Bottom balancing?

I really can't see what the big problem with running a BMS is. If you don't overcharge, run the pack too low or try to pull excessive current it does virtually nothing. What is the big problem with having that safety net? I'm sure Jacks way of running his pack is fine as is using a BMS. There doesn't need to be only 1 way to do things and using a small high C pack to run an ebike is likely better with implemented with a BMS than without IMO.

Also some of the comments Jack has made about charging are relevant to the cells that he uses and not necessarily true to all cell types. A 2C cell and a 20C cell are quite different beasts I would have thought. If you throw a 1C charge at a high C cell, the tab voltages look the same as if you charge at 0.25C. I could put 4C charge into 1 of my cells and I bet the tab voltage still doesn't rise much above the level at 1C charge. Below is a an independent comparison of 40Ah of my cells, 40Ah of Sky Energy and 40Ah of Thundersky at 120A or 3C. Now tell me internal resistance doesn't make any difference :!:

Nanophos_TS_SE_comparison.jpg

jrickard said:
Where are all the engineering geniuses I'm told lurk in Endless Sphere. NOWHERE. No data. No measurements. A bunch of kids TYPING THEMSELVES SMART in public. Posturing and posing. Poseurs all.

Jack Rickard
http://EVTV.me
Whoa, back off a bit there.
I've been developing charging and discharging systems since 1992, custom data logging and real-time data displays (wired and wireless) for battery powered systems since 2003, and custom and production power-management systems for battery powered vehicles (air and ground, no not R/C stuff) and remote sensing systems since 2005 for the US government, military, and commercial companies. Useless info for you, I'm sure, except it says that I'm a bit older than a kid. :) I stand by the analyses, tests, and conclusions I've posted here 100% and will put them up against anyone else's data in the world. ANYONE's. All I post is sound data back up by sound, repeatable testing methodologies with the equipment and test environment listed.

I may not own an EV (of any size), and I sure as heck don't know it all, but I know damn well what I'm talking about when I do decide to talk. And I didn't enjoy being tossed into that pile you created.

Jack, why don't you tell us how you really feel :D I hope you decide to come back once in awhile to share your test results. It sounds like you have a lot of experience. I was particularly interested in the charging information you were talking about. Don't get hung up on the disagreements, there are some differences in using smaller packs for ebikes than EV cars. You are challanging some of the pre-conceived notions which is good. I'm still not clear on the point about charging at a higher voltage than 3.65V, I believe you said 4.2V, was that only during the CC stage, before the knee? at which point you have to go back to 3.65V? Or was that only for thundersky? Your last post mentions only charging to 3.65 (max?) until the knee, then keeping it at 3.65V until the current drops very low. It's hard to get a clear picture with all the noise. I will try checking your videos, but my bandwidth is slow.

jrickard said:
And AndyH. Sent me some data. I took an interest in a part of it he DIDN'T think I would. His graphs are BULLSHIT. I spent hours restesting this, sent him the data, and asked him to retest. He responded with a RESUME of how long he's been a goddamn expert. THEN he tells me he's sending my e-mail to his junk mail folder and not to talk to him anymore. BUSTED. His graphs are BULLSHIT. If you put anything by them, note that he FAKES HIS DATA. Like a science whore.

Wonderful, Jack, just wonderful. Here's the deal. I pulled numbers from a trio of brand new cells. Unused. I made sure my equipment was operating correctly, and cross-checked the numbers with a Fluke 87 with a fresh NIST-traceable calibration. You got upset because I didn't re-run the voltage bleed-down tests and send you numbers. I simply told you that I would not re-run the bleed down until I'm finished with the testing I'm performing on the cells. And at the conclusion of the testing, I expected the bleed-down numbers to change because the cells are no longer brand new. You responded to me personally with the same slightly less than professional communication skill you've already demonstrated on the forum. As I said privately - grow up or go away.

Members of E-S: It is with deep sadness that I admit that I invited this gentleman to this group. I hoped that he would soak up some of the knowledge found here and then use his videos to help raise the expertise of the DIY car folks that haven't yet learned what you know. I made a mistake and I am sorry.

Andy

AndyH said:
I made a mistake and I am sorry.

