Bafang M500/M600 thread

Finally I received my brandnew m510 .
First ride was successful with 14s2p 400wh battery on 52v

First impression is good. More kick( power ) when you give some strength on the pedals. But my feeling is that you need a bit more force on the pedals before it gives you assist in comparison to the m500

Weight is reduced about 400g
Some holes for the chain holder are different
The crank arms are different ( the m500 arms does not fit)
All other geometry is the same as the m500

Total weight of my bike is now 20,6kg… now I need to find additional 601g :)

905c04e00f6a57310bf1b464f027d214.jpg

fc8c208e33d83846158ced6ee3b7db5b.jpg

16cc473f8841812690b61cfdb6052bd3.jpg

6f6dd6d9c3056987bc1c99b314cf00ea.jpg

612610e9d604dc745e594950d145e0c5.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

mirkoser100 said:

First impression is good. More kick( power ) when you give some strength on the pedals. But my feeling is that you need a bit more force on the pedals before it gives you assist in comparison to the m500

Total weight of my bike is now 20,6kg… now I need to find additional 601g :)
Thanks for sharing!!

Would be nice if you could take pictures of the motor controller so we could if is the same as M500.

400Wh battery is not that big. I wish to have a battery of 250Wh, that I think would work for me for a ride of 2h30. And have a second battery of 500wh, that is big enough for the big rides I do on the mountains.

And we really need our own motor OpenSource to fine-tune the amount of force in the pedals / assist levels curves.

Has anyone thought to ask Bafang through their public contact forms if they will develop an app to configure Torque support like the big manufacturers? If we all email them they might make the effort to provide this feature.
They already have the Bafang Go App, and the interface is there it wouldn't bee too much development

mirkoser100 said:

Weight is reduced about 400g
Some holes for the chain holder are different
The crank arms are different ( the m500 arms does not fit)
All other geometry is the same as the m500

Total weight of my bike is now 20,6kg… now I need to find additional 601g :

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Which soft rev is installed on your motor (it seem exist several) ?

does crank arms are on normalized ISIS standard ?

Animalector said:
Has anyone thought to ask Bafang through their public contact forms if they will develop an app to configure Torque support like the big manufacturers? If we all email them they might make the effort to provide this feature.
They already have the Bafang Go App, and the interface is there it wouldn't bee too much development

At last request (may be changed now ?) bafang refuse to speak with final customers (understandable). but they don't have difficult to develop customize soft for sub-supplier. the best way i think is to find agrement btween users on the expect (hard job) and perform the same request to an dealer before purchase (not a lot for the moment)

CiDi said:
For the various voltages, only the firmware changes.
You can also safely use 48V battery on 43V firmware, you will only have the wrong % indication and the battery will shut down at 36V instead of 41V.

And what is also good with this solution, you should have more power +11%. 18A vs 20A

patdam said:
Animalector said:

At last request (may be changed now ?) bafang refuse to speak with final customers (understandable). but they don't have difficult to develop customize soft for sub-supplier. the best way i think is to find agrement btween users on the expect (hard job) and perform the same request to an dealer before purchase (not a lot for the moment)

Good points. It was my understanding the motor firmware / adjustments were almost purposefully 'locked down' to prevent this type of adjustments by 'end users'.

4πr^2 said:
Good points. It was my understanding the motor firmware / adjustments were almost purposefully 'locked down' to prevent this type of adjustments by 'end users'.

Nope, most of the big manufacturers now have custom settings off an App or PC. Heres the Fazua one I use, the only limitations are speed and max power.

Attachments

• Fazua cutom screenshot.jpg
    Fazua cutom screenshot.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,104
To test receiving the CAN data from my M500 motor, I connected the EasyDIY display NRF52 board to the CAN module board, as seen on the picture. Then I connected the 2 wires CAN_H and CAN_L to the motor connector for the brakes. As soon I turned on the display, I received the following CAN data -- wheel speed limit of 60 km/h and wheel perimeter of 2.199m (27.5 inches MTB wheel):

I am using the JLink (that is not visible and is connected to my PC by USB) to flash the firmware on the NRF52 board. It also provides the power to this board, including the CAN module board. And then the CAN 2 wires from the Higo-B6-female cable connected on the motor brake connector:

CiDi said:
Tomblarom said:
CiDi said:
Pins of the throttle?

