Aussie Role Call

Ypedal said:
Hyena said:
Jesus that's the slowest I've ever seen a bunch of ebikes move. I doubt you were using the street legal 200w between the lot of you :lol:

lmao.. read my mind... wanted to scream out SISSIES..... ( But.. all things considered.. i've been present at a serious ATV group ride accident, the pace slows way down after an " incident !! " :eek: )

How's the healing lalaland man ?

Healing is going about on schedule .. getting near to half way. Only a little pain in the back now, and only bothers me at all while trying to get to sleep. Had a haircut in bed today...how many people get that hey!

Ypedal said:
Hyena said:
Jesus that's the slowest I've ever seen a bunch of ebikes move. I doubt you were using the street legal 200w between the lot of you :lol:

lmao.. read my mind... wanted to scream out SISSIES..... ( But.. all things considered.. i've been present at a serious ATV group ride accident, the pace slows way down after an " incident !! " :eek: )

HBWC brother was along riding the chopper seen in previous pages his pace was a lil slow, Jono also had a frock motor that wasn't the quickest he had to be pushed up one small rise LoL so the speed was low to accommodate this...that
video was also straight after the crash when we reassembled and headed off, we were all shocked a lil and concerned about Lawrie. Next ride will be quicker im sure, Jonos brother has nabbed his cyclone motor for his bike...

I am thinking we could have another ride day this coming March in conjuction with the 'manual pedal' charity ride day (forget what the cause is for) anyone think this would be doable? I will get exact dates and post them or someone else feel free to if they know. I believe there is a 10km 'family ride' a 20km and 30km ride i vote for the 20km i think everyone has the 'gas' for that, if we have enough for the 30km though count me in that would be epic ride as all of it is on the Perth Cycle paths, i believe one of them is from Perth to freakin Joondalup !! Thats a hike and a half ain't it? Lawrie should be fully healed and his bent, erm "re-straightenend" LoL...

KiM

lalaland said:
Healing is going about on schedule .. getting near to half way. Only a little pain in the back now, and only bothers me at all while trying to get to sleep. Had a haircut in bed today...how many people get that hey!

Good to hear things are on the mend. Are you able sit up for the haircut ?? I hope they didn't just trim the bits they could get to and leave you with a mullet :lol:

AussieJester said:
I am thinking we could have another ride day this coming March
Don't forget I'll be over at the end of March/start of April. It probably won't line up with this event but hopefully I'll have an hr or 2 free for west side ebike related shenanigans.

Hyena said:
Don't forget I'll be over at the end of March/start of April. It probably won't line up with this event but hopefully I'll have an hr or 2 free for west side ebike related shenanigans.

Yup Yup all on schedule for your arrival, the frock motor i bought off you is ready to be fitted to the Huffy drifter trike and the 4 12v 18ah slas slung on the back and fastened with duct tape, should be a handful for you see how you go on that before we let you near the e-bikes for grown ups....male grown upz :mrgreen: :p

KiM

and another reason the pace was slow at that point is I don't think anyone knew which direction to take and that area is right near the police training where one was walking his black shepherd in the opposite direction, the pace did pick up a bit not long after but it was'nt a race and there where lots of pedestrians to watch out for

AussieJester said:
Ypedal said:
Hyena said:

HBWC brother was along riding the chopper seen in previous pages his pace was a lil slow, Jono also had a frock motor that wasn't the quickest he had to be pushed up one small rise LoL so the speed was low to accommodate this...that
video was also straight after the crash when we reassembled and headed off, we were all shocked a lil and concerned about Lawrie. Next ride will be quicker im sure, Jonos brother has nabbed his cyclone motor for his bike...

I am thinking we could have another ride day this coming March in conjuction with the 'manual pedal' charity ride day (forget what the cause is for) anyone think this would be doable? I will get exact dates and post them or someone else feel free to if they know. I believe there is a 10km 'family ride' a 20km and 30km ride i vote for the 20km i think everyone has the 'gas' for that, if we have enough for the 30km though count me in that would be epic ride as all of it is on the Perth Cycle paths, i believe one of them is from Perth to freakin Joondalup !! Thats a hike and a half ain't it? Lawrie should be fully healed and his bent, erm "re-straightenend" LoL...

