BBS02 quit working! $%#$%&*

mwinschel

10 mW
Hi, wondering if anyone has any suggestions. New unit, just installed with only about 44 miles. Unit just quit working on a ride. Electronics all seem to be functioning fine, gets input from both brake sensors and speed sensor appears to be working. Battery showing near full charge, verified voltage at 52 ish Volts. No error codes. Unit seems stiff when manually pushing backwards as if maybe there was a failure inside the unit? Any suggestions? Have an inquiry into elifebikes to find out how to handle it. Was loving the unit until this morning! There appears to be no power delivery at all either in PAS or throttle.

Try disconnecting the e-brake cables, with the battery power off. Then re-power the system up again and see if the PAS and/or throttle is working.

I had a similar problem, where my hydraulic brake sensor magnet had shifted slightly too far away from the sensor.
This effectively caused the PAS and throttle not to operate and gave symptoms of a system failure, but was not.

Even with the cable e-brakes, something similar can happen. The Bafang ones supplied with the kit, aren't particularly good quality.

No change. unplugged all and no power output. The sensors are working and you can see on the screen when you grab the brakes also, so I dont think that is the problem. It appears to be getting the correct input.

disconnect the controller and meassure with Ohm-meter the controller

put the minus needle of the meter to the battery-minus connector of the controller, put the plus-needle to each phase connector and check the "ohm"
It must be on each 10k if there is one phaseconnector with much lower then the controller is brocken

In the last charges that we have received from bafang there is a lot of trouble with controller, only last week I had to change 5 controller on new motor´s with just a few km runtime and all have the same problem, one mosfet group grilled

regards
frank

mwinschel said:
The sensors are working and you can see on the screen when you grab the brakes also

Which display have you got? I don't understand what shows on the screen when you grab the brakes. My C965 doesn't have an icon indication for when the brakes get used.

I have a 965 also. Apparently there are multiple versions of the same unit. My unit displays a small brake symbol when I grab a brake handle. I do not however show any power consumption data, which is what I wanted when I paid extra for the unit!

I have a C965 with 3 buttons remote switch, I have a brake symbol in my display to. These display was delivered in may 2015 from China.
Here is my display layout.
Dispaly C965.jpg
It is apparently at least two types of layout version C965. Here is another layout.
bafang c965.jpg

mechaniker said:
disconnect the controller and meassure with Ohm-meter the controller

put the minus needle of the meter to the battery-minus connector of the controller, put the plus-needle to each phase connector and check the "ohm"
It must be on each 10k if there is one phaseconnector with much lower then the controller is brocken

In the last charges that we have received from bafang there is a lot of trouble with controller, only last week I had to change 5 controller on new motor´s with just a few km runtime and all have the same problem, one mosfet group grilled

regards
frank

Frank, thank you for your help. Wondering if you can provide a little more guidance here. Which plug is being removed, the main harness or the one with the screen? Is there a map that shows which is the battery connection. I seem to see people refer to the display as the controller sometimes. My understanding is the controller is in the motor portion. I want to make sure I am measuring at the right points.

Looking deeper, mechanically I see no issues inside the motor with the gears. The stator seems in very close contact with the rotor though, not sure what tolerances there should be. I need some guidance for checking the MOSFETs and motor if anyone can provide some guidance. I have the three larger wires going to the motor and the two groups of smaller wires that I assume are the mosfets. Assuming they have start and run capacitors also, wondering if these could be fried.

mwinschel said:
Frank, thank you for your help. Wondering if you can provide a little more guidance here. Which plug is being removed, the main harness or the one with the screen? Is there a map that shows which is the battery connection. I seem to see people refer to the display as the controller sometimes. My understanding is the controller is in the motor portion. I want to make sure I am measuring at the right points.

I made some photo I guess this make it clear, I named the photo´s good and brocken

regards
frank

Attachments

• good.jpg
    good.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,938
  • brocken.jpg
    brocken.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,938
Blue and yellow test at 10 +/- immediately. Green bounces all over the place, sometimes 40-50k ohm, sometimes 10ths of an ohm and doesnt seem to want to stabilize. Is green considered in this or is this a ground?

Really need some help from someone who can direct me what to do. Bought a new controller and had it shipped in, same issue, no power in any of the three modes (Throttle, PAS, or walking mode). Display shows no errors. Tried disconnecting brake sensors. Switched twist throttle for thumb throttle. BIG FAT NOTHING! Assuming it has to be the motor at this point unless the controller was somehow DOA. Got the second one from Doug at california Ebike and he said he tested it before it went out the door. I dont know what to do at this point, can anyone help?

Hi ,
the motor-phase you can s´check easy with Ohm-Meter.
Connect the phase-wire with the plus needle from the meter and connect the minus needle with the motorhouse, the resist must be very high like endless high on each wire the blue, the yellow and the green one
then you know the phase ise of the motor is good and ready to run

If you would live in europe you could send me your motor for testing but USA is to far away but i´m sure there must be helpfull guy somewhere in usa solve your Problem

Regards
frank

Back