Chevy Volt Test Drive.

JUICED

1 W
Chevy Volt Test Drive.
As part of my "mentoring" of the real estate staff on all things EV and Green, we got to
play with a Chevy Volt today. I already had fundamental issues with the car having a ICE generator,
and the maintenance that goes with it, but here it goes...

Noted facts. I goes 40 miles on a charge (Max?).
The gas generator does not charge the Battery pack, only runs the car when the
battery pack runs out of juice. That makes no sense to me at all.
It gets 42 MPG (max). 41,676$ as tested base model.

Observations:

The Gas motor is so quiet you may not know it came on. It drives like a heavy mid size car. It is not a spacious as I would have liked (Being a 6' person).

It is LOW to the ground. It felt like getting out of a Corvette. (a pain in the knees).

He stated it accelerated like a 300 HP Sedan.... I did not think so, but I may be jaded due
to some of the vehicles I have driven though out the years.

It will charge on 120V or 220V. It has opportunity charging as part of the standard package. It even comes with a 110v extension cord. The charge port in on the side of the car, not in the center front like the Leaf. I think that is a mistake. A opening car door could hit it or someone walking past could trip over it way to easily.

Over all I was not greatly impressed. Of course all of the other staff was full of silly EV smiles and they all wanted one right now.... Good thing I have not had lunch.... I would have lost it...

Just throwing this out there, my old VW Golf Estate Diesel gets 62mpg measured/tested and it's a 1.8 ltr engine that is nearly 15 years old. I swapped it in the end for a nice wood cutting axe lol....it was either that or the scrap heap. Now I only have my ebike to get to work on.

Was the 42MPG just with the ICE engine or combination of ICE and electric?

The ICE motor is only a generator. A Electric motor moves the car. When the batteries run out it only runs on the generator.

My problems with the Volt:

+ Has a maintenance mode that will try to force you to burn through gas if the gas in the tank is getting 'old'. If you do not burn through it, it will burn through the gas on it's own.

+ Requires premium fuel.

+ Low tech engine, basically a stripped down version of what you get with the Cruze Eco. Engine could do better.

+ Very bad emissions for a car of it's size; worse than the Subaru WRX STI:
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ght-civic-hybrid-jetta-gas-tdi-wrx-sti-4.html

+ Will kick on gas engine at higher speeds, i think above 65mph.

+ 40 mile range comes from conservatively using 60% of the battery.

+ Battery pack just large enough to qualify for the tax credit.. from the company that killed the electric car.. and the electric street car

+ ~$41k price tag

Hey, it's a green car for people who don't like being green!

JUICED said:
The ICE motor is only a generator. A Electric motor moves the car. When the batteries run out it only runs on the generator.
..The gas generator does not charge the Battery pack, only runs the car when the
battery pack runs out of juice.

Are you saying they have engineered a high capacity generator, and a high charge rate battery,..but have not connected the two ?? :shock:
does it have regen braking ?

neptronix said:
JUICED said:

Not true. The ICE motor will engage to drive the wheels at higher speeds..
The Volt is more like a plug in hybrid..

http://gas2.org/2010/10/11/chevy-volt-uses-combustion-engine-to-drive-wheels-so-what/

Are you SURE??

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/30/repeat-after-us-the-chevrolet-volts-gas-engine-does-not-drive/

The planetary gearset does have a direct connection from the ICE to the wheels, kind of, and furthermore, the Genset does send power directly, occasionally, to the wheels but it also charges the battery pack up from 25% of capacity to approx 35% of capacity, then shuts off until the pack is drawn down to 25% whereupon it kicks in again.

Doesnt' sound all that impressive, does it?

I suppose I might have been impressed if the price were a little more than cut in half.

I'm no authority on either, but it's beginning to sound like the Nissan might be the more attractive of the two.

It's a shame. I'd like to see General Motors pull off something big.....

Just another reason I have not been impressed with the Volt. More "non information" from GM... :(

That was not mentioned by the sales rep at all.

Thanks for the updated info!!!

It is more efficient to charge batteries from AC mains. Most trips are short enough to not require the generator. It is silly to charge a battery from a generator. The price is also crazy.

Gas goes stale pretty fast. Not good to store it too long. Perhaps they should use propane or CNG for the generator. Diesel also spoils in warm climates.

JUICED said:
Just another reason I have not been impressed with the Volt. More "non information" from GM... :(

That was not mentioned by the sales rep at all.

Thanks for the updated info!!!

No prob.
I would not expect honesty or anything other than a CAFE raiser car from this company. At least the American division. They are going to be selling pure EV's in China..... but not here!

They paraded around a 230MPGe number around a bit.

They said it got 50mpg too. ( but it's rated at upper 30's in the charge sustaining mode )

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/04/15/report-chevy-volt-will-get-50-mpg-once-the-battery-is-used-up/

And who can forget the Volt dance:

[youtube]xvwTMZNWGuk[/youtube]

Yeah i've been watching it unfold on ABG for a while now ;)

But it is nice to see the report from someone in our community that is not as heavily anti-GM biased as me.

Now go test a Leaf and report back ! 8)

BTW, If you want a Volt you will have to wait until around Jan 2012 for yours to arrive. (according to today's Sales Rep)

At least the Leaf is getting to their customers. I have a fellow EVr that got one today.

