Baserunner z9 max battery amps

Hello all.
I'm going to try to keep this short and sweet.
I have a grin tech baserunner z9 controller with listed specifications of 55a max for phase current and 30a max for battery current.

Now when connected to the controller with the phaserunner suite the max for phase current is capped at 55a like the specs it the battery current can be put up to 55a as well.
I just put two packs in parallel so I was going to max it to 30a and noticed it didn't stop until it hit 55.

I went for a short ride with it set at 40a battery current and 2000w and it ran fine. I emailed grin and I'm waiting to hear back. In my head they wouldn't allow you to put it that high if it was damaging but I want to play it safe.

So I suppose my question would be would it be damaging to the controller to go above that supposed 30a max?

I don't know for sure if the PR setup suite (that is also used for all the *runners) limits itself automatically to the capabilities of the attached hardware, or if it's able to set anything up to the full 90A that the Phaserunner itself can do (I only have the PR6 so I can't test this).

If it doesn't detect or "know" what a controller it's programming can actually be set to safely, then it will allow currents or other settings beyond what a controller is safe to use with. :(

So I'd wait for Grin to answer to be certain.

The BR should have a temperature sensor--what does it report reaching? If it stays cool under worst-case conditions, it might be ok. If it gets hot, I'd turn it down.

I don't recall if the BR can have a heatsink mounted to it, but if it can, it would help with heat management.

Grins description of the Z910 motor plug lists the max current of 30-40 amps. Would be curious to know if this info is current information, though. Maybe they have a different answer. I'd be interested to know as well. I was looking at the same controller and running it headless. It would fit much better than the one I have now.

This version of the BR specs for phase current continuous is 30A, just higher peak (a few seconds probably); I dont know if that's because of the connector/cabling, or the actual BR design/parts.

I was told by grin that it would be no problem running at it's full capabilities and that it will thermal throttle itself down when needed. After some research I seen the phaserunner is even listed as 40a max battery current but can be turned up to 96a. Same with my baserunner as it's listed as having a max of 30a but is programmable to 55a battery current so the software does actually read what specific device is connected and caps values because of it.

The controller is mounted on downtube shaft in between frame and a scrape guard with the heatsink facing out so as I ride it gets fresh air constantly. I've been running at 30a of battery current for a bit now and the controller wouldn't even get warm so should be in a healthy acceptable range to turn it up. My systems runs at it's peak of 55 phase amps very regularly and only seems to thermal throttle if the ambient temp is quite hot like 85° and up.

I think the 30a continuous 55a max phase current is due to the pin size in the motor cable as well as the size of the phase wires. I imagine it all depends on many factors because I've been running it at this level for a while now and with no problems.

However I've heard of people having problems with similar values or even less on these low power connectors. Seems like one 9 pin julet can handle 60a of phase all day and another so called 9 pin julet cable can only handle let's say 40a before causing problems.

Regarding the 30 to 40 amp max they list I'm not sure because with this motor and controller if i load a grin profile it has a stock input of 55a phase current for my little sx2 motor.

If you check the z9 adapter for the PR it says to limit it to a max of 50a.
So I'm not sure where they get that 30 to 40a listing. I imagine it's probably just old and it was a lower value to play it safe at that time it was written.

I have a grin tech baserunner z9 controller with listed specifications of 55a max for phase current and 30a max for battery current.

Now when connected to the controller with the phaserunner suite the max for phase current is capped at 55a like the specs it the battery current can be put up to 55a as well.
I just put two packs in parallel so I was going to max it to 30a and noticed it didn't stop until it hit 55.

BR Z9 user manual (last page) mentions peak phase & battery current as 55A, right?

So I suppose my question would be would it be damaging to the controller to go above that supposed 30a max?

Though not familiar with BR, normally controller (FET) heating depends only on the phase current, so it should not be damaging to the controller

PS: But connector damage cannot be ruled out if went beyond it's rated

Last edited:
Yeah that was my understanding as far as what causes heating and damage just wanted to play it safe. As far as the controller specs when you are on ebikes.ca shopping to buy the BR Z9 it lists it as 30a max battery. I do recall seeing that 55a battery max in the manual but I suppose I thought it was a typo or something at that time. Thank you all for your input!

Back