Chinese Connection

I really enjoyed that 150V thread. Thanks! Sure it seems like the 100V 4110's are optimal but those FDP2532's are tempting! Maybe 24 fets in two rows of 12 on each side of the box (double heat sink). I've seen those liquid cooled CPU's - I guess the same could be adapted to a 150V 80-amp PWM controller prototype. Imagine a 120V (nominal) 80-amp controller for $150 (member) price. That might be a worthwhile project for crazy dude! Fechter may have to fly to China for that one!

Is there a such thing as under voltage with a controller? Let's say you have a controller capable of 120 volts and you wanted to run it a 24-36-48 volts. (valet mode) Or if the kids take it. Actually until one's budget allows for more batteries. Will a 120 volt capable system be O.K. to run at 24-36-48 volts for a while until battery prices fall and one can accommodate more batteries into his budget or will the whole thing blow up? I've heard of this with speakers and amplifiers.
Of course the voltage cutoff would have to be variable.
Damn I can't wait till e-crazyman redesigns the board on his existing controllers.
A poor man's Cycle Analyst or Drain Brain.

Hey Knuckles, as has been already said a bunch of times, this is really cool. I just bought one of the ecrazyman 48v controllers two weeks ago but haven't had time to hook it up due to the Maker's Faire (and a lack of enough batteries to make 48v hehe). Since someone blew up my Kollmorgen controller the first day of the Faire I will now be looking to hook this thing up :)

Excuse my ignorance, but one of the things I was trying to do was to use the pedal generator (a DC brushed motor with pedals attached) on my bike as the speed input into the controller. This didn't work on the Kollmorgen controller (which uses a 5kohm resistor for speed control). I used a voltage divider to cut the output down to 0-5v range. Another issue was that the wiring inside the Koll didn't like it when the generator was hooked up to the 2nd SLA battery on my bike (black wire to 12v, red wire to 24v). How does the pedelec wire work? Is this something I could get working with the ecrazyman controller?

Good luck!

Design thought for Knuckles:
- The rheostat for the variable voltage cutoff should have preset points. Otherwise how would you know what setting you have it on without a voltage monitor? But what consensus do we come to for the voltage set points? Some people are running SLA's and some people are running Lithium Ion and LiFePO4. They all want different cutoff points.

Knuckles said:
I have been a fan of this forum for almost 2 years but I did not join

Making up for lost time are we? :D

I'll probably be in on one of the high volt controllers too..

Toa Chie for the kind words.

So crazy dude just joined the forum and made his first post. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3553&start=15 You go Keywin!

He's still a little shy about his English but I understand him just fine. So there you go!

BTW … I just sent Fechter the original 72V controller for his unabashed analysis.

Yes the variable LVC will be nice but I would settle for no LVC at all just so I could run any pack V I want. But we now have our very own factory so let’s get design’n!

-Cheers

tron said:
Design thought for Knuckles:
- The rheostat for the variable voltage cutoff should have preset points. Otherwise how would you know what setting you have it on without a voltage monitor? But what consensus do we come to for the voltage set points? Some people are running SLA's and some people are running Lithium Ion and LiFePO4. They all want different cutoff points.

True. Preset points would be nice. but one could also just set up the bike upside (in kitchen of course) and hook up some SLA chargers to the controller for a given LVC value. run the motor no load (tape on the throttle to keep it full open) and adjust the pot to the point where the motor stops. Walla! Just set you very own custom LVC!

But I'm sure Fechter (or someone else) will have a better way.

Never thought of that one. Guess preset point may add to the price. As long as the charger has enough juice to run the motor without a load. Don't know if 1.5-2.5 amps is enough to pull that trick off but hell its worth a try!

I did this way back when I got my very first kit (ran the motor no load with just chargers - my batteries had not yet arrived but I wanted to see the wheel spin - yippie the wheel spins!). You could also just use a set of bats and a voltmeter to select a desired voltage for setting the adj LVC. If Keywin is gonna design a new PCB then we can add more than just a variable LVC. Oh ... almost forgot. He mentioned that he can provide a 15V wire for lights and such from the existing PCB used for the 72V controller.

