Bolt-on motor mount with moutainboard hub?

treenutter

1 mW
Hello All,

I'm planning out my first electric skateboard build and this forum has been a tremendous help, thanks to everyone for your enthusiastic sharing!

I would like to use a bolt-on motor mount (from DIYS, Enertion, or ADS) because I don’t have access to welding tools (nor the skill to craft one on my own). I planned to use either a Caliber or Paris-stlye truck, since that seems to be what all of the bolt-on motor mounts require.

HOWEVER: To use the MTS hubs I planned on, I need to buy a truck that has an axel length that exceeds the typical longboard truck axel (and the axel also needs to be a little wider in diameter). Essentially, I need a “mountainboard” truck that is compatible with a bolt-on motor mount.

I can’t find a caliber or paris-style truck that has the right measurements for the MTS hub. I’ve looked into MTS trucks (Vector), Trampa trucks, and Surfrodz. I can sorta fudge the axel diameter with some non-standard bearings, but the axel length and motor mount compatibility are still a challenge.

Pneumatic tires are necessary for my commute. The roads where I live are complete trash; the New England winters destroy them annually!

Does anyone have a suggestion for a truck that will work with the MTS Rockstar 2 and also provide compatibility with a bolt-on motor mount? I can dremel off a piece if needed. Any ideas would be hugely appreciated! Thanks Everyone!

Here's the current parts list:

Generic longboard deck (drop-down, slight concave)
Turnigy SK3 245 KV
MTS Rockstar 2 hubs\tires (9.5mmx28mm)
Turnigy 6S Lipo 5000
Hobbywing Quicrun-WP-8BL150 ESC
FlySky FS-GT2B controller
Turnigy 6S 5000mAh Lipo 20-30C (one for now, may add a 2nd in parallel)
Evolve Drive wheel for MTS RS2 (72T), 9mm wide, 5mm pitch

If someone can send me the dimensions of a trampa truck with the square hangers I can knock up a design and mill it out of aluminium and send it off. I don't have a mountainboard at this stage and the funding is too low to go buying one. :)

Thanks very much Killisch! If I can get my hands on a trampa truck I'll send along the measurements.

killisch said:
If someone can send me the dimensions of a trampa truck with the square hangers I can knock up a design and mill it out of aluminium and send it off. I don't have a mountainboard at this stage and the funding is too low to go buying one. :)

http://www.trampaboards.com/infinity-trucks--solid-hanger-body-with-12mm-solid-axles--mega-strong-p-11151.html

These would be my suggestion for ease of design.

Thanks Killisch, I agree that the square shape might facilitate the design of a bolt-on motor mount. The suspension is definitely "overkill" for my suburban commuting purposes (not necessarily a bad thing)!

killisch said:
http://www.trampaboards.com/infinity-trucks--solid-hanger-body-with-12mm-solid-axles--mega-strong-p-11151.html

These would be my suggestion for ease of design.

Tourqueboards, I was planning to use a longboard deck, dropped, top mount, like this one:

http://www.skateboardingoutpost.com/maple-wood-drop-down-complete-longboard-skateboard-deck-black-41-22/

torqueboards said:
Are you using a longboard deck and/or a MBS type deck?

Back