Remade the image in correct orientation and added throttle, brake and pin-numbers.
Qw2MRRG.jpg

Here is the corrected wiring diagram. Should be final, right? Not sure about 2x VCC. Attached the .fzz (Fritzing file)
ZHvJSBr.png

Are you sure there is a brake connector option?
The brake connector is on another cable.
I know there is a front light connector option.
Good morning cidi, good morning everyone. In these days I resumed reading and I was struck by what has been done, congratulations to all. I wanted to ask a question, To mount an accelerator just send a variable voltage 1\3 volt in the pin zb (1 ~ Throttle)?

I now have the EasyDIY display prototype working with Bafang M500/M600 motors. Right now it shows the data that is available on the CAN - some of that data is not shown on the original display, as the battery voltage or motor temperature.

See the video where I shown and explain what is working for now:

[youtube]6Nxme5Gt-_c[/youtube]

Nice to see the display coming along! Appreciate the video to show more detail.

I've been playing around with getting some of the VESC components laid out on the 500/600 shaped board. Would have some way to go to have something functioning, but at least things generally fit!

Attachments

• test board render.jpg
    test board render.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 988
4πr^2 said:
Nice to see the display coming along! Appreciate the video to show more detail.

I've been playing around with getting some of the VESC components laid out on the 500/600 shaped board. Would have some way to go to have something functioning, but at least things generally fit!
So are you able to fully desing the board????

But VESC hardware only works up to 44V battery, right? Because I wish to run 48V and 52V battery.

Nice going guys. On the DP241 screen there are a number of fields that can be displayed in the lower line. Voltage Amps and Watts and some others. For those like me who need reading glasses they are just a blur. If only Bafang had allowed those same fields to be displayed in the main centre line of the display.

If and when you get around to finalising the wiring circuit could you please consider those who would prefer all the benefits of the Can comms to Ant to Garmin display. I’m not sure a smaller display is going to help me much visually where as my Garmin Edge Explore has everything I want in nice big numbers.

Thanks for all you time guys and I really really regret not being the generation of being taught to program at school.

Waynemarlow said:
Nice going guys. On the DP241 screen there are a number of fields that can be displayed in the lower line. Voltage Amps and Watts and some others.
On my DP241 I can not see the voltage or watts, only current. Or am I missing something?

Waynemarlow said:
If and when you get around to finalising the wiring circuit could you please consider those who would prefer all the benefits of the Can comms to Ant to Garmin display. I’m not sure a smaller display is going to help me much visually where as my Garmin Edge Explore has everything I want in nice big numbers.
This display is tiny, the idea is always use a Garmin Edge if you want to see the data while riding. And if you plan to use the Garmin Edge, then you will want this display as it also implements also the ANT+ CONTROLS to change the Garmin page.

My priority is to use Garmin Edge, so I will keep the display as it is. Still, for having a version with ANT+ LEV EBike only, the display and the remote buttons would not be assembled. On the firmware side, I think should be easy (but will give some work) to make the firmware work without existing remote buttons and display. Well, this is not a priority for me but I hope other developers can help implement this.

Pretty sure without going out and starting up the display, if you push the centre button, it scrolls through the available fields. By memory I think also there is a programming setting which displays other fields to be displayed in the top fieldd. I'm pretty sure mine is set at volts but I would have to check.

Waynemarlow said:
Pretty sure without going out and starting up the display, if you push the centre button, it scrolls through the available fields. By memory I think also there is a programming setting which displays other fields to be displayed in the top fieldd. I'm pretty sure mine is set at volts but I would have to check.
Looking at DP C241 manual, it does not show the battery voltage nor the battery current, while this data is available on the CAN messages.

casainho said:
I now have the EasyDIY display prototype working with Bafang M500/M600 motors. Right now it shows the data that is available on the CAN - some of that data is not shown on the original display, as the battery voltage or motor temperature.

Awesome!

Is it possible to wire in and use the DP C240/241 display rather than buying another display?

NoFanBoiz said:
casainho said:

Awesome!

Is it possible to wire in and use the DP C240/241 display rather than buying another display?
The plan is to trash the original display and use this more advanced one.

casainho said:
NoFanBoiz said:
casainho said:

Awesome!

The plan is to trash the original display and use this more advanced one.

Thank you for your quick response.

Just asking as being able to use the existing screen and case would be eco friendly.

I keep visiting this topic numerous times a day as it's quite exciting watching your progress.

casainho said:
So are you able to fully desing the board????
Oh, probably so - given enough time and effort. The main hurdle will be integrating the VESC controller hardware with the bafang motor hardware. Luckily some of that has been done already.

