batteries with screw terminals?

Lowe's 750 watt bangfest mid drive has an internal controller Sleek looks. I don't know how many apps you can put through a bang Fest but they do have kids with external controller or maybe get up our velocity Bluetooth controller 12 fat and control your controller instead of letting the controller control the battery. Talk to text so you might have to Sling It Out.

999zip999 said:
Lowe's 750 watt bangfest mid drive has an internal controller Sleek looks. I don't know how many apps you can put through a bang Fest but they do have kids with external controller or maybe get up our velocity Bluetooth controller 12 fat and control your controller instead of letting the controller control the battery. Talk to text so you might have to Sling It Out.
999zip999,

Please shoot the talk2text robot there, he's deranged, poor thing. :mrgreen:

Lowe's does not seem to have Bafang kits. I would not trust a motor with the controller inside, anyway; the heat seems very likely to cause problems. Any separate standard controller that works will be fine here. I really want to avoid Bluetooth anythings, I get too much RF already, to suit me.

Problem is, the suppliers I used don't carry them anymore, they are history for ebikes, mostly you'll find them in larger EVs which this forum doesn't have much of. The cylindrical cells I had were Headways (didn't recall that when writing the previous), I still have a few for 12V applications, they would never go on my ebikes now. They are heavy, large, costly and didn't handle much current, and we had at least one burst into flames here on ES. Serviceability is nice, but better to make sub-packs of 18650's like Justin did rather than accessibility for every cell. Then if a sub-pack gets a bad cell swap it out, and you can service the welded cell sub pack if you want to. But if good cells are matched before connection they generally live or die together. Single cells randomly failing is not the usual problem. what you read about is the exception, no one is writing about the majority of packs that never do anything interesting except work. Ebikes are very sensitive to pack size and weight, the smaller and lighter the better the experience. Many or most of the pack failures you read about are made from low quality cells, don't do that and the reasons for making them readily serviceable are vastly reduced. Time and again I see folks building packs from sketchy cells, trying to save a buck and getting burned.

It is your choice how to proceed, but the ebike market has moved on from the product type you are trying to use. It was popular 10 years ago.
I realize this is an old comment, but I've just replaced my ebike's battery pack with 32650 LiFePO4 cells with screw terminals.
They are CHEAP AND MASSIVELY AVAILABLE. Any difference in weight due to screw terminals is NOT an issue by any consideration.
The higher capacity of the large cells means far fewer cells are required to put a battery pack together. Save a LOT of time.
Unfortunately, I can't find anyone who sells screw-terminal outfitted standard Li-Ion cylindrical form factor cells in any size, even the larger sizes like 32650, so going with LiFePO4 cells meant also buying an additional charger. The terminals make it SO much easier to assemble a new pack with excellent connections in minutes instead of hours.

Last edited:
Back