Bafang M500/M600 thread

little test with BLE transmission....
The NRF52850 works like the ESP32
vpg6.jpg

SUPERJC said:
little test with BLE transmission....
The NRF52850 works like the ESP32
vpg6.jpg
Yes sure. You are using a Bafang motor without torque sensor, but this M500/M600 send the pedal power and pedal cadence value every 10ms, so we can calculate the power and then send the pedal power meter to the Garmin Edge (on ANT+ and Bluetooth).

A good pedal power meter costs like 900€ at least!! So, if we can calculate the human pedal power and send it, then the value we take out the motor, will be much more!!

Yes a Power Meter would be handy at times, not sure how accurate they are at times, certainly the TSDZ2 one we had was always I thought on the " favourable " side.

Lets get the full display and Garmin connection working and then perhaps we could develop a simple " transmitter " type. I'm not to worried about the 4th button as the Edge I have it's a simple swipe left or right brings the next page up. I'm not sure all the Edge's are like this though.

Keep it going and lets see where it ends up.

Waynemarlow said:
Yes a Power Meter would be handy at times, not sure how accurate they are at times, certainly the TSDZ2 one we had was always I thought on the " favourable " side.

Lets get the full display and Garmin connection working and then perhaps we could develop a simple " transmitter " type. I'm not to worried about the 4th button as the Edge I have it's a simple swipe left or right brings the next page up. I'm not sure all the Edge's are like this though.

Keep it going and lets see where it ends up.
My expectation is that this M500/M600 torque sensors are way better than TSDZ2, at least looking at their construction.

The page swipe on my Edge, if I need to do it manually, means I need to remove the hand from the grip which I feel dangerous to fall unless I am mostly stopped. With the 4th button is just like increase or decrease the motor assistance, using finger thumb only and way more safe.

Next would be nice to show on the display the torque sensor force, so users could check with known weights on the pedals, if the this torque sensors need some calibration or if they always give the correct value of torque / weight on the pedals.

Today I merged the EasyDIY display firmware for Bafang and TSDZ2 motors, meaning it is a only one display for both motors and I had the care to use the same schematic and pins as possible. On the firmware side is the same, try to make it the most common possible between this motors.

casainho said:
The page swipe on my Edge, if I need to do it manually, means I need to remove the hand from the grip which I feel dangerous to fall unless I am mostly stopped. With the 4th button is just like increase or decrease the motor assistance, using finger thumb only and way more safe.
Good riding technique will always allow a hand to come off a bar. It feels a bit weird the first few times you do it, but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. Is there really a need for a 4th button on that basis ?

Here the software version of my m510

50bc37aa590a6ee44a6ee15f1a5a4ad3.jpg

I‘m not sure if this is the newest version?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Waynemarlow said:
casainho said:
Good riding technique will always allow a hand to come off a bar. It feels a bit weird the first few times you do it, but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. Is there really a need for a 4th button on that basis ?
The 4th button is a dedicated button, meaning if you do not want to use the page change of Garmin, then you can decide to use other remote with 3 buttons only, that are more common in the market.

My favorite 3 buttons is the 850C display remote and 4 buttons from the 860C display remote. Both remotes only can be bought on Ebay or AliExpress.

Waynemarlow said:
casainho said:
I really think it is dangerous to change the page on Garmin while riding, because:
1. my device is the GPS display Edge 830, touch screen only
2. to change the page, it is not a simple click on a button, it is instead a page swipe on the touch screen so it needs a good amount of precision to do it
3. I usually wear gloves that do not work with touch screen

The page change is so relevant that Garmin sells the wireless Edge remote control for 60€:

I know Garmin also does an EBike specific wireless keypad

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Garmin-Edge-Cycling-GPS-Handlebar-Remote-for-eBike_203890.htm?source=aw&awc=6821_1650304654_eff397139bdef4bec52e5e4726d0b45e&utm_source=aw&utm_medium=648417

But can one do both jobs ?

Simply select 1 of the 3 buttons on the circular top face to raise or lower the current assistance level, scroll through your Edge cycling computer data screens or engage a customized third option, all using ANT+ wireless connectivity

Hagbard said:
Out of interest, which Garmin computer are you guys using?
Edge 530 / 830 / 1030, are the ones that support natively ANT wireless EBike.
I use for the 830.

