Building a bike

Hi Y'all,

I'm thinking about building a bespoke e-bike from scratch and I'm looking for advice and tips. What I have already is as follows:

1x 20 inch 48V / 52V 1000W rear beach snow fat hub motor wheel (fit for the spacing of 170mm fat bike's rear fork)

1x 48V / 52V 18 mosfet sine wave motor controller

1x LCD-SW900

2x set of twist throttle

1x set of brake levers

1x pcs of three button switches ( for cruise control, reverse..)

Basically most of the electrical and power systems are all set, what I'm mostly interested in is the bike frame. I'm thinking of going for a dirt bike/ or motorcycle frame (either a dual sport frame or retro frame as I'm partial to the more stripped back/utilitarian look) and it would allow more space for connecting all the pieces, as well as allowing me to use some beefier suspension systems.

Has anyone had any experience or have some link to that info? This will likely be a spring/summer project so it's not anything I'm worried about in the immediate future (that and my wallet needs time to heal)

Thanks folks!

The components you've selected are more suited to a bicycle frame build. They will likely be underpowered using a motorcycle frame, so you may want to upgrade to a 5kW+ motor with battery and controller to match. Do you have metal fabrication skills and tools?

If you go the motorcycle route, then this is probably a better subforum"
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10

Yeah, the components I have come from a kit I got originally for my RadRunner because I broke the motor but decided to save it for another project.

I'm still learning about e-bike motors and all the components that come along with it, (there's SO much) so I'm sure what I want isn't necessarily what they're made for. The honest reason for my motorcycle frame desire is purely aesthetic. I just prefer the look of those frames over mountain bike frames, ya know? Maybe a lighter dirt bike frame or something?

I also have zero experience in metal fabrication, but I do have a fair amount of tools as I enjoy DIY projects of all kinds.
I recently ordered this book however https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0989906795?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image so I hope to be more informed when I finally decide to go about this project.

Thanks for answering tho! I appreciate the feedback.

Is the motor axle long enough to fit the frame type you're interested in using? If not, you may need either a new axle for it (and tools to press the old out and the new in), or torque plates for the frame inboard of it's dropouts to secure the motor to, or a different frame.

If you haven't already, you may wish to make yourself a list of specific conditions your system will need to handle: what terrain, road conditions, etc., winds, hills (what slope and how long), how much range required at what speed, maximum speed, etc. Then you can use pages like http://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html to determine what power will be needed to do the job, and what kind of system might be able to handle that job, at what voltage and current and how many Wh/mile (which will help you find the battery needed to give the power to do the work for as long a range as you require).

Back