Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

EM3EV rocks!! Paul has decided that the controller is at fault and will ship out a new one as soon as they have stock. He also noted that it will be one of the new 25 amp units programmed to 18 amps for added reliability. Any concerns about service and contact have been more than adequately addressed. :D

Truly a top rank organization. Thank you Paul

I think my controller just crapped out. :cry:
When I turn it on it flashes momentarily and then shuts down.
I have contacted both Paul and LeGrand about getting a replacement. Hoping I can get the new 9FET controller.
Less than 1000 miles on this unit.
I love this drive when it works, but Bafang better step up their game.
[youtube]ucHvGcHRQoQ[/youtube]

Yesterda, mine started making a clicking sound twice with every rotation of the crank arms when the load was high or when I was pedaling hard. The bottom bracket bearing nuts inside the left side of the bottom bracket had loosened a little. I made a simle four prong tool from a 1" aluminum tube and tightened them again, and now it's working fine again. ;)

Please help? Today I went on my third run with the new Bafang 750 mid drive and 1 mile into my ride it stop working. There is no motor response with the PAS or the throttle and no errors on the display. My first two runs that were made yesterday and the day before were flawless. I have a total of 17 miles on this drive.

After it stopped working I noticed a faint click that comes from the motor compartment when I try to turn the throttle or push the peddle. I noticed on this same thread on the second page that there have been a couple others with this same issue but I could not find the resolution. However it was mentioned that it could possibly be a "controller" problem.

What do you think? Thanks...

Update...

Just tried to connect the battery to the motor drive for further testing and found that I get an electric arc. Must be a short in the system...

I'd like a user with the privileges to create a poll, to try and make one about the ratio of failure within the bbs02 buyers.
Any admin could create this for us? I think it could prove usefull for some...

hie2kolob said:
Update...

Just tried to connect the battery to the motor drive for further testing and found that I get an electric arc. Must be a short in the system...
That's normal. It is the current rushing into the controller's capacitors, if they have previously been dtained of electric charge.

teslanv said:
hie2kolob said:
Update...

That's normal. It is the current rushing into the controller's capacitors, if they have previously been dtained of electric charge.

+1 on that. And it actually might be a good sign that the controller isn't totally fried or even the problem at all.

After you talk to Paul somewhere on the Bafang threads is a procedure on how to test the controller.

Bob

Fishy1 said:
EM3EV rocks!! Paul has decided that the controller is at fault and will ship out a new one as soon as they have stock. He also noted that it will be one of the new 25 amp units programmed to 18 amps for added reliability. Any concerns about service and contact have been more than adequately addressed. :D

Truly a top rank organization. Thank you Paul

I figured out i have a dud controller also after testing and troubleshooting with Paul. Involved using a voltmeter on circular cable connection closest to the motor. Impressed with EM3V but worried about the reliability of the Bafang. The cranks are average also and have already started stripping one so have used loctite.

Thinking i will need a backup option to keep me on the road. This controller issue has had me on the bus for 2 weeks already.

jslabonte said:
I'd like a user with the privileges to create a poll, to try and make one about the ratio of failure within the bbs02 buyers.
Any admin could create this for us? I think it could prove usefull for some...
Typically polls ferret out the failures at a higher rate than the successes, rendering them useless. Who goes hunting on the internets for other people who have a motor they are happy with? Nope, we go looking when we have a problem. That's all the poll will show. How many problems with no real ratio to success.

dumbass said:
After you talk to Paul somewhere on the Bafang threads is a procedure on how to test the controller.

Bob

Bob, Any guess as to where or who posted? My search to achieve that thread is at a dead end...

Bob, Any guess as to where or who posted? My search to achieve that thread is at a dead end...

You need to test the pins from the image below (Paul sent me this). Use jumper cables (picture 2) for best connection.

BBS02 Controller Connector.jpg

20140713_113910.jpg

20140710_195251.jpg

So I have a new BBS02 and battery on backorder with Paul at the moment, but the more I read this thread the more reluctant I am to pull the trigger on it. $600US plus shipping is a fair bit of cash for a drive that seems to have a host of potential mechanical and electrical issues. I plan to use this primarily for commuting (15 miles each way), so reliability is important. Also we may or not be able to program the new 9-FET controllers for improved performance and rideability if the new software doesn't emerge.

Not to mention it's mid-summer in the northern hemisphere and by the time I receive BBS and battery from China, summer will likely be over here. By spring of next year, I imagine there will be new, more refined entrants to the self-contained "universal" crank drive market, since Bafang certainly proved it to be viable. Perhaps something built to common bicycle component quality levels. Think Shimano LX. Not sexy but durable and reliable. And I'd gladly pay for it. I'd be willing to pay $1000 for something that is truly reliable and of decent quality. To me, this Bafang sounds to more at home on a lower-end Wal-Mart caliber bike with no-name components.

So please advise me - bite the bullet and buy this somewhat primitive drive for an abbreviated riding season, or hold onto my cash in anticipation of better things to come next spring?

joshseitz said:
So please advise me - bite the bullet and buy this somewhat primitive drive for an abbreviated riding season, or hold onto my cash in anticipation of better things to come next spring?

