Bafang BBSHD, 1000W, 68mm-120mm BB

Hello guys. So looking forward for this new case. I am glad they have reworked freewheel and rid iff that stupid plastic cover. Have some questions though.

1. Why is on the mottor written 750W? Does it not overheat on continous 1kW power?
2. When do you expecting bafang to release HD motor with higher amps? (5Amps more is not so much comparing to BBS02 which is much lighter) Is this max. value written in controller in som read only memmory, or how is this done?
3. Anybody tried to change shunt resistor in controller?
4. Now confused little bit about that chain wheel, does fit my lekkie to HD motor?

Thanks

1. I am curious as well on regards to the 750w stamp.
2. I haven't seen anything on regards to this anywhere but there are a lot of kits out there that are well above 1kw.
I don't see that plastic gears taking much of a beating at high amperage. To some being silent is key to stay below the radar to avoid a hefty ticket.

-+

Given how badly consumers have abused the BBS0x series I would imagine that the BBSHD is simply an attempt to build a bit more thermal headroom into the BBSxx motors and not a true performance improvement. The extra weight etc just means that you can beat on it all day in the hills and it won't overload. Simply put, the Hd is the motor Bafang would have designed in the first place if they had known how much we would hot rod them. Now that they know what we want (more power!) I fully expect to see a complete redesign in a year or so that addresses the weak spots, like the plastic gear, the chain line offset and others. I would also expect there to be a 2000w heavy duty version for racers and cargo bikers too.

WoodlandHills said:
I fully expect to see a complete redesign in a year or so that addresses the weak spots, like the plastic gear, the chain line offset and others. I would also expect there to be a 2000w heavy duty version for racers and cargo bikers too.

That would be great. Then we will be begging for stronger chains or converting to 520 setups! :twisted:

Ditch Doc said:
Is everyone planning to leave the amps at 30, or increase them with the programming cable?

Does the programming cable work on the BBSHD?
I hope it will be a possible in the future at least!

I got mine delivered last week but I haven't been able to install it.
The programming cable that Luna sells works fine but setting the current above 30 produces an error.

The motor really looks like it can support more than 1500 watts, Now that I have it with care I even think the nylon gear will hold up.
It really looks like Bafang just wanted to make a reliable 750w mid drive. It even has a 750w stamp on the casing.

MrZo said:
The programming cable that Luna sells works fine but setting the current above 30 produces an error.

The motor really looks like it can support more than 1500 watts, Now that I have it with care I even think the nylon gear will hold up.
It really looks like Bafang just wanted to make a reliable 750w mid drive. It even has a 750w stamp on the casing.

Keeping in mind that many or most of the 750 kits are sold in the US. And in most US states the max limit is 750w. Could this be why the cases are being stamped 750w?

dumbass said:
MrZo said:

Keeping in mind that many or most of the 750 kits are sold in the US. And in most US states the max limit is 750w. Could this be why the cases are being stamped 750w?

My guess would be: yes........

In the description on Lunas site (at the very bottom of the page) it says exactly that http://lunacycle.com/motors/bafang-mid-drive-and-parts/bafang-bbshd-1000w-mid-drive-kit-in-stock/.

5 min after my last post the delivery man brought my BBSHD! Wow! This thing is a lot bigger than the 02.

Attachments

• BBSHD 1.JPG
    BBSHD 1.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 4,294
  • BBSHD 3.JPG
    BBSHD 3.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 4,294
It's limited to 30 amps and built to be bulletproof. Mine has barely gotten warm even after long climbs on full throttle and is dead quiet. It's so much fun on a fat bike! I put new tires on today and am going to burn up some watt hours trying them out tomorrow!

hey guys any idea where i can get this (bafang bbshd) in france or at least europe?...

I'll check it out when I get home. From what I've read the answer is no. I ordered the Luna 42T BBSHD specific chain ring with my BBSHD order but they said they would ship that for free when they were ready.

Who knows? How deep is a hole? Your Mileage May Vary.

I run a SS fat bike with the stock steel 46t chainwheel and a 22t sprocket and 12 psi. It tops out in the low 20s on the flat and goes a lot faster on pavement with 25 psi. I bet I would go faster if I put it on my 27 speed recumbent........ :wink:

WoodlandHills said:
I bet I would go faster if I put it on my 27 speed recumbent........ :wink:

Understatement of the day, haha.