I bet he has a BIG EV smile!!! :)

bluegoatwoods said:
but it's beginning to sound like the Nissan might be the more attractive of the two.

not if you plan to go interstate ( or more than 100 miles ) .
At least the Volt allows you to consider a longer trip without needing to plan long interuptions for charging.
And you will never suffer the effects of " Range Anxiety" :wink:

They said it got 50mpg too. ( but it's rated at upper 30's in the charge sustaining mode )
It all depends how you use it..
...If you only use it on 20 -40 mile commuter trips, it will easily meet the 230mpg ! :wink:
... but if you use it as a 24/7 Taxi, then it would be a little less ! :mrgreen:

so , if you are planning a Taxi business...the volt is not a smart choice.
But if you are one of the 80% of motorists who mostly use the car for short commuter trips, ( but sometimes go away for the weekend)...it has a lot going for it !

Hillhater said:
It all depends how you use it..
...If you only use it on 20 -40 mile commuter trips, it will easily meet the 230mpg ! :wink:
... but if you use it as a 24/7 Taxi, then it would be a little less !

so , if you are planning a Taxi business...the volt is not a smart choice. but if you are one of the 80% of motorists who mostly use the car for short commuter trips ( but sometimes go away for the weekend)...it has a lot going for it !

Let me clarify. I mean in range extended mode.
That is the only good metric of the gas engine. Otherwise ratings vary widely..

Spacey said:
Just throwing this out there, my old VW Golf Estate Diesel gets 62mpg measured/tested and it's a 1.8 ltr engine that is nearly 15 years old.

And it's because these figures are available using diesel (bio-fuels) that electric cars
make no sense at this point in time to a large majority of the population. Biodiesel
electric hybrids IMO are the way of the future not straight
electric, not until our battery technology has made astronomical advancements
anyway or when the majority of the population only require a car to go 40 mile
on a charge....which you think will come first? .

KiM

AJ,

Remember that Spacey is in Europe and the imperial gallon is larger out there... maybe it is out in your part of the woods as well?

Our "upper 30's" figure would be in the 40's for you folks.

Anyhow the Tesla can go for 200-250 miles. The Nissan Leaf can do 75-120. Biodiesel hybrid electric plugin would be even more expensive.

As we know on here, the trend is that batteries are getting more energy dense and costing less. Major car manufacturers will lag a few years behind all the new advancements.

I think electric cars will dominate eventually. If we can get to the 200 mile mark, and fast charging stations are available that can charge at 2C, electric will start to be able to replace gas cars, no problem..

neptronix said:
I think electric cars will dominate eventually. If we can get to the 200 mile mark, and fast charging stations are available that can charge at 2C, electric will start to be able to replace gas cars, no problem..

Recharging stations will have to be mini power stations to make fast recharge ( <10mins) a reality for a practical EV (say 50kWhr ) .
Thats a 300kW supply needed ..for just the one EV !
Imagine a recharge station like a gas station , capable of recharging 6 or 8 EV's at once....thats 2+MW capacity. :shock:
.And double that if you want a <5min charge !
It can be done , but i fear the resulting cost of the recharge might not be very attractive.

hillhater, batteries or stupidly large capacitors could be used to buffer the load. But yeah, there'd probably have to be a power station nearby.

Most people will fill up at home, but those taking longer trips will have to visit the fast chargers.

When we're out of oil or nearing it, it'll be pretty attractive!

The ICE motor will engage to drive the wheels at higher speeds

Wrong. :roll:

From chevrolet.com...

The Volt runs on electricity for an initial range of 35 miles on a single charge, before a gas generator seamlessly creates electricity for up to 340 additional miles on a full tank of gas.

emphasis mine. :wink:

"Biodiesel" Growing food to turn into fuel? how does this make sense? Indonesia has already destroyed thousands of acres of rainforest to grow palm oil for biodiesel, thats food for cars people! not humans. the palm takes so much nutrient to grow, that after only one crop the land is so degraded that unless Dupont & Monsanto lend a hand nothing will grow there. This is called a sustainable fuel.

Gow864 said:
"Biodiesel" Growing food to turn into fuel? how does this make sense? Indonesia has already destroyed thousands of acres of rainforest to grow palm oil for biodiesel, thats food for cars people! not humans. the palm takes so much nutrient to grow, that after only one crop the land is so degraded that unless Dupont & Monsanto lend a hand nothing will grow there. This is called a sustainable fuel.

Some would say they are helping with the whole global warming by not only
making eco friendly bio diesel but also cutting down thousands of acres of rainforest
to do it, seeing rainforests put out more C02 than all the ICE going transport
on the planet :mrgreen: :p

KiM

REdiculous said:
The ICE motor will engage to drive the wheels at higher speeds

Wrong. :roll::wink:

For a long time, GM claimed, either implicitly or explicitly, there was no direct mechanical connection between the range-extender and the drive wheels. The engine was there strictly to keep the battery charge levels topped up. Now comes news that at around 70 miles per hour and above, there can be a direct mechanical connection between the engine and drive wheels.
Read more: http://blogs.automotive.com/6719781/opinion/chevy-volt-drivetrain-controversy/index.html#ixzz1IzLQVzuq
Emphasis mine ! :wink:

chevrolet-volt-transmission.jpg

electricdriveunit05.jpg

Back