Andy

I don't believe apologies are needed mate, You weren't to know he would turn out to be a self absorbed obnoxious prick, he could of offered alot, but chose to beat his chest at how great he was and how little he thought everyone else understood...

KiM

Well, Jack's videos are at least fun to watch. :roll:

Maybe we can take something good from this and gather in-EV-use "production" data from some LiFePO4 cells and publish the data/result graphs here (in a new thread, of course). I'm working on collecting some data like this from my Headway pack. Maybe a thread called "extensive battery testing data" will finally silence the egos here. Jack's tone did change when he ran his own CBA tests and presented the data about guessing state of charge from loaded vs. unloaded voltages. The man is capable of learning. As is said on in somebody's tagline: "one test is better than a thousand opinions". I tend to believe numbers don't lie, so lets get some numbers!

There seem to be points that can be made by some repeated in-flight data gathering:

1) Every cell has a different capacity and different internal resistance, different float charge hold, etc. They're born that way. Every pack has a weakest link.
2) Over time these different capacities _diverge_ and not converge. The weaker cells get weaker than the stronger cells over time. This is one reason why LVC is necessary.
3) This expanding differences in capacities and voltages requires monitoring on the low end and balancing (shunt or otherwise) on the high end to ensure even the weakest cell gets the maximum amount of energy.

These facts in 1, 2 should be observable with 10 or 20 cycles of data across a set of batteries in a vehicle. If those facts are true that leads to the conclusion in 3. I wonder if some combination of a Cycle Analyst and some cell level voltage recording can gather enough data to make a convincing argument of these facts?

Cheers,
--Adam

AussieJester said:
AndyH said:
I made a mistake and I am sorry.

Andy

I don't believe apologies are needed mate, You weren't to know he would turn out to be a self absorbed obnoxious prick, he could of offered alot, but chose to beat his chest at how great he was and how little he thought everyone else understood...

KiM

I don't know if I would have given such a clear character assessment but I reckon you've hit the nail on the head :roll: The people that Jack has attacked are some of the nicest, most knowledgable and helpful people you could ever wish to meet in cyberspace. Some of them even promoted your show and ideas previously and even though they might not have accepted your ideas 100% still respected them and still had some degree of openmindedness about the matter.

Everyone has there own ideas and that's fine, it only becomes a problem when you demand others to follow your own off key ideas with little or no evidence to back them up and then abuse others when all they are trying to do is have a discussion :cry:

cell_man said:
What is the big problem with having that safety net? I'm sure Jacks way of running his pack is fine as is using a BMS. There doesn't need to be only 1 way to do things..
Word^
HTB_Terry said:
..there are some differences in using smaller packs for ebikes than EV cars. You are challanging some of the pre-conceived notions which is good.
Word^
AussieJester said:
I don't believe apologies are needed mate, You weren't to know he would turn out to be a self absorbed obnoxious prick
Word^ No apologies needed. Anyway, be boring without these characters.. gotta love it.

Profile of the Sociopath

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning
They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self
Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

Pathological Lying
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Shallow Emotions
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

Incapacity for Love

Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

Callousness/Lack of Empathy
Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability
Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

AndyH said:
Members of E-S: It is with deep sadness that I admit that I invited this gentleman to this group. I hoped that he would soak up some of the knowledge found here and then use his videos to help raise the expertise of the DIY car folks that haven't yet learned what you know. I made a mistake and I am sorry.

Andy
I like Jack. Please don't ban, Jack. We need a bit of discussion so the people can decide which is best for them. Jack, you are still welcome at Endless Sphere. I definitely will listen. I always trust people who aren't trying to sell me something moreso than someone who has some kind of financial interest involved.

I've watched Jack's videos and what Jack is saying is that expensive BMS's are not necessary and that's what I've been saying all along. Jack advises to get an 8s Celllog voltage monitor and that's it which is about $29 /a piece. I agree with him. These $1000 BMS made for electric cars are not necessary. Jack is more familiar with the electric car industry so that's his perspective and he's definitely right. I don't think BMS for electric bike are necessary either. If you want to monitor your cells then buy a $29 cell monitor but all these circuit boards with wires going everywhere are not necessary. Individual cell charging is superior to bulk charging.

