Conclusive proof gearboxes are awesome.

Miles said:
Chalo said:
Which brings me to my favorite multi-speed transmission, the Stokemonkey. What I like about Stokemonkey is that it makes the limitations of pedal power into one of its strengths. It exploits a facility that the bike already has available, with or without power assist. It may incur the same efficiency losses and tradeoffs as a pedal drive, but it is totally harmonious with the pedal drive, and thus the whole bicycle, as a result.
How is the Stokemonkey different to motomoto's set-up?

Fundamentally? Two ways. First, motomoto divorced the chainring from the cranks, which removes the primary benefit of Stokemonkey-- the coordination of leg and motor power to keep both working together at their best. Justin and Brodie solved the problem right, by using a pedal sensor instead of a throttle, removing the likelihood that the pedals will run away from the feet. But they are bicycle guys; they get it. Overrunning chainrings are an admission that one doesn't understand, or maybe even doesn't like, a real bicycle. Or else they are a means of coping with a failure to correctly match the speed range of the motor with the speed range of the feet. In any case, they are made of FAIL.

Second, he started with a bike that was already at odds with itself. It has pedals, but also lots of squishy monkey motion working against the activity of pedaling. That layout only makes sense in a gravity-powered off-road racing environment where the pedals are supplementary, used to connect successive rough downhill grades that are not continuous. It is a mismatch just as basic and just as unharmonious as failing to reconcile 6000 RPM at the motor and 90 RPM at the crank. It also unfortunately results in a bicycle appearance that appeals to motor fetishists.

Motomoto's machine is beautifully and carefully made, worthy of great respect in that right. But it is a machine with identity problems-- one that either does not know what it is, or is trying to pass for something it isn't. SIlicone boob implants and curly chest hair, if you will. It might suit someone's taste, but it lacks the elegance of technical maturity, which real bicycles have in spades (and which I believe Stokemonkey also possesses).

A single speed (direct drive) motor would also "divorce the motor from the cranks", in a much more fundamental way than the "liberated marriage" of a freewheeling crank.

You don't seem to be able to make up your mind which system your prejudices should support?

liveforphysics said:
If you added gears to the Tesla, you would only be adding losses. You won't get a higher top speed, it's battery power limited, it's drawing ~500kW from an 85kWh 18650 pack to make it's peak power.

Is this a typo? 500KW electrical to make 300Kw mechanical seems much less efficient than I was expecting: 60% by my reckoning :shock:

Punx0r said:
liveforphysics said:
If you added gears to the Tesla, you would only be adding losses. You won't get a higher top speed, it's battery power limited, it's drawing ~500kW from an 85kWh 18650 pack to make it's peak power.

Is this a typo? 500KW electrical to make 300Kw mechanical seems much less efficient than I was expecting: 60% by my reckoning :shock:

It may not be a typo. The absolute max power possible of a motor at a given voltage occurs at full saturation, where max power out at that current level is 50% of input. As long as the controller only allows it very briefly, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla has their controller dialed up that high, especially if the 40% loss includes the drive train losses. Plenty of guys on the forum push their motors that far and further. Why do you think heat problems are so common?

Since motors have a very broad and fairly flat torque curve (not like ICE), I would say that it depends on the application. If I was converting a motorcycle to electric, I would leave out any transmission if I was staying off the highways (45-MPH top speed). But...If I spent most of my time on city street stop-and-go, but on rare occasions I needed 70-MPH on the highway...I would want a 2-speed (possibly even a 3-speed, with first gear for steep uphills with a passenger only).

If geared for 70-MPH top speed, and I spend most of my time at 0-to-35 MPH on city streets, I would constantly be at half throttle, also using more amps than necessary compared to a 2-speed when accelerating. Battery volume is restricted on a motorcycle frame, and I must strike a balance between volts and amps, keeping in mind the C-rate of the chosen chemistry.

