Can I add a throttle to a Priority Current?

AF7JA

100 W
The Priority Current (review here) is close to what I want:
  • Belt drive
  • mid motor
  • hydraulic disc brakes
  • reasonably clean looking
  • Comes in a variety of sizes (Important to short riders)
As a note, it uses the Truck-Run motor, which I know nothing about. I am a bit concerned about the long term support on this, relatively unknown, motor.

The only other ones that seems to tick the same boxes are Gazelle Ultimate C380+ HMB, which uses a Bosch motor, and the Serial 1 Rush-Speed which uses a Brose TF MAG motor and manages to cost even more.

It would be to replace this bike:
e-bike-15-Aug-2021-cropped.jpg

Things I Like about my current bike:
  • NuNinci drive (I added it, not stock)
  • 26" wheels ( I added them, not stock)
  • TSDZ2 Motor ( I added it, not stock)
  • throttle ( I added it, not stock, I had to replace the controller in the TSDZ2 in order to make it work)
  • hydraulic brakes
  • Gearing changes have allowed for 20-23mph

Things I don't like:
  • at 20-25 mph in no wind conditions, it is still slow
  • it looks more like a project than I would like
  • Chain drive, I have had a belt drive bike and I was sold on it
  • I just don't really like it

Here is the question, can this (or the serial 1) be readily modified to use a throttle?

I use this e-bile for daily commuting. Very simply, I have found that even with pedal assist on high wind days, the throttle helps.

Plan B is to take a steel bike that started as a single speed (in order to get rid of the spring assist idler for taking care of the chain slack) and try my first big welding project in cutting the frame for a belt and installing a BaFang Ultra. Of course, when I am done, I am still at the "science fair" project bike look.

$3300 for a 500w motor and a 500wh battery? And a completely rigid bike to boot. That is an unmitigated ripoff in my opinion. Of tremendous proportions.

I have no idea if one could add a throttle to it.

The answer is yes.
Priority current means that speed control is achieved by the means of current variation. The controller does read standard controls info via the low voltage circuit like any other: PAS, E-Brake, Throttle, hall sensors... If there is no connector for a throttle, you can add one directly from the controller board because almost all controllers boards have the pins well identified for a throttle.

Have you considered buying an E bike frame that has the mount for a mid drive and just starting from there? You would save money and have better performance.

Something like this, not necessarily this exact one but there are tons of these., This one is full suspension, that would be much more comfortable for commuting compared to the other ebikes that you’re suggesting which are rigid.

As far as trusting the carbon fiber frame is probably just as durable as those bikes you’re suggesting. Personally I stick with aluminum frames as I’m not worried about saving weight.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2021-NEW-E-bike-carbon-fiber-frame-bike-MTB-29-27-5er-Electric-frame-bicycle-E22-/133560255318?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Eastwood said:
As far as trusting the carbon fiber frame is probably just as durable as those bikes you’re suggesting. Personally I stick with aluminum frames as I’m not worried about saving weight.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2021-NEW-E-bike-carbon-fiber-frame-bike-MTB-29-27-5er-Electric-frame-bicycle-E22-/133560255318?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I have looked at a few of those. The main thing is that I would have to give up the desire for belt drive.

AF7JA said:
Eastwood said:

I have looked at a few of those. The main thing is that I would have to give up the desire for belt drive.

Yeah belt drives are great, with the zero maintenance.
But why couldn’t you use a belt driven system on this frame? You can convert the mid drive to use a belt. Then with full suspension you can remove the chain stay to Install/uninstall the belt.

https://www.electricbike.com/gates-belt-bbs02/

Eastwood said:
But why couldn’t you use a belt driven system on this frame? You can convert the mid drive to use a belt. Then with full suspension you can remove the chain stay to Install/uninstall the belt.

https://www.electricbike.com/gates-belt-bbs02/

The problem is that the distance between the chainring and the sprocket changes on a full-suspension bike. Belts need a constant distance. They also work best with some sort of a tension adjuster, like a horizontal dropout.

Back