Best Battery and Safest/Best Place to Buy inexpensively?

copajoe

1 µW
Hello,
I am a first time poster but I have been lurking for weeks doing lots of reading and research.
If possible, could the e-bike pro's here take a look at my configuration and let me know how it looks, where it could be improved and/or modified for better performance and weight savings?

The bike I have is a Motobecane all aluminum hardtail and is about 10 pounds. It has XTR derailers, Cassette, brakes, carbon fiber cranks (which will go to the wayside if I cannot integrate them), seat post and handle bars. I plan to upgrade to XTR hydraulic disc brakes as I currently do not have them and as everyone suggests, you need to stop!!!! OK, on to the motor.

I plan to purchase the LunaCycle BBSHD 1000W middrive motor along with the gear sensor for derailers, befang hydraulic E-brake sensor, and a Luna Eclipse 42T chain ring.

The battery, that I plan to build is basically a 14S6P made up of Panasonic 18650's which would be 84 total batteries and less than 12 pounds. This would give me 51.8W and 20.4ah. or about 50 miles of distance and approximately 35-40 MPH of speed with strong torque for some steep climbs?

In regard to batteries - I found Fasttech sells the Panasonic NCR18650B 3.7V 3400mAh (protected version) a little over $7.00 a piece. Is this a good reputable place to buy? Does anyone know of a better battery for my purpose or better location to purchase them from? Please, all input on this will be greatly appreciated! I have time if I need to order them from overseas but I prefer US purchases as they are easier and safer for returns should there be bad cells.

Is Fasttech reliable and do they sell genuine batteries? Does anyone sell these or better batteries for less?
Are the protected 18650's much better than the unprotected in regard to safety? durability? what? I have not been able to find info on the differences.

Being that I will be buying and building the battery myself, I need a quality spot welder, solder gun, pure nickel strips, glue gun/glue and a high quality BMS/charger.
Any recommendations on where to get these?

What else do you see that I may need? what else is missing?

Once again, I would like to thank you in advance for reading this and for any advice you may be able to throw my way!

PS- if you got this far, let me further explain why I will build and not just buy a premade battery. I live in Copacabana. Rio de Janeiro Brazil. THIS is why I need to build my own battery because a-you cannot ship a battery here on a plane and b - they sell 18650's here but they are in the 20-25 US dollar range a piece! Yes, that much more expensive. I am a very good do it yourself-er. While I have never done anything like this, I have installed complete home electrical systems on homes. different to say the least but I can get the job done because I do my homework first!

once again, thank you in advance!!!!

HOW I PLAN TO GET BATTERIES TO BRAZIL
My plans are to make sure they are all individually wrapped and protected and carry them on as instructed by the airlines. They have no limit on quantities of spare batteries but have maximum 100 watt hours (wh) per battery. Here is a cut and paste from their website and also a link if you want to see the whole article

"Size limits: Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).

Batteries must be protected from damage."

Based on this, individual cells, that are protected, would be allowed in carry on baggage, here is the link to the entire article.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Hello,
I am a first *(now second as I posted this in batteries but am getting no response) time poster but I have been lurking for weeks doing lots of reading and research.
If possible, could the e-bike pro's here take a look at my configuration and let me know how it looks, where it could be improved and/or modified for better performance and weight savings?

The bike I have is a Motobecane all aluminum hardtail and is about 10 pounds. It has XTR derailers, Cassette, brakes, carbon fiber cranks (which will go to the wayside if I cannot integrate them), seat post and handle bars. I plan to upgrade to XTR hydraulic disc brakes as I currently do not have them and as everyone suggests, you need to stop!!!! OK, on to the motor.

I plan to purchase the LunaCycle BBSHD 1000W middrive motor along with the gear sensor for derailers, befang hydraulic E-brake sensor, and a Luna Eclipse 42T chain ring.

The battery, that I plan to build is basically a 14S6P made up of Panasonic 18650's which would be 84 total batteries and less than 12 pounds. This would give me 51.8W and 20.4ah. or about 50 miles of distance and approximately 35-40 MPH of speed with strong torque for some steep climbs?

In regard to batteries - I found Fasttech sells the Panasonic NCR18650B 3.7V 3400mAh (protected version) a little over $7.00 a piece. Is this a good reputable place to buy? Does anyone know of a better battery for my purpose or better location to purchase them from? Please, all input on this will be greatly appreciated! I have time if I need to order them from overseas but I prefer US purchases as they are easier and safer for returns should there be bad cells.

Is Fasttech reliable and do they sell genuine batteries? Does anyone sell these or better batteries for less?
Are the protected 18650's much better than the unprotected in regard to safety? durability? what? I have not been able to find info on the differences.

Being that I will be buying and building the battery myself, I need a quality spot welder, solder gun, pure nickel strips, glue gun/glue and a high quality BMS/charger.
Any recommendations on where to get these?

What else do you see that I may need? what else is missing?

Once again, I would like to thank you in advance for reading this and for any advice you may be able to throw my way!

PS- if you got this far, let me further explain why I will build and not just buy a premade battery. I live in Copacabana. Rio de Janeiro Brazil. THIS is why I need to build my own battery because a-you cannot ship a battery here on a plane and b - they sell 18650's here but they are in the 20-25 US dollar range a piece! Yes, that much more expensive. I am a very good do it yourself-er. While I have never done anything like this, I have installed complete home electrical systems on homes. different to say the least but I can get the job done because I do my homework first!

once again, thank you in advance!!!!

HOW I PLAN TO GET BATTERIES TO BRAZIL
My plans are to make sure they are all individually wrapped and protected and carry them on as instructed by the airlines. They have no limit on quantities of spare batteries but have maximum 100 watt hours (wh) per battery. Here is a cut and paste from their website and also a link if you want to see the whole article

"Size limits: Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).

Batteries must be protected from damage."

Based on this, individual cells, that are protected, would be allowed in carry on baggage, here is the link to the entire article.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

comments? thoughts? ideas?

thanks again!!!!!!!!!

Back