And Jack makes some good points. Some of you think that you've learned so much that you are finished consuming information. All I know is that my batteries are fine. I've ran them about 10 times without a BMS and everything is fine. And it's like every week someone is on this forum saying that his BMS is broke or that his ping battery is defective.

I just finished re-reading Jack's rant. I found this line particularly rich:

Step 3. Get a job. Work at a piggly wiggly or something. Free coke for employees.

This is right after railing Goodrum's calm and polite explanation. Didn't I read in another thread/comment somewhere that Mr. G. was an engineer/consultant working for Lockheed or the like? Not exactly piggly wiggly. I don't want to drag personal lives into this but, Jack, learn who you are speaking with. There are people here with just as much education and experience as you and probably some with more of both.

If you could get away with no instrumentation or balancing/monitoring electronics and make the darn cells work for the long term don't you think Mr. Rickard would not be the only one that's discovered it? There are a lot of highly educated people working on this set of problems (not on this forum, but in the research labs at IBM and several university ChemE departments). There is nothing magical about a TSLFP-100 cell; it obeys the laws of physics just like every other Li* battery, which means it needs support infrastructure.

Cheers,
--Adam

These Thunderskys haven't been out long enough for many people to come forward. And with BMS being forced down everyone's throat, there aren't many people that are willing to take the risk of using them without it. Let me just say that if a BMS tells you that you have a weak cell or the weak cells dies without a BMS, what is the difference? You still have a weak cell. The weak cell will limit the entire pack regardless of a BMS or not.

I'm running my Thunderskys without a BMS and it's just fine. I know one other person who has run his for a year without a BMS and his is fine too.

Anyway, let me say that I think we as EV enthusiasts should be focusing on buying lithium batteries in its purest form in bulk and trying to lower the prices but instead it seems all people want to do is add more circuitry and increase the price of them. We should be buying lithium without any other gadgets attached to them and buy lots of them, get the prices down and get more people into LIFPO4. It's not a matter of gadgetry that it's going to get lifepo4 to the masses, it's a matter of capacity. Buy more capacity than you need and you won't ever have a problem.

morph999 said:
Buy more capacity than you need and you won't ever have a problem.
The way I see it, and I am admittedly somewhat limited in my knowledge of battery technology(compared to Luke, Patrick, Andy, Gary, ect..). With lipo or lifepo4, each cell has a certain voltage it needs to be charged to(and not be discharged past), and what the BMS allows you to do is provide a circuit that allows each cell to get to its correct fully charged voltage. You need this when using a bulk charger because regardless of capacity, some cells are different, and may reach their full capacity sooner than others, the cells that are full sooner with a BMS will no longer receive more charge, but without a BMS they will still get a charge and their voltage will increase until the pack matches the chargers output voltage. This means the cell that was full earlier than the others may be at a higher voltage than some cells that charged a bit slower and thus did not get fully charged, leading to an imbalance in the pack. Over time this may get worse and lead to poor performance and cell failure.
Again I am not an expert, but that's how I see it.
So you are fine not using a BMS all the time, but it would be wise to balance the pack every 10-20 cycles to make sure things don't get out of hand(that can be done by charging each cell individually or with a BMS) The added benefit of a BMS is LVC.

I'm running my Thunderskys without a BMS and it's just fine. I know one other person who has run his for a year without a BMS and his is fine too.

This is a highly scientific sample size of two. And I'm guessing that both of you periodically monitor the cells' voltages and/or never drive near the end of your range. In practice do you always drive only 60 AHrs into a 100 AHr pack? Do you have some kind of other instrumentation that tells you when the pack is near empty? How do you make sure you don't kill cells on the low end?

I'm designing my EV so that it passes "the wife test". (My apologies to any offended by this obviously dated term.) My partner is incredibly smart, (and also a ChemE), and isn't interested in watching voltages to estimate a state of charge. Optimally a "you have X miles left" display would be in our car but in a pinch the simple "AHr's used" display works fine too (thanks to a Cycle Analyst). If she, or any of the other people who will drive my EV, get near the end of the pack I need the pack to be smarter than the person driving and stop the car. That way they can't drive past low-voltage cutoff on one of the cells. This is important - particularly for $130+ cells.