The Tesla originally was designed to have a 2-speed (city/highway), but it was causing delays right at the moment when they needed to show investors that they were able to actually produce...

FrankG converted a dirt bike using the stock transmission, but he said he only used 2 of the gears (6-speed?), and also he found the frequent shifting to be annoying (to get at the 2 best gears and back).

SM,

For your 35mph cruise in town, you're forgetting that your throttle position is essentially making the motor "see" half the voltage, so low gear wouldn't have the efficiency gain you're thinking. My bikes work just fine going slow.

John

spinningmagnets said:
The Tesla originally was designed to have a 2-speed (city/highway), but it was causing delays right at the moment when they needed to show investors that they were able to actually produce...

It really requires experiencing a sufficiently torquey and speedy single speed before you can let go of wanting that gearbox. It's only since my latest motor that I let it go, and I'd bet it wasn't all that long ago for Luke too. In Tesla's case, they were forced by circumstance on the Roadster, but with the Model S I'm sure they just went straight to a single speed with no thoughts or wasted money on a gearbox.

Transmissions would be more usefull on electric motorcycles and electric cars if there were a wattage regulation like they have for ebikes. With only 250 watts in Asia or Europe you pretty much need a transmission to have a decent all around vehicle.
Imagine a moped limited to 1000 watts and 35 mph. A transmission , maybe 2 speed would be perfect. Take away the watt limit and it would be much easier/ better/ cheaper to just put on a lynch motor.

mr.electric said:
Imagine a moped limited to 1000 watts and 35 mph. A transmission , maybe 2 speed would be perfect. Take away the watt limit and it would be much easier/ better/ cheaper to just put on a lynch motor.

..Sure, but then you would need "more battery" and "more controller" to feed that motor the amps and still give you the range of the 1kW motor.
and that extra battery will bring its own issues of size,weight, handling, cost, etc.
How do you figure the lynch motor option is cheaper ???

spinningmagnets said:
Since motors have a very broad and fairly flat torque curve (not like ICE), I would say that it depends on the application. If I was converting a motorcycle to electric, I would leave out any transmission if I was staying off the highways 45-MPH top speed). But...If I spent most of my time on city street stop-and-go, but on rare occasions I needed 70-MPH on the highway...I would want a 2-speed (possibly even a 3-speed, with first gear for steep uphills with a passenger only).

If geared for 70-MPH top speed, and I spend most of my time at 0-to-35 MPH on city streets, I would constantly be at half throttle, also using more amps than necessary compared to a 2-speed when accelerating. Battery volume is restricted on a motorcycle frame, and I must strike a balance between volts and amps, keeping in mind the C-rate of the chosen chemistry.

FrankG converted a dirt bike using the stock transmission, but he said he only used 2 of the gears (6-speed?), and also he found the frequent shifting to be annoying (to get at the 2 best gears and back).

This is filled with conceptual fallacy and conclusions drawn from experiences with poorly suited drivetrains for the applications.

This isn't your fault, most EV conversions and things we build here involve taking most anything that can spin when it receives electricity and apply it towards moving a bicycle or something similar. This ranges from DC forklift pump motors to RC helicopter motors to industrial induction motors, even really pathetic single-phase motors like a table saw motor being driven off a 12vdc to 110vac 3000w inverter has been seen here.

Virtually nobody on here has actually gone through the exercise of making the ideal bicycle application motor and then also built it. This is because it's really expensive, either in time or skills or resources to do it (lebowski recently showed you CAN make your own no-compromise large diameter low RPM coreless motor on the cheap if you are highly stocked with enough time and skills alone).

I was just looking over some design stuff from the EV1. They went through every last detail to make this car as light and aero as it possibly could be, including taking it to boarderline crazy extents like electrically actuated aluminum brakes and huge styling compromises and interior space compromises and angling the passengers back more to lower the roof to make the body as slippery it possibly could be.

