Bafang rear geared brushless test

The motor is a front mount on a 26" (rear is 27"). Bike is 30lb + 6lb motor + 15lb battery + ~10lb for controller and panniers (total about 60lb) and I am ~150lb , so a total of around 210lb combined. I race cat3 here in norcal, and am in very good shape. (Hope for cat2 next year!)

I am very careful to be gentle on the throttle, so I hope all goes well.

Nog

Still going strong and I passed the 2,100 mile mark today. I've been running 80v for several weeks, and nylon gears are holding.
As mentioned before, I like the freewheeling motor a lot and serves me well. The steel gears are being delivered thursday, and I'll switch to
80v NimH for good after installing them. Overall, a brilliant motor!

Nog

Awesome!
My observations about metal gear?
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8428#p128322

Very informative thread on just the information I was looking for. Looking forward to an light weight pedal assist approach with this motor. I see that price info can had by a PM to Knuckles, will have to try that.

Best of luck to all

Just did a short road test (40F and 25 mph winds. Yuk!) but the steel gear still is quiet. I need to try the Nye Damping grease sample that I got but I hardly notice the difference from the 3 Nylon gears. Great little motor!
otherDoc

Got several hundred miles on the new steel gear, and I will say the steel gears at >20mph are quite a bit louder. I never heard the nylon much, but with steel now, I get looks now from people. Looks like I will revert back to nylon as I ride in a dense cycling comunity, and I hate those looks I get when I pass people. Anyway, I'll buy more nylon gears, but still run at 72V since it's what's needed for 30mph+

edit * I use one steel and two nylon gears

Nog

Hey Nogwin! I'm afraid that 3 steel straight cut gears are gunna be noisy no matter what. It.s the law! Composite or better Nylon in the future, maybe? Good luck with your project.
otherDoc

hey Doc, how is the 1steel gear bafang compared to P2-A? My 36v20A P2-A made just about identical sound to Docabss'es 72v(?) lots of amps X5 Clyte. Basically a murring sound until you get upto a certain speed where other bike noises like tires and wind become louder.

Nogwin said:
Got several hundred miles on the new steel gear, and I will say the steel gears at >20mph are quite a bit louder. I never heard the nylon much, but with steel now, I get looks now from people. Looks like I will revert back to nylon as I ride in a dense cycling comunity, and I hate those looks I get when I pass people. Anyway, I'll buy more nylon gears, but still run at 72V since it's what's needed for 30mph+

edit * I use one steel and two nylon gears

Nog

Yes, try one metal gear instead of 3.

Hey Mathurin! I really loved my P2A. Helical gears (one steel and 2 Nylon) but it was the bearings in the steel one which failed. I have all the rebuild parts and someday.............! I think the P2A was slightly quieter, but not by much. Much better quality gearing, but at 10:1 it was slower with more torque than the Bafang. I got close to 3000 miles on P2A before it failed! I really dont know how it would handle 48 volts of Ping power, though?
otherDoc

Back