But VESC hardware only works up to 44V battery, right? Because I wish to run 48V and 52V battery.

That is mainly just a matter of the components the board is built from. I don't know that I've seen a 44V limit, but the earlier VESC models used a monolithic gate driver IC with many built in functions...current limiting, fault detection, etc. This IC was limited to 60V max and had to sample battery voltage for some of the functions.

This board is more based on a VESC 6 design which uses 3x individual gate driver ICs, they only need to be tied to a 12-18 volt power rail. So as long as other components - mosfets, capacitors, SMPS power supplies, etc are high voltage tolerant, the input could be whatever is needed. 80-100V is the target, to allow comfortable use of a 72V battery.

NoFanBoiz said:
Just asking as being able to use the existing screen and case would be eco friendly.
The original display screen was not built to be reused. On contrary, the EasyDIY display is very popular on DIY Arduino world, it is very easy to reuse.

4πr^2 said:
This board is more based on a VESC 6 design which uses 3x individual gate driver ICs, they only need to be tied to a 12-18 volt power rail. So as long as other components - mosfets, capacitors, SMPS power supplies, etc are high voltage tolerant, the input could be whatever is needed. 80-100V is the target, to allow comfortable use of a 72V battery.
Would you care to make the board as DIY as possible for home manual assembly??

For instance, on EasyDIY ESC we use SMPS modules, so it is easy to test them outside before assembly them on the board. Also much more easy to replace it the case of repair.

We use the popular SMT32F103 microcontroller and our firmware works well on a Xiaomi M365 escooter. In fact, the schematic is the same as the one on original M365 motor controller, the same 3x individual gate drivers, etc.

This is our current board, with 0805 components for DIY soldering. On this pictures, the board was not yet fully assembled.

That board has a similar area as the M500/M600 motor controller, but much thicker (as much as the big capacitors like on the M500/M600 motor controller).
There are 2 DC-DCs, one on top of the other.

NoFanBoiz said:
Awesome!

I would say yes it can be done using most of the circuit Casainho has designed and hence my query to him this morning. My gut instinct is saying C241 display as normal, Casainho's module less screen and keypad, connected to the brake port probably hidden within the frame somewhere, feeding CAN / ANT signals to the Garmin Edge.

The C241 is actually quite a good display, its small and sits under and beneath the bar where its relatively safe, its just too small for anyone with long sighted eyes like mine. The Garmin Edge however can then be used both for Nav, stats, and EBike motor read outs.

I'm not sure the replacement of quite a good display with an even smaller display is that practical other than to see through an original design, sorry Casainho you could save yourself a lot of time and get more riding time if you go down this route. Sometimes in good design its not worthy to redesign the wheel :D

Waynemarlow said:
NoFanBoiz said:
Awesome!

I would say yes it can be done using most of the circuit Casainho has designed and hence my query to him this morning. My gut instinct is saying C241 display as normal, Casainho's module less screen and keypad, connected to the brake port probably hidden within the frame somewhere, feeding CAN / ANT signals to the Garmin Edge.

The C241 is actually quite a good display, its small and sits under and beneath the bar where its relatively safe, its just too small for anyone with long sighted eyes like mine. The Garmin Edge however can then be used both for Nav, stats, and EBike motor read outs.

I'm not sure the replacement of quite a good display with an even smaller display is that practical other than to see through an original design, sorry Casainho you could save yourself a lot of time and get more riding time if you go down this route. Sometimes in good design its not worthy to redesign the wheel :D
I do not see any advantage on keep using the original display as I do not plan to use it / read information on it. This EasyDIY display, I already use on my EBike with TSDZ2 motor, so I will replicate everything, I just need to implement the differences that are mainly the CAN communication, that is already done.

I will be fully using my Garmin Edge at center and in front on my handlebar like this:

And using the Garmin Edge, having this display remote 4th button to do the Garmin Edge change page, it's a must have!!

And I want this display to be small as possible, so when not using the Garmin Edge, I will have a clean handlebar as if I do not have an Ebike. But the tiny display must be there for me to check the battery SOC, etc while I am stoppeod.

The Garmin Edge is very popular on no electric cyclists. Using it on a EBike and have a tiny discrete display is my target, to keep my EBike clean and with a look as similar possible a no EBike.
I am also looking for a small and lighter motor, as also battery.

Back