Battery bag for top tube

YonathanZ

10 mW
Hi,

I bought my ebike two months ago. The battery is stored in a saddle bag, and the battery tore through the bag slightly, so it's only a matter of time before it just falls through (probably mid-drive).
Since the motor is in the rear wheel, I want to place the battery on the top tube near the front wheel (it's a folding, 20" wheel frame, like a Tern or a Dahon), for balance. Also, I'm tired of carrying the entire seatpost+saddle+battery whenever I lock the bike. It's just too big and bulky, and looks ridiculous.

So I need a bag for the front tube that's large enough for a battery that is 22x12x8.5 cm. I couldn't find anything that big, unfortunately... Eventually, I'd like it to look kinda like the way BionX batteries are mounted on the top tube. (see here: http://tinyurl.com/nsk2nw6)

Let me know if you find such a bag/battery box.

Thanks!

cwah said:
Normal bottle battery should fit isn't it?
I already have a battery, I only need a case. Does anyone sell a bottle battery case? And if yes, how do I connect it to the battery (these batteries seem to have their own connectors built in).?

Bags can wear quick and don't protect your batteries well. If you can find some kind of plastic box or make your own with a heat gun and some ABS sheet you can secure the box to your bike instead of the bag. Just slot the box on the bottom and use straps or clamps to secure it. The bag will no longer have to take the abuse and just be for looks on the outside of the box. You can google bottle batts and wade through the information if you would prefer.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bottle%20battery%20http%3A%2F%2Fendless-sphere.com%2F

Hi,

I have a 20" folding ebike. Originally, the battery was in a bag attached to the seatpost, but I'd like to attach it to the top tube of the bike but don't know how.
The battery is 10.5x21x7 cm. I still have the bag it came in, in which it fits almost perfectly, but if I attach it with 2 velcros and one buckle than it's a hassle to remove it whenever I lock the bike. Is there a more elegant solution out there?

Here's the bike as it was originally (with the battery bag attached to the seatpost):
DSC_0380-Small.jpg

I'd love to hear some suggestions. I wish there was a BionX-battery look-alike cover + mount to buy. I love the way the battery is mounted on this Dahon Formula ebike:
dahon-formula-e18-electric-bike-review-670x270.jpg

YOu might check out the "show us your homemade battery housing" thread, and the "your creation's before and after pics" thread, for a "few" ideas. :)

amberwolf said:
YOu might check out the "show us your homemade battery housing" thread, and the "your creation's before and after pics" thread, for a "few" ideas. :)
I did, but no one uses a 20 inch bike. Not to mention mine doesn't have a triangle frame, so I can only use the top tube. I have a bag for the battery, I just need to secure it to the frame in a way that allows removing it when I lock the bike.

How my folder carries battery packs of late:
IMG_3737.JPG
These are HK RC Lipo hardcase but the "saddlebag" principle may work with other shapes/sizes. My feet clear while pedaling and it's easy to remove when I wanna take the pack with me.

If that's your bike in the top photo, maybe try hanging it below the top tube?

I'm currently using a bottle mount type battery on the main tube section on a similar style folder using the Mbolts and some spacers. Almost, the same position as the Dahon you pictured.
frame%20pack-6-500x500.jpg

My folder has an head tube attachment for front accessories (baskets, bags, etc.). I modified it to accept a Brompton attachment plate for their accessories. The Brompton plate is a very hard plastic resin and is one of the best front bag solutions I've seen. I had to re drill the mounting holes, and shave some material to make it fit, then applied JBweld bonding the head tube to the plate. I can carry groceries (talking heavy milk & meat stuff) in the front, no worries. I put a ~15 lbs 36v 20Ah battery in that bag too.

