Building a custom e-bike frame

shinyballs said:
OMG, Beautiful!! Finally a custom frame designed specifically for high powered ebikes.
looking forward to your builds and completion...

That makes 2.

Hal and John @ http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com.au are both making custom frames specifically for the X5. It's great to see this kind of development!

voicecoils said:
shinyballs said:
OMG, Beautiful!! Finally a custom frame designed specifically for high powered ebikes.
looking forward to your builds and completion...

That makes 2.

Hal and John @ http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com.au are both making custom frames specifically for the X5. It's great to see this kind of development!

That's right! those are also awesome bikes.
although I haven't seen a skeletal blueprint or I just missed it..
HAL mentioned 60 LiFePO4 10Ah can be mounted, which is about 1,920Wh. Is the stealthelectricbikes close to that capacity or bigger?

HAL9000v2.0 said:
Patent was a joke, I was talking about patenting building "first draw then build" because I do not know nobody who does it like this at home...
You can make it like an open source ebike system like Linux for the whole world to freely use. The ebike community can further optimize to full potential - more brain cells the better :) .
This way it'll be trademark/copyrighted to your name, if a company makes there own "distribution" based on your work, they should have there blueprint("source code") public.
I'm not familiar with the legalities, some legal minds here may contribute...

I see now I made a mistake actual figure is 40 38120 cells with cristalyte 40a digital controller 32cels with kelly kontroller. When I see that you write 1,9kwh :shock: :shock: "how I did not get so much" :?: :?: :?: Actual space is two times 310x151x100mm and one time some trapezoid prismatic space for kelly and bms, charger goes behind seat tube.
There are 4 types of swing arm 135,142,155 and 172 mm between dropouts. So It can take ANY hub motor. Actualy it is 8 types cause it can be with Vbreake or with disc.

Nice build, you mentioned V-brakes or disc brakes. Well, i have both on the same bike and the V-brakes work better and have better modulation to boot. Granted my rear cable is too long and is the cause of the discrepancy I'm sure.

I took some time off and go to workshop to relax...relaxation lasted 4,5 hours and ...number one is here...

Photo0034.jpg

The best rendering job I ever made...

Aussie: I used CrMo .6 wire and argon. Now frame is going in the oven to heat it up and cool down slowly to relese ramaining stress . (austempering)

Awesome Hal! So much room in the frame, the old school Y-frame is defintely the way to go. One thing to watch out for is clearance for the triple clamp tubes to move back and forth without hitting the enclosure, but I'm sure you already thought that out.

No, I am afraid that still won't be enough. You will feel seriously out of control at slow speed with anything thicker than the metal frame. :cry: I put some triple clamp Marzocchi JR T's on my bike and for slow manuevering around obstacles I really miss my old forks where I could go 90 degrees if I had to. Did you map the frame on autoCAD and take the design to a fabricator and they bent the frame tubes from there? Just wondering what it takes to pull something like this off, I am inspired by your design and was wondering if I could take your design locally and have the bends made here in the USA.

etard said:
No, I am afraid that still won't be enough. You will feel seriously out of control at slow speed with anything thicker than the metal frame. :cry: I put some triple clamp Marzocchi JR T's on my bike and for slow manuevering around obstacles I really miss my old forks where I could go 90 degrees if I had to.

Depends on what you're used to. Have a look at triple clamp fork designs on ICE sportbikes. They have a horrible 'turning circle' and yet I see them weaving through gridlock traffic all the time.

turning radius differs among triple clamp forks. i agree that the Junior T/Super T style forks have a horrible turning radius. however, the old Monster T forks had a great turning radius, actually, as the stanchions were spaced out further laterally and were offset further forward with relation to the axis of the steerer tube.

Super T:

18548.jpg

Monster T, as seen on one of my old bikes:

1.jpg

Wow! Bike bling! Sensational work, HAL9000! Glad they made the 2.0 version. The older one was a bit problematic, as I remember. Great work!
otherDoc

First rolling chassis... swing arm needs some changes but this is it. the frame is really stiff and swingarm joint works well...now I am waiting for the shocks.
rolling1.jpg

rolling2.jpg

26" x 4" tyre can fit in...

rolling3.jpg

And new discs a little smaller than old ones but still 300mm...

novi%20diskovi%201.jpg

novi%20diskovi%202.jpg

Hal.. can you just pm me when you'll have some 26" disk brake build??

:lol:

Nice job!.. wich color coat will you choose?

Doc

:lol: first I must switch to 28" wheels...actualy I am going to try 24" first...with new 5305.

This one will be matt gold powder coated with beige covers and my will be matt black fame with glossy white fork and covers whit this stickers...
naljepnice%20final.jpg

Hal,

When you say NEW 5305...do you mean the custom motor direct from Crystalyte??

Cause mine that Oyeah (John) is supposed to have ordered to crystalyte is still ... well... no news... :(

I'm also supposed to have a custom 18 mosfets cotroller from crystalyte.. but still no news....

since 3 months! :| :(

John say it's crystalyte that take log time to give updates...

well... i'm a bit discouraged...

I sent an email to Keywin and Bob to get a 18 mosfet Infineon in case where i would finally get no positive news from John.

I just hope i'll not get both controller!! :shock:

but your 5305 was also custom made by crystalyte right??

so what are the updates you have from now?? please could you give me the max details!

thanks!

Doc

In Croatia is currently only one new 5305 with disc brake, in two weeks others will come, they are on the ship somewhere AFAIK. In two days I will have it and post you some pictures, it is currently been measured from a guy who builds custom controller some 200km away... After testing the local dealer decided that he will import only 5305 for this year (He have 1x 5306 also). the "matching" controllers will be 72V 40A, but I do not know which one. here is the picture---> http://www.e-vozila.com/slike_forum/Dig ... troler.jpg I think this is the digital one. He showed me also x6 but he will not import them.

Here is some measured data for 5305:
resistance 450mOhma/25°C
motor constant 1.3Vpp/Hz
inductivity is ~130uH

Back