Bench testing A2B metro hub motor

desq

100 µW
Hi All,

Some of you may have read my previous thread about repairing my A2B Metro that I bought as a spares and repair job. Initially I have disassembled the battery with a view of rebuilding the pack. I I think I have a pretty idea on how to do that, but in pushing the Metro round the garage I've discovered that the hub motor is providing a lot of resistance when you try and push the bike or just spin the back wheel.

As a test I hooked up the charger to provide 36 volts to the battery with the battery hooked into the bike (hope this wasn't a bad idea!) with the bike on the stand back wheel up. I gently opened the throttle and the rear wheel span for a moment and then stopped.

At this point I'm thinking that the best idea is to open up the hub motor (as per youtube videos) and take a look inside and see if anything has seized or there are any wires shorting out. While I'm at it I think that I will try and replace the original controller in the wheel with another one on the frame someshere, as I've read that a lot of V1 metros suffer from overheating controllers.

Before I go any further I thought that it would be a good idea to see if I could hook up the hub motor to a 36v supply and do a bench test. The connections coming off the motor are two big power supply wires and four smaller wires which are in a squashed square formation in the plug pins going to the motor.

Any help on identifying what each of the pins are and how to hook everything up for a bench test would be greatly appreciated. I have access to a 36v PSU.

I've had a surf round on the site but can't see this specific information apologies if I've missed it.

Thx

IMG_20160522_182641.jpg

IMG_20160522_182629.jpg

I've moved on now and removed the rim from the wheel.

Before I try to start pulling the two halves of the hub apart using a hub puller in the same way as this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyZdYayFkwI

Can anybody tell me if there is anything else I need to remove apart from the disk brake rotor?

Thx

Des

Have successfully opened the motor up. Don't know if it happened when opening the hubs but the black power wire has broken free where it entered the potting compound.

I think that I'd like to ditch the internal controller anyway and have an external controller which will run cooler. Preferably I'd like to run a sensor controller so I don't have to pedal to get the bike going.

Just looking on ebay do you think this one would be suitable? I could start running it at 36V and perhaps up it to 48v later if I wanted a bit more power..

Any advice appreciated. This is my first motor teardown.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182121310900?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Attachments

• IMG_20160525_204019.jpg
    IMG_20160525_204019.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 1,036
  • IMG_20160525_195250.jpg
    IMG_20160525_195250.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 620
desq,

Here is a link to the service manual for the A2B Metro. The circuit diagram on page 7-6 (near the very end)
http://site.nycewheels.com/manuals/Ultramotor/A2B-Metro-Service-Manual-V1.pdf

What did you pay for your parts A2B? I've been looking for one in my area and wanted to know what a fair price would be.

Best of luck on your rebuild.

Thanks Zarcon, super helpful!

I like the bit on 7.1 where they say that connectors are not individually marked so make sure that you mark them otherwise you'll have a hell of a job working out which one is which!

Just thinking about all the wires I'll have to get out of the hub to my external controller if I choose a sensor option..In addition to the 6 phase wires I'll have to route 9 hall sensor and two temperature sensor wires. That's a lot to get through a small space where only8 wires are coming through at the moment. If it can be done I'd imagine that you'd have to source 6 core and 11 core wires of appropriate thickness to keep the diameter down.

As usual thoughts appreciated?

Thx

BTW, I paid 300 pounds in London UK on an Ebay Auction. It was listed as a non-runner. Running models in good condition go for about 3-4 times that.

Here's a similar example on ebay..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Motor-A2B-Metro-Electric-Bike-/351728046949?hash=item51e4a01365%3Ag%3AJ2oAAOSwYmZXMLY5&nma=true&si=DqN0k%252FkJkTRjglXu2U66Jq90skk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Back