I have this kit and one of Pauls older MAC 500W kits. To be honest the biggest improvement in the BBS02 is the handling of the bike (no heavy rear wheel on the Bafang). The acceleration, top speeds and range is similar. However with the Bafang I do worry about the inbuilt controller as I stated in a previous post. Apparently the newer 25 a controllers are better but time will prove this I guess. Other aspects of the Bafang (fit, cables, housing, cranks) seem durable and of good quality.

I also think you will have more wear and tear on chains, derailleurs etc with the BBS02. I guess when considering 'reliability' this is a factor. You can reduce this by not shifting gears under load. If all out reliability is what you are after a hub might be the go for you, and the MAC through Paul certainly is a good option. Just make sure your rear wheel and frame are built for the extra weight.

eMax, Thanks for the photos!

Can you please add some details as to what the voltage should read on the multimeter? I am assuming that the battery pack should be connected while these two points are tested.

Thanks
Jeff

hie2kolob said:
eMax, Thanks for the photos!

Can you please add some details as to what the voltage should read on the multimeter? I am assuming that the battery pack should be connected while these two points are tested.

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff

My blown controller was showing between 0v and 0.18v with battery turned on. A word of warning though, be careful, could easily blow a controller using wrong connectors and touching wires with battery powered on. Unfortunately I am not sure what Voltage will be with a fully functioning controller. I can let you know once i receive my replacement controller or perhaps someone else can confirm for you.

joshseitz said:

You're in the squeaky wheel thread getting a distorted view of this motor. There a a lot of happy customers out there (like me) but you won't hear from them in here.

Consider the volume of motors out there (it was very hard for distributors to keep up for a while).

Josh,

This is like going to the butcher to buy a live pig. You've got a second perhaps third generation motor coming from a reputable seller, with stellar support, of a motor with far more successes than failures. As others have pointed out this is a problem thread. Pick your favorite motor vehicle and then go to a repair forum. You'll find the same situation. Relax, it'll be a great runner. Oh, and when did you Oregonians turn wuss on winter riding? I'll be out as long as there's no ice, far colder in MN than OR. :wink:

Totally agree with Tom and others on the positive. Mine is a mk1 bbs 750W. Has had a few repairs over the past 10 months but has a hard life with a mix of hard single trail and high speed commuting. Overall the drive has been a Jem. 3500km covered so far and still going strong and quite. Wouldn't hesitate buying a second unit.

Unread postby joshseitz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:19 pm

So I have a new BBS02 and battery on backorder with Paul at the moment, but the more I read this thread the more reluctant I am to pull the trigger on it. $600US plus shipping is a fair bit of cash for a drive that seems to have a host of potential mechanical and electrical issues. I plan to use this primarily for commuting (15 miles each way), so reliability is important.

You make some good points, and going by this thread below from 2-700 miles expect to have some problems that need repairing.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61430

I think Kepler has done the most miles on this,
3500km covered so far
but how may times did you have to pull it apart and repair in this time 2-3 ? it seems like every 1000km- 600miles or so this kit needs a strip down and some type of repairs .

My first repair was at approx 1000km after it got noisy. Ended up being a worn non drive side bearing journal on the rotor. I fixed this with a dab of bearing locking compound on the bearing journal. This was sited as a design issue with an o ring and groove added on later models to correct the problem. I also found 5 loose screws that hold the main gear which were just re tightened at the time.

1000km later, the drive got noisey again. Loose screws holding the gear again being the problem. Loctited them with Blue loctite and continued on with a quiet motor again. Unfortunately they quickly became loose again with the screw holes difficult to clean all the grease out and get a good bond on the mating surfaces. Next time round, I paid greater attention to cleaning out the threads and used a stronger grade of loctite on the screws.

And that was the last of the repairs. These were done about 1500km ago and hasn't missed a beat since. Also pushing 60V through the drive for the last 500km without a problem.

So the only real problem I had was the rotor shaft journal which has since been rectified by Bafang. Since we don't hear of the gear screws coming loose too much, Bafang have obviously sorted this out also.

Combine this with the fact that Bafang have upgraded the controller, and that the main spare parts are now available, I think the drive is now better proposition than ever. :)

Always a pleasure to see you post. Thanks!

This is like going to the butcher to buy a live pig. You've got a second perhaps third generation motor coming from a reputable seller, with stellar support, of a motor with far more successes than failures. As others have pointed out this is a problem thread. Pick your favorite motor vehicle and then go to a repair forum. You'll find the same situation. Relax, it'll be a great runner.

OK, I've been talked off of the ledge. I'm moving forward with BBS02 and battery from Paul. The battery should be pretty sweet - 14S6P 25R cells. Far more current discharge current than this drive requires, but good to have for future applications and longevity.

Oh, and when did you Oregonians turn wuss on winter riding? I'll be out as long as there's no ice, far colder in MN than OR. :wink:

I don't have a problem riding in the cold, but I HATE riding in the rain, particularly at night. Winters are very dark and wet around here.

teslanv said:
I think my controller just crapped out. :cry:
When I turn it on it flashes momentarily and then shuts down.
I have contacted both Paul and LeGrand about getting a replacement. Hoping I can get the new 9FET controller.
Less than 1000 miles on this unit.
I love this drive when it works, but Bafang better step up their game.
[youtube]ucHvGcHRQoQ[/youtube]
LeGrand suggested I check the battery connection. Turns out I had a poor connection somewhere in the line. Wired up a new battery cable and the controller is working like it should. No problem with the controller after all. :oops:

Back