Waynemarlow said:
I know Garmin also does an EBike specific wireless keypad

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Garmin-Edge-Cycling-GPS-Handlebar-Remote-for-eBike_203890.htm?source=aw&awc=6821_1650304654_eff397139bdef4bec52e5e4726d0b45e&utm_source=aw&utm_medium=648417

But can one do both jobs ?

Simply select 1 of the 3 buttons on the circular top face to raise or lower the current assistance level, scroll through your Edge cycling computer data screens or engage a customized third option, all using ANT+ wireless connectivity
That was my idea of EBike fully wireless remote with wired connection for the brake sensors. No display, only 3 buttons and a RGB LED. The only feedback users could get was a LED blinking when pressing the buttons, the LED could not be ON to save the coin cell battery. It was very frustrating to not be able to see the battery state of charge, very frustrating the lack of a display.

So, the EasyDIY display is the continuation of that project. This time with a small 1.3 inches (or a tiny 0.96 inches) display and with wires.

Some pictures EBike fully wireless remote:

So I did the new design for the wireless remote. I like a lot the 850C keypad, it is easy to click on each button without error of clicking on any other, has good tactile and audible feedback, as also the right size (not to small and not to big).

The 3D printed enclosure is glued to the 850C remote and is very solid.

I don't think is possible to make it smaller. Although the battery may work for 1.5 years, I wish in a future version to add 4 small screws and a back cover so battery can be easily changed as it is now, probably we need to trash the 3D printed enclosured.

Here is the final result:

Before applying the white silicone, to make the box water prof:

And all the wiring done: 2 wires for battery; 2 wires for the brake sensor; 4 wires for the 850C remote:

And note that the white button is still clickable under the black box, as the box was designed to be thin under the button:

casainho said:
It was very frustrating to not be able to see the battery state of charge, very frustrating the lack of a display.
Casainho, I thought we went down the wireless remote route on the TSDZ2 as at that point there was a call for a totally display free handlebar setup ? That was a couple of years back and with the likes of the Garmin wireless remote now available, the manufacturers have filled that need as they tend to do.

I'm all for you continuing down the development route you are going, don't get me wrong, just I feel you can get exactly the same result at way less Casainho hours of development, by simply utilising what is already available. A simple plug in Bafang BT to ANT broadcast and receiver, read by either a Garmin or phone App, would speed the whole process of development up and reduce your development time. Yes a lot of your LCD development and wireless remote time will be negated but hey that is development on the leading edge ( of which we are very thankful for as you have given a lot of users a lot of extra fun out of the TSDZ2 engines ). I too have seen years of development totally made redundant in just a few months, its not a great feeling, but thats life at the front line of development.

As a user of the Fazua system which has no display, just 5 LEDs ( tri colour ) and my Garmin, I'm not sure we need anything more as a display for the Bafang. The C241 I have is virtually useless to me as I cannot read the lower display line and yet I can read the LEDs at a quick glance giving me battery state and which level I'm in. Any further detail I just read the Garmin which I have mounted on the stem.

Enough said by me on this, lets keep the development going and see where we end up. Thank you, on behalf of those who cannot really contribute at the sharp end, to all who contribute to the development of what is a very good motor.

in fact the one-push offroad mode is a juicy feature. I would have to have a restricted bike just after turn on (always restricted on turn on) if someone want to check it, with a button that i need to push, and will enable throttle and change max speed from 25 to 60

All other i have already achieved on stock - extra power (by upgrading controller to m600), a lot of suitable firmwares to pick.

Waynemarlow said:
As a user of the Fazua system which has no display, just 5 LEDs ( tri colour ) and my Garmin, I'm not sure we need anything more as a display for the Bafang. The C241 I have is virtually useless to me as I cannot read the lower display line and yet I can read the LEDs at a quick glance giving me battery state and which level I'm in. Any further detail I just read the Garmin which I have mounted on the stem.
Good to know that you have an EBike without display and that depends on Garmin GPS and Bluetooth custom app for Garmin GPS.