I plan to have two battery packs for use with this motor and I am wondering about the controller programing settings so I can switch between the two packs on the fly with out any fuss. One pack is 13 s and one pack is 14 s so I figure it just a matter of setting the LVC concervitively for the 52v pack which would mean the 13s pack may cut out a little on the early side when voltage sag sets in but this way I can just swap back and forth between the two packs.

I will mostly be using the 14s pack but I will have a spare 13s pack that I will carry in my back pack for longer rides and I can then just swap out on the trail as needed.

Would this be the correct way to set the controller settings for switching between the two packs? .....wayne

So I just installed my new BBSHD in place of my BBS02. It went into my 68mm BB bike, the 02 was standard and the HD was for a 68mm BB. The HD seems better in every way. It's a lot bigger, the cranks are centered on the frame (02 was 1/2 in to the right) and the gear cover is metal with a nice seal (02 was crap in this respect). Also, the chain line is better. With the stock 46T sprocket, chain was straight in 5th gear of my 9 spd (42T Luna Bling Ring was ordered with the kit but they aren't quite done yet and the 02 Lekkie doesn't fit). The install of this kit is super simple, anyone can do it. It's plug and play but if you want to change settings on the controller the same cable and software that worked to change settings on the 02 works with the HD. It came from Luna set for throttle in PAS 0 they way I like but they had Max amps at 25 (this was just an over sight, all HD's from Luna come set to 30A) . I tried it like that then bumped it up to 30A (controller won't accept any higher number) . I also tried setting throttle mode to speed and to lie about the wheel size. It does have a little more power but throttle isn't smooth enough for balance point wheelies so I put it back. Just got back from my first real ride and loved it! Only a little more power, as you would expect for a 5 amp increase, but I could ride this thing differently from the 02. I always ride in PAS 0 for throttle only and only ride on single track trials. After reading about the controller problems of the 02 (mine did not have the newer 3077 FETS) I would shift a lot to make sure I always had a fast cadence. With the HD I shifted much less and could stay in a gear from a slow cadence till I couldn't pedal fast enough and it was still pulling. I think less shifting is going help the drive train last. Now, where I ride it doesn't have any real long hills and today was about 50F but no matter what I did the motor and controller were not even warm! The chain did fall off twice when not under power and going over a bunch of small roots, I hope the narrow wide Bling Ring fixes that. Also, this thing can clearly take more power, I really want to give it 10 more Amps! It would be nice to do it without an external controller. I know someone will unlock this thing soon! How do I rotate these pictures?

Attachments

• BBSHD 19.JPG
    BBSHD 19.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 2,548
  • BBSHD 18.JPG
    BBSHD 18.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 2,548
  • BBSHD 16.JPG
    BBSHD 16.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 2,548
  • BBSHD 17.JPG
    BBSHD 17.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 2,548
  • BBSHD 15.JPG
    BBSHD 15.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 2,548
  • BBSHD 14.JPG
    BBSHD 14.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 2,548
  • BBSHD 13.JPG
    BBSHD 13.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 2,548
  • BBSHD 12.JPG
    BBSHD 12.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 2,548
  • BBSHD 11.JPG
    BBSHD 11.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 2,548
  • BBSHD 10.JPG
    BBSHD 10.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 2,548
  • BBSHD 7.JPG
    BBSHD 7.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 5,550
  • BBSHD 5.JPG
    BBSHD 5.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 5,550
  • BBSHD 26.JPG
    BBSHD 26.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 5,328
  • BBSHD 27.JPG
    BBSHD 27.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 5,328
Dogboy1200 said:
The same cable and software that worked to change settings on the controller with the 02 works with the HD. It came from Luna set for throttle in PAS 0 they way I like but they had Max amps at 25. I tried it like that then bumped it up to 30A (controller won't accept any higher number). I also tried setting throttle mode to speed and lie about the wheel size

So you can programme all the controller settings like the BBS02 except you can`t exceed the 30amps - is that what you`re saying?

Interesting.

tommie said:
Dogboy1200 said:
The same cable and software that worked to change settings on the controller with the 02 works with the HD. It came from Luna set for throttle in PAS 0 they way I like but they had Max amps at 25. I tried it like that then bumped it up to 30A (controller won't accept any higher number). I also tried setting throttle mode to speed and lie about the wheel size

So you can programme all the controller settings like the BBS02 except you can`t exceed the 30amps - is that what you`re saying?

Interesting.
Exactly

Woodlandhills, are you running 25 or 30 amps? did you get yours from Luna?

Back