KiM
cool in time for the upgrade may even have your old bus going and leave the 500w hub for hyena to ride as its harder to fall of a trike

ps you want to hitch a lift to shents next week as my appointment was prosponned till wed

Howdy foks. For those who may be interested. I got up for the first time yesterday and had an xray , which was all OK. Have now had a brace fitted and am am able to walk around unassisted.Yay! I'm pretty shaky and have a few aches and pains, but everything is looking good!
Cheers,
Lawrie

That's great news, Lawrie!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Jeremy

Fantastic news. Great to hear you are getting mobile again

All the best for a rapid recovery.

- Adrian

AussieJester said:
Great to hear Lawrie, how long before they let you home? You be ready for the next group ride
in a month or so mate?

KiM
Gidday mate, I've been discharged as of yesterday. It is so good to be out and about! I'm tottering around like a one year old! Legs are very sore and back needs horizontal rest every couple of hours, so I'm not capable of much at the present. I'll still have to wear a very restrictive brace for 6 weeks so riding may not be best option for a while longer.

Cheers,
Lawrie

lalaland said:
AussieJester said:
Great to hear Lawrie, how long before they let you home? You be ready for the next group ride
in a month or so mate?

KiM
Gidday mate, I've been discharged as of yesterday. It is so good to be out and about! I'm tottering around like a one year old! Legs are very sore and back needs horizontal rest every couple of hours, so I'm not capable of much at the present. I'll still have to wear a very restrictive brace for 6 weeks so riding may not be best option for a while longer.

Cheers,
Lawrie

Great news Laurie! bet your happy as a pig in shit to be out of Shenton Park ....If you need a hand fixing the trike (when the time comes) happy to help where i can... IIRC you have a welder so replacing the 'backbone' of the trike will be a simple fix i'm guessing?

KiM

Hi everyone.

Hope it is okay to post this here and change the topic a little.
I hope the guy who is all injured will be back on track and feeling better soon.

This is my life,,,,LOL
I am from Melbourne.
My name is Andrew. I just work in a warehouse, my boss sells all kinds of things on ebay, and I just check returns and help with packing orders. My main skills or knowledge as such is in the area of RC airplanes,mainly flying lol,,Anyway lol,,,

Good to see so many Aussies here, even if some of you do sound a little crazy,,,Joking.
I would put up a pic of me with my ebike, but dont have any pics lol.

Have been playing with hub motors on ebikes for around 4 years now. got into them because I had all these big lipos laying around, and had experience with brushless motors and thought, ohhh what can I use these batteries on. So bought a hub motor, and ended up loving it and buying more motors as time went on.
Used hi quality Lipo's for the first 3 years,running various voltages and combinations, then recently went to dodgy cheap LifePO4 packs which I got stung on by the dodgy seller as one of them barely works!.
And now just about to try out some headyway packs.
Blown my fair share of various controllers.
But motor wise have had 100% reliability, except for one X5 which had a hall die on the second ride, which was easily sorted out and fixed.
I run a few different GM rear hubs, and a clyte 5304 and 5305.
My max speed I have done is just on 80kph. However did not really enjoy that type of speed on my kmart bike,and did not enjoy losing capacity to carry extra volts in my battery setup.
So my daily kmart bikes are setup for around 54-60kph on 48v which is awesome for the trails I ride on.
They dont quiet wheelie or smoke up the tires, but they feel like they have plenty of grunt for me when operating in their zone(power band). Also i have started doing ebike conversions for guys locally which is great, just sorting them out with the gear and fitting the bike out.

So,,, sorry for all that ramble,,,
Just interested to know if anyone preferably in Melbourne would have the skills to be able to modify my controller for me. Or show me how to do it.
Or if you are not in Melbourne and you think you are the man for the job, then I can post it up to you and am happy to pay for your time as long as you can kind of work out some mates rates or something. Like if it is going to cost too much, then I would be better off just saving up for a new controller.
Mainly I just want the LVC cutout adjusted.
Currently it is a 72v controller, which is good. But I have a new Headway 60v pack coming, and dont have the money to buy a new controller, so would love to be able to run this controller on my 60v Headway pack.

Any ideas please guys?
I have a post in the technical area on it, and someone from 'usa' did reply with all this info on how it may be able to be done, but my goodness, I dont even understand half of what he said to do/try.