Designing an EV that the architect can drive in the long term is one thing. The architect (usually the people reading this forum) knows what is going on under the hood and babies the car or cherry picks the routes appropriately to stay in range. Other users - particularly drivers who didn't design the EV - don't know what to expect. Instrumentation is necessary to explain to them what is going on and/or how close they are to running out of fuel. This requires parts.. on cells... that monitor. You see where I am going.

Jack's shortcoming in his arguments appears to be "this works for me, therefore it should work for everyone". If Jack sold his car, after converting it, to a user I think a month later even with extensive training in the Jack method of monitoring TS cells that the user would be un-happy and have killed at least one cells. Even if the user is told "never drive past X miles, the pack can't make it" with a ridiculously conservative range number the problem is it will happen. With probability of 1. The car has to stop itself, the user will not. I think this is part of the impedance mismatch this crowd is having with Mr. Rickard - we're designing for a more general purpose and a better idiot ^H^H^H^H^H^ user.

Cheers,
--Adam

morph999 said:
I've watched Jack's videos and what Jack is saying is that expensive BMS's are not necessary and that's what I've been saying all along. Jack advises to get an 8s Celllog voltage monitor and that's it which is about $29 /a piece. I agree with him. These $1000 BMS made for electric cars are not necessary. Jack is more familiar with the electric car industry so that's his perspective and he's definitely right. I don't think BMS for electric bike are necessary either. If you want to monitor your cells then buy a $29 cell monitor but all these circuit boards with wires going everywhere are not necessary. Individual cell charging is superior to bulk charging.

And Jack makes some good points. Some of you think that you've learned so much that you are finished consuming information. All I know is that my batteries are fine. I've ran them about 10 times without a BMS and everything is fine. And it's like every week someone is on this forum saying that his BMS is broke or that his ping battery is defective.

1. Not everybody has the same needs for a system, nor has the ability to run batteries that are twice the size that is needed to avoid low voltage.
2. Not everybody desires to monitor the battery manually, even further -many users may not even have the time or knowledge to do so. As an industry, do you think that ANY manufacturer wants to rely on the end user to monitor a battery system? Why did Dewalt include a solid state BMS on their a123 packs instead of just using 60% capacity and hoping that the cells didn't get too out of whack? You want to sell EVs without an automatic management system? Better screen every customer fully or be prepared to educate them on taking care of the battery. Saving $1000 on an automatic BMS is peanuts compared to the potential warranty claims and customer support that would loom ahead. Further more, without an automatic BMS you lose the ability to gather data in real time, which is a HUGE asset in many ways.
3. Before you knock bulk charging with a "messy $1000" BMS, add up the cost of 24 individual isolated chargers and consider the wiring complexity and size of charging harnesses. There is no free lunch. For a particular size of battery there will be scales of economy that favor one method or another. It isn't so cut and dry that one is always better.
4. Get more than 10 cycles on your pack and see how long it takes to get out of whack. You will need to "manage" your battery with one system or another, whether it be your own labor or fairies watching over you.

I don't get why BMS is treated as a four letter word to some people. It can be as simple as a cell level charging system with bulk LVC and cell-logs for monitoring, or as complicated as you want to get. BMS simply means battery management system, not wires and boards that are expensive. Get rid of your preconceived notions about what a "BMS" is. It can be human labor or automatically controlled.

It will always be in the producers best interest to protect the user from themselves, and to design a system to gather as much data as possible. For a homebuilder or drag racer this may indeed be a waste of their resources if they are willing to replace an automatic system with their TIME and expertise. It really boils down to application and fit of the system. In the end however, a battery will always need management of some kind.

ahambone said:
Jack's shortcoming in his arguments appears to be "this works for me, therefore it should work for everyone". If Jack sold his car, after converting it, to a user I think a month later even with extensive training in the Jack method of monitoring TS cells that the user would be un-happy and have killed at least one cells.

Cheers,
--Adam

Very good point here. Jack does not like using "BMS"s, so he does not consider his own efforts to be part of "battery management systems". Furthermore, since he is very adamant that money spent on a(n automatic) "BMS" is not money well spent, I can only conclude that he does not consider his own time valuable or he does not keep track of his own time.