-peace

I like that PTO for lights as well. I'm working on rear LED trailer lights and a set of MR16 LED's up front. That would solve a lot of extra packs and chargers! The Draw would be around 10-20 watts probably total. I've ordered one of these:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300218165368&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Hey knuckles,
Did you say at one point that you upgraded the phase wires on a Grubee system. I've got one and man are the wires whimpy or what?

yes. Jordon from SkyHawkCanada sold me his last 4 Grubee motors (he now has a 9-5 job - barf) and one motor had the classic 'nuts fell off twisted harness’ disease. So I replace with three 14 AWG phase wires and used Cat-5 wires for the hall sensors (man I've replaced a lot of hall sensors). The thing runs Fast and Cool now.

Just Got my new GE 7 megapixel A730 dig camera so many pics coming soon. As Vanilla said ... Makin up for lost time. Word to his motha' 8)

I actually like the Grubee motors (got 6 right now) and yes the harness is very wimpy. Don Grubee gets "funky" if you criticize his stuff (engineers with cowboy hats definitely have attitude) but he makes a good motor. His motor armatures are (supposedly) tested at 200V (Chinese factory) and I run them at 72V nominal 30-amps and they run cool and are a blast. He also has some very cool PMGR motors that I want real bad. He never really got over the 48V hump though so I guess he is paranoid about the ebike law. Also his minimum order is about $15 G for 100 SLA kits. I have a lot of pics on the Grubee line. Is it cool to post these? Maybe I start a Grubee thread?

I have a lot of pics on the Grubee line. Is it cool to post these? Maybe I start a Grubee thread?

Of course! It isn't as if you have to ask permission from him to post about his product. So, go for it.

tron said:
I like that PTO for lights as well. I'm working on rear LED trailer lights and a set of MR16 LED's up front. That would solve a lot of extra packs and chargers! The Draw would be around 10-20 watts probably total. I've ordered one of these:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300218165368&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I was thinking the 15V wire should handle 5 amps (5 x 15 = 75 W) but can the existing PCB VR handle 5 amps out to stuff like lights (and maybe a stereo/CD player)? Hmmm?

heck I want a barbecue on my ebike! and solar panels and maybe an avi player and flat panel LCD.

lazarus2405 said:
I have a lot of pics on the Grubee line. Is it cool to post these? Maybe I start a Grubee thread?

Of course! It isn't as if you have to ask permission from him to post about his product. So, go for it.
Ok. I'll start a Grubbe thread. I still feel like a newby so I just like to tread lightly. Gosh I only joined on Friday. And yes ... this forum is definitely addictive. Hey .. What's with the V4Voltage guys raging on Tyler? Talk about bitchy!

Some of the bitch session threads are pretty funny! too many rats and not enough cheese I guess! whatever ... but still funny to read.

Hi all
what are the chances of putting a CA direct plugin into it ?
from looking at justins web site on the tap points for retrofitting old x'tlyte controllers for the direct plugin CA. The tap points are listed on the picture, a hall, gnd, ebrake, isensor(not sure think it might be positive side of shunt) and vbatt voltage for the CA.
Once the LVC has been sorted it would be nice to link all of the CA's features with an alternative to a x'tlyte controller
fechter add to the list of things you check for on the controller you have been sent, to see if there are equivelent tap points on these controllers.

Yes, I thought of that.
A Cycle Analyst connection should be fairly easy, even with the stock board. Just need to find a souce of the mating connectors.

So ... If my calculations are correct ... Fechter now has the crazydude 72V-28A demo controller. I await his scathing analysis with baited breath. :roll:
(this is the test unit with the wimpy 75V fets and the too high 62V LVC)
If it checks out then we can build upon the board and caps for better and more robust controller designs.

-Cheers

I cant wait, i have been burning up controllers because of my stupidity that its crazy. Im going to mortage my house just to pay my controller bills.. LOL

what would be nice is to have a low voltage tap in the controller for an external led light. at least for me it would be nice..lol

We have a 15V tap ready to go. Keywin and I are waiting for Fechter (and the forum) before going to the factory. Keep the discussion going.

btw. ALL members get the best possible discounted price. Discounted sales made only within this forum. I am committed to that. This is a good thing. Yes?

-peace

It's heeeeeerrrreee...

Yes, let's take a bit of time to get the changes right. It costs money and takes time to retool things.
Most of the improvements will cause the price to go up, so we want to keep a lid on that.

Back