Considering I wish to have my EBike with Bafang M500 in a similar way of your Fazua, for me the display is a must:
1. I may ride sometimes without the Garmin display, and the EasyDIY display will be very useful on this situations, like I can see the battery SOC, etc.
2. There are VERY IMPORTANT for me specific motor and battery data that is not supported by the ANT+ LEV Ebike, and this data I will then be able to see it on the EasyDIY display
3. There are configurations that I can not do with the ANT+ LEV Ebike, but I will be able to do with the EasyDIY display, while I ride, without the need to carry with me a computer

A small cooperation with GreenBikeKit, a discount code for the developers:

Discount code for developers
GreenBikeKit sells Bafang M500 and M600 motor kits, including the parts you may need to for maintenance and repair. If you are a developer of https://github.com/OpenSourceEBike/Bafang_M500_M600, ask for the discount code on the Telegram channel for development.

My working prototype of EasyDIY display, connected to the display port of my Bafang M500 motor:

[youtube]pxSqZEbUTZ4[/youtube]

And the updated shcematic:

I changed the resistors values for more common values and better detection of ON_OFF button press. I also had to change the pin connection to NRF52 of ON_OFF button, for a pin that has ADC reading.

My next steps are to improve the firmware, mainly to update the configurations menu for this Bafang motor configurations, as what is seen on the video are the configurations for TSDZ2.

Since the hardware is now stable, I will also start building the final version that I will install on my EBike, while I will keep this prototype as seen on the video, to do the development.

Started to implement the configurations.

The torque sensor value of my motor at rest, is 750. I wounder how the torque sensor value increases when we apply 10, 30 or 80 kgs weight on the pedals...!!!

Once I have the motor installed on my EBike, I will be able to test and see if the torque sensor output is linear to the weight increase on the pedals.

I was able to check the Cadence value and seems to work well:

Here is our OpenSource EasyDIY display changing the Bafang M500 max speed up to 60km/h, effectively unlocking the motor max speed of 25km/h!!

Using this display, the user can ride on the street keeping the 25km/h limit and when going offroad, quickly increase the speed limit up to 60km/h.

[youtube]PQ6YQrqAuaA[/youtube]

Hi all,

Hoping someone here has had the same issue and somehow resolved the problem.
I updated the firmware on my m500 with FW sent from bafang. Tested after update for a few minutes and all good.
This morning I went to go for a proper ride and I could not turn on the bike. All plugs checked etc.
Plugged the bike back into the besst tool and it powered up. Everything works as normal but cannot re flash back to standard as the bike turns off when unplugging.

Then I pulled the motor out and plugged in my old motor (failed torque sensor) and I could turn it on and scroll through power levels and menu.
I also tried swapping old controller onto new motor. The motor still does not power up.
Does anyone know what it could be?

Cheers!

Our EasyDIY display is ready to be used. The main advantages over original display are:
- change quickly the motor max speed while you are riding!!
- shows your battery voltage, battery current, battery power, pedal candence and weight on the pedals
- calculates and show to you your battery resistance
- show a more precise battery SOC based on Coloumb counting technique (uses the battery resistance value as also your battery capacity in Wh)
- implements ANT+ LEV wireless EBike standard

This is the final schematic:

Latest video of the working prototype:
[youtube]Qjkh-TY0bq4[/youtube]

Hello all,
I have acquired a UART m620 with my voltbike yukon core, but upon reading its configuration with the bafang usb programming cable and software, I see the current max is 25A at 48v. Most m620s I see have a limit of 30A, so is there any way for me to unlock that 30 amps? Attempting to set the current limit above 25A results in an error. Does this mean I will have to do some shunt resistor shenanigans or is there another way for me to unlock 30A?

I've never posted on this forum before so hopefully this is the proper way to do it, thank you!

I have also uploaded a "screenshot" from the software.

Attachments

• controller.png
    controller.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 598
Looking really good Caisanho, it always staggers me just how fast you can develop this sort of thing.

A question, have you thought of splitting the display from the other components, just linking the display by a small 6 wire harness to the other components. This way you could have the large components tucked away inside the battery compartment of the bike and just the display mounted on the bars or more centrally on say the frame ?

Back