If I were to compare my own time VS a $1000 automatic BMS system, I would consider the break even point to be roughly two years of service if I had a meager salary of $10 per hour. I would estimate at least one hour of management per week of daily use, beyond what a single plug automatic setup would require. In reality the break even would be 1/4 of that time, since I value my time at $40 an hour. Even further, if I were to pay a "technician" to manage the battery I would likely have a bill of 60 to $80 an hour or more. Not far fetched at all considering they would be working with deadly voltage. When one considers that a life battery can have a 5 year cycle life or more, it becomes evident that an automatic BMS can actually have much additional value over the purchase price.

Sadly, I see behavior from many of those who have replied to Jack's posts is just as abhorrent as Jack's were.

Although he did fail to successfully communicate his ideas, and degenerate into a Dick as a result of prodding, you guys have shown yourselves to be the hole that mates to his Dick :x I also thought he was a crackpot, although I tried to keep an open mind to his theories and kept it to myself. You kids went at him like Piranha. Did it make you feel better?

It is true what I have been told about the E:S; a large juvenile circle jerk, with a few nice and smart folks tossed in to actually contribute something.

morph999 said:
These Thunderskys haven't been out long enough for many people to come forward. And with BMS being forced down everyone's throat, there aren't many people that are willing to take the risk of using them without it. Let me just say that if a BMS tells you that you have a weak cell or the weak cells dies without a BMS, what is the difference? You still have a weak cell. The weak cell will limit the entire pack regardless of a BMS or not.

Anyway, let me say that I think we as EV enthusiasts should be focusing on buying lithium batteries in its purest form in bulk and trying to lower the prices but instead it seems all people want to do is add more circuitry and increase the price of them. We should be buying lithium without any other gadgets attached to them and buy lots of them, get the prices down and get more people into LIFPO4. It's not a matter of gadgetry that it's going to get lifepo4 to the masses, it's a matter of capacity. Buy more capacity than you need and you won't ever have a problem.

You have excellent points, morph, and you certainly have the right to run your pack any way you wish. And I do understand why one might distrust someone with a product to sell. Please, though, if possible, allow for the possibility that folks like Gary and Richard might be spending all their time and money developing a product not because they're looking to line their pockets but because a product is needed and the ones available on the market don't do what they could/should, or don't do it for what most might consider a reasonable cost.

I started out running a 21S pack of Thunder Sky cells with no BMS. I also spend a fair bit of time working with others that do the same. I have just over a year's worth of data collected from the pack while on the road and on the charger. I use all of this to confirm or deny what I read and what I think I know. In my previous 'life' as a military analyst, people could die if I or my team made a mistake. While for most of us lithium isn't life or death, one point that I remember is that bad data is worse than no data. I have data to back-up my current state of understanding and will share it with you if you desire.

You aren't the only person suggesting that a 'weak cell' should be culled from the pack, BMS or no. In order to really look at that, we need to know your definition of 'weak cell'. I'll start with some possibilities in no particular order. If I don't cover your definition, please help me learn something new. :)

A 'weak cell' could be an otherwise fully functioning cell that just has happens to have the lowest capacity in the pack. In a pack with no BMS, this cell will always be the first to charge (and quickly over charge) and the first to discharge and over discharge. If voltages are kept in line, this cell will likely deliver a full lifespan. With no cell level management this will be the first cell to die. Replacing this cell with another with the same capacity will repeat the process. Replacing this cell with one of higher capacity will simply move the failure to the lowest capacity cell in the stack. It will continually cost money because swapping a cell doesn't solve the problem.

A 'weak cell' could be an otherwise fully functioning cell that just happens to have the highest internal resistance in the pack. This is the one that will have the deepest sag during discharge and will generate the most heat during charge and discharge. If allowed to sag to very low voltages often enough, it will likely have a shorter lifespan than the rest of the pack. If heating is significant, it can affect the other cells close by. Localized heating in a pack can lead to imbalance. The wider the imbalance, with no cell level voltage protection, the more likely cells are to be overcharged or over discharged.

A 'weak cell' could be one that has been damaged thru over charge, over discharge, or over current. A proper BMS keeps this problem from happening. It also allows continued use of the cell (maybe with a mileage or current reduction).

