are shipping without updating the website, my order is still "processing". Needed that package "on time", I dont believe it is going to land, ... So I just backed the order with re-fires on Amazon (Remote and Charger). This late in the game Amazon says they can drop on the day I need it.

I retract the above statement.
An hour or three after I gave up on the order, it shipped. Tracking says it should arrive 2 days ahead of deadline. . . so. . . Golden. Shipping out of Oregon to 95062 - ... looks almost overnight.

I have been ordering from Hobby King since way before they were Hobby king -> this was long before US Warehouses -> So I guess I assumed shipping would be slow-dog.

I will report in when the goods arrive. This will be my first batch of Nano(anything) and I am interested to understand why it has a *range* of C rating. I am going on the assumption that the process is not yet perfect. . . so some may come out at 40C (minimum) while others can run 75C. ... Either way, both of those numbers are I N S A N E ->

1.5Ah
40C
That is 60A out of a pack that I could hide in a pack of ciggies. Unbelievable.

... Anyway
Big event on the 9th.

... I am doing a comparison with some of the Amazon radio gear. My (pre)expectations are that the Hobby King equipment will perform much better. We will see. ... The Hobby King unit I selected was Backordered when I went for the final buy, so I had to take a unit that was significantly (less) nice. ... Still nicer than the $30 garbage I got from Amazon. Controller became very erratic after only 10hrs of use.

Not the kind of thing I am looking for when I am remote controlling full size things :confused:

-methods

E-HP said:
I remember when the kids were little, dropping off one of my daughters for a play date. LOL, the dad had a little dog, wearing a diaper. I know he had to make a special purchase, since they were for pre-me babies, so tiny. :shock:
Seemed like the opposite of potty training. :lol: Like he'd given up. :roll:

yea - That is my original pic.
Laundromat in Washington
A goat in a cast with a diaper.

... I like Washington *

-methods

Back