Bafang 850C color LCD, currently working for TSDZ2 motor -- Flexible OpenSource firmware

great thanks. Ive installed the 0.5 beta3 fw on it, and the v19 fw on my tsdw2, and I couldnt seem to get the motor turning. With the temp config on disabled I could see 0-255 feedback from the throttle, but when I selected throttle I'd get no response or activity from it. I had troubles with the other features as well and couldnt get much response from it.. assumed maybe there was some incompatibility between my motor and lcd firmwares? Ive just installed the v20 beta on my tsdw2 and lcd3 and trying it out. Any suggestings regarding v19 w my 850C would be appreciated (or maybe I should forget about the 850C with this new version)
thanks again

Powerhour said:
great thanks. Ive installed the 0.5 beta3 fw on it, and the v19 fw on my tsdw2, and I couldnt seem to get the motor turning. With the temp config on disabled I could see 0-255 feedback from the throttle, but when I selected throttle I'd get no response or activity from it. I had troubles with the other features as well and couldnt get much response from it.. assumed maybe there was some incompatibility between my motor and lcd firmwares? Ive just installed the v20 beta on my tsdw2 and lcd3 and trying it out. Any suggestings regarding v19 w my 850C would be appreciated (or maybe I should forget about the 850C with this new version)
thanks again
Older versions of 850C firmware and V0.19 motor firmware should work!!

Seems some issue on the firmware of the 850C, because as you can see, the throttle works...

Hey there!

Having the same issue with the throttle showing the temperatur warning. Anyone figured out what causes this?

Also, I'm wondering what the setting "expert" in the motor configuration means. You can set it to 36V, 48V and "expert" - anyone mind explaining the last setting to me?

I had only the motor connected, without putting it into an actual bike. My display runs the latest firmware for the 850C (beta 3). The throttles works, but as said, it only gives me about 20 to maximum 30 Watt of power, before displaying the temperatur warning.

Best regards :)

Snoopz said:
Hey there!

Having the same issue with the throttle showing the temperatur warning. Anyone figured out what causes this?

Also, I'm wondering what the setting "expert" in the motor configuration means. You can set it to 36V, 48V and "expert" - anyone mind explaining the last setting to me?

I had only the motor connected, without putting it into an actual bike. My display runs the latest firmware for the 850C (beta 3). The throttles works, but as said, it only gives me about 20 to maximum 30 Watt of power, before displaying the temperatur warning.

Best regards :)
Thanks for reporting. I hope in next days to solve the issue and release a new version.

expert is for high cadence mode, please see the KT-LCD3 configurations to understand.

Despite using my fingers to maintain electrical contact whilst programming the LCD3 display I can’t recall ever having odd results, at least not like with the 850C. Is the boot loader reliable? My hardware is hard-wired unlike the LCD3.

I’ve reloaded v0.5.0-beta.3 which was jumping all over the place but is now stable.

Hello I am new in this forum and need some help to get the 850c display running. The display is connected with the TSDZ2, but it is the following problem:

IMG-20191219-111008.jpg

When I start the display it doesn't matter what I do, it only says waiting TSDZ2 and nothing happens.

I hope somebody can help.

Best regards

Crusza said:
Hello I am new in this forum and need some help to get the 850c display running. The display is connected with the TSDZ2, but it is the following problem:

IMG-20191219-111008.jpg

When I start the display it doesn't matter what I do, it only says waiting TSDZ2 and nothing happens.

Best regards
Follow again all the wiki steps to wire the display and flash the firmware. Something is missing as there is no correct "talking" between TSDZ2 and the display.

Crusza said:

IMG-20191219-111008.jpg

Best regards

Do you have version 19 on the TSDZ2?
Have you connected the TX and RX wires on the display correctly?

I checked everything many Times, tried to change TX and RX but still the same problem.

Yes the controller is flashed with the "TSDZ2-v0.19.0.hex" firmware
The Display is flashed with the latest "850C_v0.5.0-beta.8-bootloader.bin"

The stange thing is that i can use marcoq's firmware with the stock VLCD5 and it works fine. I understand that it looks like the display can't communicate with the controller, but i really checked everything many times, measured the connections,checked the pinout...

Crusza said:
I checked everything many Times, tried to change TX and RX but still the same problem.

Yes the controller is flashed with the "TSDZ2-v0.19.0.hex" firmware
The Display is flashed with the latest "850C_v0.5.0-beta.8-bootloader.bin"

The stange thing is that i can use marcoq's firmware with the stock VLCD5 and it works fine. I understand that it looks like the display can't communicate with the controller, but i really checked everything many times, measured the connections,checked the pinout...
Try an older version of 850C_v0.5.0-beta.x

Still I expect it to work.

I bought a 850C on Aliexpress and I tried to flash the firmware, but the screen does not turn on. Will it be a faulty screen? Connecting the brown and black wires to positive and negative at 52 V, should the screen turn on?

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried different firmware versions, unfortunately no success.

As I can see at the end of this video, you should at least get into the normal menu when the display is on, but not yet connected to the TSDZ2, or am I wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0efCpe-Yj50

Because only see "waiting for TSDZ2", regardless of whether the display is connected to the notebook by "step up buck" or directly connected to the motor.

Crusza said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried different firmware versions, unfortunately no success.

As I can see at the end of this video, you should at least get into the normal menu when the display is on, but not yet connected to the TSDZ2, or am I wrong?

Because only see "waiting for TSDZ2", regardless of whether the display is connected to the notebook by "step up buck" or directly connected to the motor.
Yes, it would jump to main screen.

Crusza said:

If not connected to the motor, I only get waiting for TSDZ2. Goes to the main screen only when connected.

If not connected to the motor, I only get waiting for TSDZ2. Goes to the main screen only when connected.