I've said this before, but feel free to visit the VisforVoltage forum and read thru posts in the RMartin and X-Treme maxi-scooter areas. Both of these are filled with other folks running with no BMS. Notice how many of these folks got tired of trying to get replacement cells under warranty and bought replacement cells on their own - and then installed a BMS. Then read thru the EV forums where the car and truck folks run lead-acid. One thing you'll find is the joy from the folks that went from dropping their pack 2-3 times per year to replace batteries to running multiple years straight after installing management components. Everyone is free to have the experience they want - but don't ridicule those that wish to learn from history. :wink:

From a business perspective - a company wants to maximize profit per item sold. A company doesn't do that by including electronics that aren't necessary - unless they can use it as an 'upgrade' - like a car with navigation for a higher price. The Vectrix maxi has a BUNCH of electronics keeping its NiMH pack under control. The EV Chevy S10, Ford Ranger, EV-1, and RAV4s all have pack management - for both the lead-acid and NiMH packs. The hybrids all have BMS systems, as do the various Prius plug-in modules available. The 2011 X-Treme maxi scooters will have BMSs from the factory. The earlier model year scooters weren't shipped with 'naked' packs because they didn't NEED a BMS - they were shipped with no BMS because there wasn't a device available that worked well enough (including the OEM BMS from Thunder Sky). And we're back full-circle to the real benefit and value of Gary and Richard's work. Assembling a pack is very easy. It's finding a way to manage the pack that 's keeping car companies using NiMH - they're already got BMS that works for those and they'll hang on to their systems as long as they can.

From an end-user prospective - what's the price of lithium? Some consider purchase price to be the be-all and end-all. In the large format cells, they're buying 1C capable cells from Hipower instead of the 3C cells they should be using because it 'saves' $1000 on their 100S pack. Others hear 'price' but think 'value'. As in - it's better to pay the $200 necessary for the minimal BMS necessary to get 2000 cycles and 10 years from the pack rather than replacing 2 cells each year. Using round numbers, a 100 series pack at $100 per cell with $200 of added management costs $10,200. The same pack without management and two cells per year costs $12,000. This is why the lowest initial 'cost' might be the most expensive option over time. Others that have a stash of Dewalt packs in the back closet and a cousin that can restock the closet when it's empty will probably make another choice. :wink:

From the attached Intersil paper: "Small differences in the self-discharge rates of individual Li-Ion cells create state-of-charge mismatches in series-connected Li-Ion battery packs. These mismatches, along with limitations in the allowable Li-Ion cell voltages, result in a loss of pack capacity over time. By using cell-balancing techniques, the useable capacity of the Li-Ion pack increases, improving both the system run time and the life of the battery pack."

From the Thunder Sky Battery Manual: "If assembled LFP battery pack are not used with BMS it will not get fire or burn, however, if this kind of battery has been charged and discharged for long time without BMS, the single cell may be overcharged or over-dischared and even the cell voltage will rise to 5V or 10V, and meanwhile discharge voltage of some cell come down to 1.5V or 0V. At this condition the LFP battery pack will not smoke or burn as LCP battery, however those cells that are damaged by overcharging or over-discharging cannot be used any more. So it is necessary to use BMS with any kind of battery."

From the attached Delphi paper: "Lithium based battery technologies offer performance advantages over traditional battery technologies at the cost of increased monitoring and controls overhead. The additional complexity of the hybrid drive system increases the management burden for accurate state of charge prediction, state of health prediction, cell balancing, and charge management."

Andy

Attachments

• Thermal_Eval_Insight.pdf
    617.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Cell_Balancing_pwrt0207.pdf
    110.2 KB · Views: 387
morph999 said:
All I know is that my batteries are fine. I've ran them about 10 times without a BMS and everything is fine. And it's like every week someone is on this forum saying that his BMS is broke or that his ping battery is defective.

Hmm.. what is curious is that i saw the same number of person having problem because they had first serie their lithium cells.. then parallel these.. in their desing complaining that some in these string had overcharged or overdischarged....

and... if they would have use a BMS.. they would have saved them!

And... when saying that some used like 10 times their battery without BMS.. since we know people would use like 2000 times their battery... I never saw any report about person using 200 times his Lithium battery without BMS.
sorry.. 10 times without BMS is not as significant than 200 or 2000..

