Best frame for stealthy e-bike build? Eleek Ekross vs. Qulbix vs. Vector Typhoon frames?

mbgjt1

100 W
Hi all, need some help deciding on a solid frame for my ebike build. Main goal is to make it look like a bicycle, so as narrow as possible and with a bicycle seat. To be ridden on road, footpath, and gravel roads.

So far, my options:
1) Qulbix 76r or 140r frame (120kg rider limit, some say it has a weaker rear swing arm)
2) Vector Typhoon (150 kg rider limit, 1000kg force before breaking)
3) Eleek Ekross (150 kg rider limit, 1000kg force before breaking)

I've read that Vector is a reseller of Eleek, but customer service of Vector and Eleek is very painful. Qulbix seems good, they are slightly more expensive.

I'm mainly concerned about the quality of the frame. Which would you go for maximum durability? Something that can handle 200Nm torque out of a QS205 hub motor no issues?

Any experience with these frames, or any other options you would recommend?

It looks like they will all come out to be around 800 to 1000 USD, and are much better than the cheap chinese frames everyone goes for.

Hi all, need some help deciding on a solid frame for my ebike build. Main goal is to make it look like a bicycle, so as narrow as possible and with a bicycle seat. To be ridden on road, footpath, and gravel roads.

So far, my options:
1) Qulbix 76r or 140r frame (120kg rider limit, some say it has a weaker rear swing arm)

I've read that Vector is a reseller of Eleek, but customer service of Vector and Eleek is very painful. Qulbix seems good, they are slightly more expensive.

I'm mainly concerned about the quality of the frame. Which would you go for maximum durability? Something that can handle 200Nm torque out of a QS205 hub motor no issues?

Any experience with these frames, or any other options you would recommend?

It looks like they will all come out to be around 800 to 1000 USD, and are much better than the cheap chinese frames everyone goes for.

mbgjt1 said:
Main goal is to make it look like a bicycle, so as narrow as possible and with a bicycle seat. To be ridden on road, footpath, and gravel roads.

So far, my options:

Why don't you start with a bicycle, rather than an illegal-almost-everywhere uninspectable, uninsurable motorcycle? Your main goal is in conflict with your candidates.

These frames are designed for high torque at the rear with a hub motor

Not sure the standard DH bicycle will be capable.

Also they will be way too light!

Chalo is right.
If you want to build an illegal moped/motorcycle that looks like a bicycle you'll have to start with a bicycle frame.
What is your intended use/speed/range etc.?

mbgjt1 said:
Main goal is to make it look like a bicycle,
So far, my options:

Given the choices, a couple of obvious questions about the goal seem to be:
  • Does it only have to have two wheels to look like a bicycle, or does it need two wheels AND pedals?
  • When you look at it, does that mean looking directly at it, or does seeing it out or your peripheral vision and accidentally mistaking it for a bicycle count? Are the people supposed to be familiar with what a bicycle looks like, or is it their first time?

E-HP said:
mbgjt1 said:
Main goal is to make it look like a bicycle,
So far, my options:

Given the choices, a couple of obvious questions about the goal seem to be:
  • Does it only have to have two wheels to look like a bicycle, or does it need two wheels AND pedals?
  • When you look at it, does that mean looking directly at it, or does seeing it out or your peripheral vision and accidentally mistaking it for a bicycle count? Are the people supposed to be familiar with what a bicycle looks like, or is it their first time?

Hi,

It'll end up looking like an ebike, but def not a high powered one I'm hoping.

Do you have any experience with any of these frames?

SlowCo said:
Chalo is right.
If you want to build an illegal moped/motorcycle that looks like a bicycle you'll have to start with a bicycle frame.

Speed up to 50 to 60 km with high low end torque (40 to 50 km range)

I'm worried that a bike frame won't be able to handle the torque and weight of a QS205 hub motor.

mbgjt1 said:
SlowCo said:
Chalo is right.

I'm worried that a bike frame won't be able to handle the torque and weight of a QS205 hub motor.
Nope, but I've looked at a lot of the builds, and none looks like a bicycle if that's really the main goal. Show a pic to a kid or grandma, and get an unvarnished opinion.

E-HP said:
mbgjt1 said:
SlowCo said:
Chalo is right.

Nope, but I've looked at a lot of the builds, and none looks like a bicycle if that's really the main goal. Show a pic to a kid or grandma, and get an unvarnished opinion.

Great point

in that case I'll look at using a bike frame and a mid-drive motor (e.g. CYC X1)

Any idea how much power a bike drivetrain can handle?

I wonder what would happen if you put 5kW of power through the drivetrain and rear brackets

mbgjt1 said:

Do you have many hills to climb? If not, a 1500W Leaf hub motor in a 24"or 26" wheel for a DH bicycle would be enough. Fill it with FF (Ferrofluid, Statorade) for cooling and run it with a 3kW controller.

https://www.leafbike.com/products/e...48v-52v-1500w-rear-bike-motor-wheel-1204.html

Read this thread for info on the motor and what it is capable of:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66489&start=2150

mbgjt1 said:
E-HP said:
mbgjt1 said:
SlowCo said:
Chalo is right.

Great point

in that case I'll look at using a bike frame and a mid-drive motor (e.g. CYC X1)

Any idea how much power a bike drivetrain can handle?

I wonder what would happen if you put 5kW of power through the drivetrain and rear brackets
One of the reasons I think people opt for those frames it that it's difficult to find a bicycle with 150 mm dropouts that aren't made for through axles. Seems like getting a good downhill mountain bike frame and customizing/fabricating compatible dropouts is one way to go.
On the mid drive, that's more about not choosing too tall of a gear, although punishing the drive train with 5kW regularly is a lot for bicycle components.

SlowCo said:
mbgjt1 said:

Do you have many hills to climb? If not, a 1500W Leaf hub motor in a 24"or 26" wheel for a DH bicycle would be enough. Fill it with FF (Ferrofluid, Statorade) for cooling and run it with a 3kW controller.

https://www.leafbike.com/products/e...48v-52v-1500w-rear-bike-motor-wheel-1204.html

Read this thread for info on the motor and what it is capable of:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66489&start=2150

thanks for this!

wow some people are pushing it upto 8kw!

That is absolutely crazy, not sure what that will do to the drivetrain!

mbgjt1 said:

The power from a hub motor doesn't interact with a bike's drivetrain at all.

Chalo said:
mbgjt1 said:

OK looks like I'd need torque arms to handle that amount of torque.

And it won't work on a through axle bicycle frame:(

mbgjt1 said:
Chalo said:
mbgjt1 said:

OK looks like I'd need torque arms to handle that amount of torque.

True.

And it won't work on a through axle bicycle frame:(

If you use a frame with interchangeable dropouts, you can make torque arms or clamping dropouts that attach the same way.

P.S. -

Don't be that guy. If you ride a motorcycle, register and insure it as a motorcycle. It's a dick move to usurp bicycle privileges with a motorcycle. Just don't.

calab said:
What is your riding style flat roads and flat trails or ski mountain drops

cheeko said:
Chambers said:
You should check out the futr frames as well - made by the same people that make the genuine stealth bikes http://www.futrelectricbike.com/product/beta-snow-white

My Frame Still going strong after 5 years Hub 10kw, Time to chage it up to mid drive now hub pain in arse but not frame LOL

Ride to work and trails, my Mxus 3k just to big for hard stuff so i will upgrade soon to Lighting Rods mid

Back