You give me hope that I can get it to work someday. Will continue to look for the cause of the problem.

I bought a 850C on Aliexpress and I tried to flash the firmware, but the screen does not turn on. Will it be a faulty screen? Connecting the brown and black wires to positive and negative at 52 V, should the screen turn on?

josafrik said:

If you connect brown to +voltage and black to ground the display should turn on.

Hello to the developers, compliments for the great development of the software!

One question, where can I activate and set the street mode on the Bafang 850C? I have the latest beta installed and cannot find the menu item.

Thank you!

I think I destroyed my 850C. Tried to flash it with bootloader mode, and used the wrong pinout. I have a 5pin extension wire (from PSWPOWER) and used it's pinout to connect the display. RED wire was VCC, black GND and GREEN/YELLOW as TX/RX. Blue wire was not connected. But I guess that was wrong.

I'm a bit lost now. I'm pretty sure something will fry inside when connected to 30V, especially the serial lines. Correct?

So here are my questions:

.) Should the display turn on and show something when only connected to GND&VCC? That way I could test if it's complete toast or not. Any which one is VCC? Is it BROWN (PL/Vin) or ORANGE (P+)?
.) Is VCC of the display = Battery voltage or maybe 5V?
.) What is the correct pinout of the DISPLAY male plug? Please give a picture & pinout to pin numbers, which are noted on the connector to be 100% sure.

NOTE: I don't want to open the display if it can be avoided, or cut the connector off if not totally needed.

I got that picture but am not sure if this is the correct one:

izeman said:
I'm pretty sure something will fry inside when connected to 30V, especially the serial lines. Correct?

I'm far from an expert here, but yeah that probably fried something. Old-school serial would sometimes be 12 or 15V, but pretty sure almost everything these days is 3.3V or 5V.

My display doesn't turn on unless I hold down the power button (I think that's a separate issue), if you apply power and hold down the button does the LCD power on after a second?

izeman said:
.) Should the display turn on and show something when only connected to GND&VCC? That way I could test if it's complete toast or not. Any which one is VCC? Is it BROWN (PL/Vin) or ORANGE (P+)?
.) Is VCC of the display = Battery voltage or maybe 5V?
For me, I measure ~50V at the Brown and ~48V at the Orange wires. Pretty sure the voltage meter on the display is reporting the voltage between the orange wire and ground.

izeman said:
.) What is the correct pinout of the DISPLAY male plug? Please give a picture & pinout to pin numbers, which are noted on the connector to be 100% sure.

NOTE: I don't want to open the display if it can be avoided, or cut the connector off if not totally needed.

I got that picture but am not sure if this is the correct one:

3GaLDI1.jpg

As far as I know, that's correct, and worked for me to flash my display.

I'm also getting "Waiting for TSZD2" along with the battery voltage.

I've tried re-flashing multiple versions of motor and controller.

I checked the voltages on the cables from the motor:
Black (Ground)
Brown 41.7v
green 41.7v
white 180mv
orange 16mv
Purple 4.6v

This seems at odds with what I'd expect from this page: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Wire-850C-to-TSDZ2

Any thoughts?

This bike came with a XH18 display. I put this display on a bike I've leant a friend, which worked fine.

I've tried to put the VLCD5 display from that bike on to this. It comes up with all symbols solid on the screen. (ie 888 for numbers etc) Unplugging the brown wire (41.7v) lets the screen work normally, but it doesn't seem to be controller the motor - nothing happening.
I've reverted to stock firmware and gone back to custom too.

_g_ said:
I'm also getting "Waiting for TSZD2" along with the battery voltage.

I've tried re-flashing multiple versions of motor and controller.

I checked the voltages on the cables from the motor:
Black (Ground)
Brown 41.7v
green 41.7v
white 180mv
orange 16mv
Purple 4.6v

This seems at odds with what I'd expect from this page: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Wire-850C-to-TSDZ2

Any thoughts?

This bike came with a XH18 display. I put this display on a bike I've leant a friend, which worked fine.
I've tried to put the VLCD5 display from that bike on to this. It comes up with all symbols solid on the screen. (ie 888 for numbers etc) I think unplugging the brown wire lets the screen work normally, but it doesn't seem to be changing anything.
I've reverted to stock firmware and gone back to custom too.

Have you flashed the motor with the correct version of the firmware ?

andrewgateway said:
Have you flashed the motor with the correct version of the firmware ?
Yes. I started with the latest version of the firmware on motor and 850 screen and the screen correctly reports back the version for it's firmware.
Also tried an older version of the custom firmware on both and the original firmware on the motor (which I tried again with the VLCD5 display).

Hi All,

I received my new 850C display (after smoking the first one :oops: ), I've managed to install the firmware (via SWD/JTAG). All wend well and it looks awesome. Great job guys! :bigthumb:

I didn't manage to install through the bootloader option, but knowing my way into the display I made an additional hole in the backface and prepared the upload cable. I used the same plug as for the wheel speed sensor cable. This makes an easy access for future firmware uploads.

Now I'm on to the next step: wiring the display to the 8-pin TSDZ2 motor cable. I was double checking my wiring and found some inconsistency in the provided information. Can someone confirm or correct this information:
Wiring from the 850C cable:
Bafang 850C wires:----motor controller wire function:
brown wire-----------(P+) battery voltage
orange wire----------Vin
black wire-----------GND ground
green wire-----------UART TX motor controller
white wire-----------UART RX motor controller

My problem is with the 'brown' and 'orange' wires, if you look into the picture of the LCD the left most wire (orange) has got the label "bat_o", which translates to "Battery Out" most likely. That conflicts with the table!!

Btw: green and white are Rx and Tx (which cross connect off-course) so the labels in the table are fine.

Bafang_850C_board-01.jpg

Best regards,
LVX

Back