Everybody here that is measuring every of his cell and charging or balancing individually manually his cells for each ride here could do 10-20 ride without BMS if staying in the 80-20%soc... but ... we all know it<s never always like that in real life.. cold, hot weather, deep discharge, battery warming... etc these parametres certainly affect the cell balance

Tesla use a BMS, chevy Volt use a BMS, bionx use a BMS, your laptop use a BMS, dewalt use a BMS... and.. I understand why.

The only lithium battery i dont use any BMS with are the Konion Lithium manganese pack anyway it have 432 cells... but i perfectly matched the cells witthin 0.1% precision and.. that i generally use 60%dod max.. and never go under 10% soc....

Doc

Wow,

I've only just discovered this thread.

AndyH, please don't apologise for inviting Jack over. Its been wonderful; I've learned a lot.

There's a bit on page 10 where Jack makes a long reply to Gary's long explanation. If you filter it out to leave the technical points (we professional engineers do that) it turns out that he confirms much of what Gary claims.

Another thought on BMSs. More than one large semiconductor company is developing silicon for them. I guess they're just bored in the recession and looking for something to do.

Nick

evdriver said:
It is true what I have been told about the E:S; a large juvenile circle jerk, with a few nice and smart folks tossed in to actually contribute something.

If you ever find yourself making a blanket statement about an entire group, you probably shouldn't.

even members with rough edges have lots to contribute, some people react differently to being pissed on. And really if you read through the guy is pretty much pissing on everyone. feel free to take your attitude and blanket statements elsewhere or stop being so dramatic and stick around, its all good.

Just found the thread and have read it without hitting much of Jack's stuff external to the forum but will do so but I just want to say that I agree with everybody. It seems to me that Jack's premise, which is valid when not arguing with other valid perspectives, is that counting the power in and out of a battery cell would be a good way to manage it but that it is not very easy to do in big series/parallel installations. I agree it is both good and hard to do. That is why I do it the old fasioned way with a balancing BMS and fixed voltage cell level LVC's. I plan on starting a car conversion having gotten LiFePO4 experience in the lower cost eBike comminuty, and it will use this technique to monitor each cell. Using fewer, larger cells makes it easier and of all the potentially valid techniques, this method is implemented in a practical way - I have a YESA BMS that has USB out to monitor cell voltages on an external PC while providing a throttle pull off output. Spending less than $1000 on instrumentation - monitor board and PC - that will keep the cells healthy seems reasonable on a $20k battery pack. Unbalanced batteries are bad. I am that BSME that really wants a STEAM powered bike, but I killed my share of cells stressed beyond all reasonable limits in the name of SCIENCE (how do you know where the limits are if you don't exceed them?) and EVERY time the root cause was bad balancing.

I want a Battery Management System writ large that monitors charge voltages and balances each cell to 3.6500V. I want it to have a cell level LVC that monitors all the variables related to the slippery IR and calculates what the LVC should be at any set of conditions and controls the output of each cell to avoid dropping below it. I would like it to monitor each cell's total output and input including regen - I like watt-hours but will accept ampere-hours which is what I take away is Jack's perspective - and also be able to monitor the capacity and issue warnings based on trends that it finds by mining past data using artificial intelligence algorythms.

I want it all transmitted via wireless brainwave transmitter as 3D graphs that materialize in my brain along with pictures of the unicorns...

...Oh yeah. It also charges each cell at the lowest possible rate so that it just reaches full charge when I need to use it again. It will know when I need it again by using bidrectional brainwave communications...

I have to admit that what turned me off to BMS was seeing someone on here every 3 days talking about how his BMS is broken or he's got a bad cell and it was always from pingbattery.

Also, some of the BMS that are available for electric bikes are just outrageously priced. Some cost as much as an entire 36v20ah pack. It makes no sense. I think maybe that is where Jack is coming from. That outraged me too when I saw those prices. There are people on here who want to get into lithium and I was trying to tell them that there are other ways to get into it for cheaper. I think I did do it for cheaper.

$400 - lifepo4 36v20ah
$39 - 3 small 3.2v lifepo4 chargers

I already had the black and decker charger. Most people probably have a 12v charger at home for their car batteries.

The SLA's that I was going to buy would have cost about $200 so I got into LIFEPO4 for about 2x the cost of SLA. I just hope the batteries last.

Back