Another Noob Build!

jakeyb2525 said:
Yeah... I can see why the VESC is so good now...

I'll definitely be getting another one, not seen any bad reports on Torques 12s ESC though

I'm building another board for my son.. he will only need 6s so think I'll try a Mamba Monster 2 for that build

I wasn't super impressed with my MM XL2! It does 8s which is nice, but it's $$$! I stopped tweaking it when i got my VESC. I never did get the brakes where i liked them.

I'd re-use your 12s DIYes on his (at 6 or 8s) or get another VESC.

Tried out a Mamba Monster 2 tonight on 5s

Did not expect much at all to be honest!!.....Especially running 20t/44T on 5s....i didn't think the board would even start moving with me on it!!

after some tweaking and about 8 miles later....i was in shock!!

I was using Torques little RC Transmitter and receiver and it works really well, nice and small in the hand too

I can't understand why it rode so well though :? :?

Maybe it is the Torque these motors have and i underestimated them?

Or maybe the gear ration im using ?

once i got the ESC settings bang on, it pulled my fat ass up and down hills for about 8 miles and didn't break a sweat!!....

The acceleration is good...it pulled me up some decent hills like a train and held its speed! ...it feels a bit like my E-go after the 10s mod but better :?

The top speed is only around 14-15mph but i'm kind of thinking 6s would bring my top speed up to as fast as i would want to go lol

The brakes set at 60% and a little tweak of the brake curve ..it stops way better than the E-GO too !

Maybe it's because i'm use to riding a slow underpowered E-GO

whatever the case it's not far off from what i would be happy with myself as a daily driver ....

I've got another one of torques 12S ESCs on its way....i'm thinking 10s will be too much for me running one motor i might end up running it on 8s :D

I really wasn't expecting the hill climbing power and speed this little set up had on 5s, it will be perfect for my sons board and will definitely need turning down a lot!

I can see why so many people are happy running a similar 6s setup....it definitely does the job on 5s so i'm sure it would be sufficient for most on 6s

Ive got a few different size pulleys and belts here to try out but don't think changing them will make it ride any better....do many run 20T/44T ?

I'll send you a new set once I get it.. Should be next week sometime.

The new set is just smaller typical is around 16T/36T for my setups but the other's available are usually very similar. 12T to 16T for motor pulley and 32T/36T normally for drive wheel pulleys.

The belt being as close to the wheel as possible is best as it's much more responsive. It does increase drag though when you ride kicking.

But for me, it's too fun to ride electric to bother kicking :mrgreen:

Thanks... i'll definitely try it

Im quite suprised how well the 20t/44t rode today,,,might just be me lol

The new set is just smaller typical is around 16T/36T for my setups but the other's available are usually very similar. 12T to 16T for motor pulley and 32T/36T normally for drive wheel pulleys.

"So does 20T/44T give you the same ratio as 16T/36T just in a smaller profile ?"

Yeah, it's the same ratio or almost.

20T/44T = 1:2.2
16T/36T = 1:2.25

So the difference isn't that much different.

I actually believe more teeth in contact make the ride much better. This is in relation to the 44T. However, 44T does add a little extra weight to the setup.

Yeah is does ride well, not sure how long the main gear will last though as its so big lol... only done 8 miles or so yesterday and its looking a bit rough :roll:

As i bought a few different enclosures from AD, i thought i would try and tart it up for now with the MM2 installed

Looks alot neater for now, i've ordered two 6s 5000ah packs to try the MM2 & SK3 on 6s

Im currently in the process of buying parts for another build :mrgreen:

Being 6ft 7" i think need a longer board for a wider stance, ill be using 8-10s with one of Torques 12s ESCs until i can get another VESC

After trying this setup i don't think i will ever need to run a dual motor setup, this motor on 8-10s should be plenty enough for me!

Im trying to find a 15mm wide belt and pulley system for my next build ...anyone know who sells them with the drive gear pre drilled & tapped ?

Just a little update for any new guys

Current setup:

*Madrid Board

*Turnigy SK3 6374 192kv Motor

*Mamba Monster 2 ESC (max 6s)

*2 x Zippy 6s 5000ah

*Torques 63mm single motor mechanical drive kit inc 90mm wheels

*Torques mini RC Transmitter and Receiver

*Alien Drive Systems Enclosures

When i started my build i really didn't think a 6S setup would pull me about.. like i have previously said, i live in a very hilly area and i'm a big guy!

The 6374 motor is a beast!!! it pulls me up any hill in my area at 15+mph

Tons of torque and a Top speed of 19mph on flat ground

My comfortable cruising speed is 10-12mph

Had a speedo app running last night...

7.6 miles and still had some left in the tank....this was mainly steep hill climbing and a lot of heavy breaking the whole 7.6 mile

I thought i would share this info anyway as i can't see anyone not being happy with a setup like this :D

To be continued .....

torqueboards said:
I'll send you a new set once I get it.. Should be next week sometime.

The belt being as close to the wheel as possible is best as it's much more responsive. It does increase drag though when you ride kicking.

But for me, it's too fun to ride electric to bother kicking :mrgreen:

Any idea when these pulleys are coming in i payed for well over a Month ago???

The carbon ring and drive gear you sent me lasted a week before falling to bits!

torqueboards said:
Hey Jake..

It's sending out tomorrow. I'll message you the tracking number.

Brilliant!!...the boards been off the road and me and my son want to go riding...Please Please dont forget to mount the hub gear on the new wheel like we agreed :wink:

Also ...could you send them as gift please as i have already paid the customs on them once and its not cheap...thanks :D

Back