Another solution could be a tube pannier setup. Don't use large panniers, they may produce leg strike. The small or medium variety should do. Probably can't use your current battery in this bag. But folks are able to make their own RC packs work with them. :idea:
http://www.ibera.info/products_list.php?cID=5

There's no place to mount a bottle on my bike, and I don't have a bottle battery anyway. I just bought my bike 2 months ago so I'm stuck with this battery for the time being. Pannier bags don't help either.
Melodious, how long is the space between the screen for that bottle battery mount? And how big is that bottle? Can I fit a 36v 10ah battery in it?

I have standard bottle mounting attachments on the top of the frame. Nothing special, but my bike has them, where yours doesn't. Surprised it doesn't, as its a common area to put them. Your battery probably has no mount to attach to besides the seatpost bag. And these bottle mount batteries come in various configurations: 36v 10-16Ah & 48v 8-12ishAh.

I'd live with your current setup. Eventually, you'll think of something to make battery removal easier.

YonathanZ said:
There's no place to mount a bottle on my bike, and I don't have a bottle battery anyway. I just bought my bike 2 months ago so I'm stuck with this battery for the time being. Pannier bags don't help either.
Melodious, how long is the space between the screen for that bottle battery mount? And how big is that bottle? Can I fit a 36v 10ah battery in it?
You can drill and tap your own water bottle mounts?

wineboyrider said:
YonathanZ said:

Drill yes, tap no. Use Rivnut inserts: http://www.rivnut.com I buy 'em on eBay.

Don't need the tool either unless you're planning to do large quantities - this video shows how to swag your own:

[youtube]tA9fB3asSZU[/youtube]

melodious said:
I have standard bottle mounting attachments on the top of the frame. Nothing special, but my bike has them, where yours doesn't. Surprised it doesn't, as its a common area to put them. Your battery probably has no mount to attach to besides the seatpost bag. And these bottle mount batteries come in various configurations: 36v 10-16Ah & 48v 8-12ishAh.

I'd live with your current setup. Eventually, you'll think of something to make battery removal easier.
I am asking about the spacing between the screws because, apparently, there are two holes under the top tube of my bike. Right now, there are cable holders attached to those holes, but maybe I can attach a battery mount there. Then again, I don't have a bottle battery...

What I have is a saddle/seatpost bag, and I'm going to try to attach it to the top tube using three velcros, just like this bag attached to the top tube:
33016_01_d.jpg

Edit: Nevermind, the holes in my frame are 3" apart. Apparently, bottle mount holes are 2.5" apart. Anyway, do you think 3 velcros can hold a 2.3KG battery tight enough?

Add a couple of Rivnuts/Nutserts in the top of the tube and add a bottle battery. That velcro looks fine for hanging underneath but not on top.

Attachments

• tern.jpg
    tern.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 4,566
  • innata_folding_201_800x600.jpg
    innata_folding_201_800x600.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,566
Ykick said:
wineboyrider said:
YonathanZ said:

Drill yes, tap no. Use Rivnut inserts: http://www.rivnut.com I buy 'em on eBay.

Don't need the tool either unless you're planning to do large quantities - this video shows how to swag your own:

[youtube]tA9fB3asSZU[/youtube]

are you advising him to drill his bike frame?

cwah said:
are you advising him to drill his bike frame?

Why not? I just did it yesterday for a bottle battery install where the existing mounts were too close to the seat tube to allow for the battery to fit on those mounts. It's no big deal really, but I suppose if you have a really expensive frame and are going to remove everything if you want sell it down the track without the motor, etc. it might be a concern. I'd just put a couple of cap screws in the holes and call it good.

Drilling into a $1500, two months old bike? No way.
I did go to a shoemaker who stitched two wide velcros to the bag I had, and they hold the bag attached to the bike just fine, even at speeds over 35kmph. I really like how it turned out, both technically (the bike is more balanced now, and I can remove the battery and put it in the bag instead of having to carry 45cm seatpost + saddle + battery and look funny) AND visually (it looks really nice, the color of the bag makes it blend in with the bike frame - it looks like its meant to be there).

Here's a photo I just took:

2w388ye.jpg

Thanks to all who replied and offered suggestions. :)

Back