Best Regards
Andrew

Attachments

• 72v controller.JPG
    72v controller.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 1,694
G'day Andrew... always good to see another Aussie welcome aboard... re: your controller, there is a few members
here from Melbourne hopefully they will pop in and see your post, if not, perhaps make another post in the e-bike technical section of the forum
for more advice regarding modifications...There is a member in N.S.W forum member hyena, i'm sure he could do the job for you if your willing to send it his way, i believe he is popping to Melbourne soon to might even pick it up, i have a link in my sig to his website you could also contact him via this or PM through forum...Great guy always happy to help and wont charge like a wounded bull, hes not so much in it for the dollars as to help get people on e-bikes..

Best of luck

KiM

I'm an American, but an honorary Australian (by decree of my Aussie friends who run Rip Curl...I proved meself through my knowledge of Aussie culture, history and surfing knowledge especially).

So, that said, I noticed Sky Captain's introduction and that you're into RC.

I'd like to introduce you to a couple Aussies who share an interest with you, but on a different forum: APlanding.com.

It's a website dedicated to rc aerial photography. They use rc helicopters and planes, along with other contraptions to take photos of houses, beaches, etc.

Check it out. There are a couple professionals on there from whom we all get tons of advice, and they're both Aussies. www.aplanding.com

It has nothing to do with bikes, but everything to do with electronics, gadgetry and proud nerdery.

AussieJester said:
lalaland said:
AussieJester said:
in a month or so mate?

KiM

Cheers,
Lawrie

Great news Laurie! bet your happy as a pig in shit to be out of Shenton Park ....If you need a hand fixing the trike (when the time comes) happy to help where i can... IIRC you have a welder so replacing the 'backbone' of the trike will be a simple fix i'm guessing?

KiM

Gdday Kim and all,
Ok the backs healing well, but unsurprisingly, after all this time, the trikes frame has not healed one jot or tittle! Ive finally managed to do a little today and pulled a few things off the trike. So heres some shots of the bent bit. Any help with good ideas/repairs appreciated.
View attachment frame1.JPG
View attachment frame3.JPG
The original angle
View attachment frame4.JPG

@ cycleadelaide welcome to Endless Sphere, you will find all the info you
need to build yourself a class ride here, people are friendly and hella knowledgeable...

@lalaland damn! i missed the post till now...i recalled you pretty well banana'ed the trike on the ride, i am pleased though that your well enough to be looking at fixing it...How is the back? still in a cast? As to fixing it, i would offer my welding services but i have now welder ATm it shit itself :: sigh ::

KiM

lalaland said:
Gdday Kim and all,
Ok the backs healing well, but unsurprisingly, after all this time, the trikes frame has not healed one jot or tittle! Ive finally managed to do a little today and pulled a few things off the trike. So heres some shots of the bent bit. Any help with good ideas/repairs appreciated.
View attachment 2
View attachment 1
The original angle

Hi Lawrie,

can you make two extra large side plates (guessets) to replace the old seat mounts and straighten the main pole and weld them on? Its hard to tell from here, but that looks like a plausible fix. Another possiblitle would be to remove the bent section of tube and weld in new stuff but that would require more skill I think. As to the welder, I have a nice little CIG inverter welder (stick type) here which I use to intimidate pieces of steel into bonding, but I'm sure others here have better gear and more knowledge than me.

Simon.

Laurie, i would look at replacing the entire tube
if possible...if thats to big a job, as mentioned above cut and fit new section, i'll dob Matt.P in he lives close and has a fantastic MiG setup i'm sure he would be more than happy to run a few welds hes pro welder.

KiM

Hi Laurie,
Let me know if you need some welding done mate.
Also there is a steel shop around the corner where I can get very cheap off cuts.
Cheers,
Matt.P.

shorza said:
Hey all, anyone help me on where to buy some cheap torque arms, or perhaps designing some for a bulk order.

Hi shorza, the torque arms aren't that hard to make with a file a drill, a hacksaw, and some clamps or a vice (do a search of the site for some good advice). But if you don't feel up to it you can buy one from e-mtb.com.au (but not necessarily cheap). Or import a pair from Canada. I strongly encourage you to try and make them as the cheapest option though.

Back