Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Loving the BBS02 (48v 750w).

Covered 500 miles of faultless riding on a Cube road bike.

My only grip is the throttle. The delay when going from PAS to throttle only is far too long, can you reduce or program this out?

My PAS speed is limited to 25 km/h. When my BBS01 is set to 40 km/h max throttle speed, there is no delay as I apply throttle, and the max speed is not limited (not even to 40). If I set the throttle speed to for example 25km/h, there is a delay.

What are your settings when you experience a delay?

please help!!

how to remove both gear? :( sorry my inglish

5054b0d195a6ae37e49a2a6d89c8c036o.jpg

9da67f5e43761882cbe3c6bf5f75ab45o.jpg

pompeimtb said:
please help!!

how to remove both gear? :( sorry my inglish

5054b0d195a6ae37e49a2a6d89c8c036o.jpg

9da67f5e43761882cbe3c6bf5f75ab45o.jpg

You will need special pliers to pull the circlip ring on the Nylon Gear.

To remove the rotor, clamp the helical gear in a vice with wood blocks and pull up on the housing. it should come out with a bit of force.

The fault I reported earlier about the bottom bracket bearing making a clicking sound was wrong. It wasn't coming from the bottom bracket, but from my home made chainwheel. There was slight movement between the parts during high loads. It went away the last time because I fiddled with it. I fixed it now by applying glue in addition to the screws to hold it together, and it's quiet again.

In other words, the Bafang wasn't at fault. :D

Thanks for the report back. Several times this week someone has posted their disgust with their BBS01-2 only to find the problem wasn't the drive. Sh!t happens.

Also, while I was troubleshooting today I disassembled and filled the crank freewheel with grease. As expected, the loud freewheel ticking is now silent again, like when it was new.

My BBS02 750W (manufactured July 2014) has just arrived and I thought being a brushless motor that it would spin easily by hand.
With cranks temporarily fitted this is not the case as I can hear and feel the resistance to my efforts (i.e. it won't spin at all).
Would this suggest a tear down is necessary before installation?

Reflector said:
My BBS02 750W (manufactured July 2014) has just arrived and I thought being a brushless motor that it would spin easily by hand.
With cranks temporarily fitted this is not the case, so would this suggest a tear down is necessary before installation?
Without a chain attached to the Chainring, the BB shaft should freewheel very easily in reverse, without turning the chainring, and fairly easily in forward while turning the chainring. If it doesn't then I think something may be amiss.

There is more resistance than a regular bottom bracket. It will free up a little with use. The bottom bracket bearing pre load can be loosened slightly from the left side, but it'll probably improve in a few miles.

teslanv said:
Without a chain attached to the Chainring, the BB shaft should freewheel very easily in reverse, without turning the chainring, and fairly easily in forward while turning the chainring. If it doesn't then I think something may be amiss.
That's what I thought. In reverse there is still resistance and a ratchet-like sound. The sound in a forward direction is like that of 2 dry hands rubbing together (not good).
It doesn't feel 'notchy' which is what I would expect to feel if a bearing surface was under too much pressure.

Is there a recommended solution which I can follow in one of the threads (I've had a look but can't seem to find anything specifically aimed at a tight drive).
Due to my location, I am going to have to do the work on this myself.
Any ideas?

speedmd said:
Ride it a few miles. You will know if there is a issue then. Mine was tight for the fist few minutes and now almost as free as a normal freewheel. It will never be as free as a normal BB but you will not notice it as draggy after the extra grease runs into place a bit.
I am hesitant to do that as the motor is being installed into a velomobile and access is limited.

sacko said:
Loving the BBS02 (48v 750w).

Covered 500 miles of faultless riding on a Cube road bike.

My only grip is the throttle. The delay when going from PAS to throttle only is far too long, can you reduce or program this out?

Hi, simply sollution - switch in thortle tab to current mode an it wokrs perfect without delay! :)

Thanks for the info.

Unfortuantely I would have to send it all back to the dealer to program, as the software and programming lead isnt available to the general public..

...as far as I am aware?

Thanks, much appreciated :)

I wondered why so many people were after Bafang extension leads!

Just ordered a couple of leads and some USB TTL devices. I've downloaded and installed the Bafang software from the first post on that thread.

beer.gif

Hi guys...
After reading every post in this thread I think I have something interesting for you.
I have the bbs01 250w mid/crank drive installed on a performer trike.
My display will not power up, unless the battery is plugged into the charger.

Once plugged in everything works great.

The battery is charged, well so says the charger that came with.
(Side note here... Multimeter tests shows current leaving battery while unconnected to charger)

The provider has sent a replacement display thinking that might fix it, does same thing.

We are now waiting for a new motor and harness to arrive (was promised this would arrive 2 days ago and is not forthcoming with a tracking number, so I'm not holding my breath I guess...)

Anyway... You guys seem really good at fixing these things... Anyone got any thoughts as to WTF could be going on. This motor was supposed to make my dads new trike easy to ride... Instead he nearly has a heart attack every time he looks at it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Arakasy said:
Hi guys...
After reading every post in this thread I think I have something interesting for you.
I have the bbs01 250w mid/crank drive installed on a performer trike.
My display will not power up, unless the battery is plugged into the charger.

Once plugged in everything works great.

The battery is charged, well so says the charger that came with.
(Side note here... Multimeter tests shows current leaving battery while unconnected to charger)

The provider has sent a replacement display thinking that might fix it, does same thing.

We are now waiting for a new motor and harness to arrive (was promised this would arrive 2 days ago and is not forthcoming with a tracking number, so I'm not holding my breath I guess...)

Anyway... You guys seem really good at fixing these things... Anyone got any thoughts as to WTF could be going on. This motor was supposed to make my dads new trike easy to ride... Instead he nearly has a heart attack every time he looks at it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

That sounds a lot like a bad battery. What kind of battery do you have?

Other possibility is a bad battery connection. I started having intermittent problems where the display (and motor) would just turn off. Then it would not stay turned on for more than a fraction of a second. Turned out to be a poor battery cable/connector. I rewired the battery cables and mine has been working great since.

Ok so...... Replacement motor does same thing. It's gotta be the battery itself. (Another week of transport) still better than some transit times.

Poor dad, he said this right at the beginning of all this, only to be waved of with something about some bs sensor malfunction in the motor casing, now in all of your pulling motor casings apart.... Have you guys ever run across this sensor ? Does it resemble a crystal of kriptonite ? :roll: :lol:

Seems no one in my area sells these battery's... The guy at the battery store was shocked at the use of said charge holder... Li ion or something ?

hello

I have other problem...

I hear a noise in the clutches, I opened the engine and not the engine, the engine is perfectly audible ... I think the problem is the bearings ... I hit on one side and I think the balls are damaged because ear noise at each turn of the pedal. where I can buy or anyone know the measurements of the bearing?

pompeimtb said:
hello

I have other problem...

I hear a noise in the clutches, I opened the engine and not the engine, the engine is perfectly audible ... I think the problem is the bearings ... I hit on one side and I think the balls are damaged because ear noise at each turn of the pedal. where I can buy or anyone know the measurements of the bearing?
It is always helpful in tracking problems to post the serial number and model.

Back