The development program had access to not only just every best of the best transmission in the world, they had access to all the racing development programs transmissions with special friction lowering coatings used in exotic race trannys and dry-sumped oiling trannies to minimize windage loss from the gears running through oil drag and bearing drag etc.

They were hunting the pinnacle of economy because they were starting out with some shitty lead acid cells they had to haul around that weighed more than the rest of the car, and so any reduction in this amount of cells to drag around obviously had huge benefits both in cost, as well as performance benefits and range benefits etc.

What did they conclude with for a drivetrain after all this pretty impressively un-restricted budget of development for making the uber-ev car (at a time when battery tech just sucked too much for EV cars to make sense really).

They went direct drive, no tranny, induction motor.

Same as other people who actually go through the exercise of seeing what's possible to do when you take the restrictions away of "I gotta make this forklift pump motor that I have laying around work!" or "These RC aircraft motors are soo cool and tiny! Let's put them on bicycles, they have the power to do it!" So many of the comments in this thread are just people re-stating, "look at my example of using the wrong motor for the job and how much better it would be with a tranny band-aid", which doesn't help people to see the ultimate solution would never involve adding more frictional losses and additional stages of complexity and things, it would involve directly generating the force you wish to have, over the speed range you desire it, and THIS is the pinnacle of EV design. This is the end-goal for EV's to arrive at. Fortunately, it's been nice to see that most programs who actually go through the exercise of seeing and testing what does work best in the end, and what enables them to get the most range per unit of battery cost (because batteries are often like 70% of the cost in an EV, so it's CRITICAL to use what you have as efficiently as possible), end up with a single motor fixed ratio drivetrain, because it is the ultimate solution over the useage range that includes everything to do with normal transportation or sporty commuting, and SPECIFICALLY a dedicated race vehicle, which it's always going to be the optimal solution for when you want to deliver lots of power for a long time, and have high average power levels while in use. When you grow your level of difference in power needs between max acceleration and cruse beyond a certain point, then PM motors core loss (and hence the $$$ ways to reduce it) start to be a bigger factor, and the move to a direct drive induction motor becomes the best choice.

If you actually go through the exercise of looking at what's possible vs real application situations, you will find direct drive with an electric motor IS the most efficient path, over a very wide range. A range so wide, I think a good example is the bulldozer that also wants to be a top speed vehicle, but remain functional as a bulldozer that can still push dirt proportionately hard to perform work in an undiminished performance as a bulldozer of that power level, yet also be a land-speed record vehicle. If it was merely a land-speed record vehicle, or merely a bulldozer, it would function best and most efficiently with no transmission, just building a direct drive motor for the application for either of those applications, BUT, for situations so far outside the normal operating range of things where you want to be a dirt pushing champ bulldozer AND a land speed record holder, then I agree, a tranny is going to make a lot more sense to add than trying to make some crazy motor to suit such a wide range of parameters with a single speed, and do it more efficiently than could be done without a transmission, because it's not that it couldn't be done with a single motor and direct drive, it definitely could, but it would involve a motor with such a large radius that the core losses and things while doing the land-speed record breaking would just get silly huge, and a transmission would make sense with respect to system efficiency in a big way for that extreme of an application.

I believe all the calculations for writing this up as a mathematical proof, as well as mathematically finding where that ratio limit (like the LSR/bulldozer combo example) are all capable of being drafted. Further, I believe this elaborate exercise including all the oil drag calcs on the tooth a gear and the oil sheer film friction and surface displacement over the moving tooth/tooth pressure zone, even the tiny bearing drag calcs that are load dependent by a fairly insignificant amount and the shafts flexing causing bearing misalignment and additional bearing heating and/or bearing case mounting failure from this flex (common in Honda gear-boxes, and often fixed by sacrificing a gear set in exchange for an extra mid-shaft mounted bearing support called a "hand-cuff"). All this stuff has been around long enough know. You can get good tranny calcs because it's leveraging many centuries of calculation and development, so that I've got entire books I haven't opened for years that just say something like, "practical formula related to mechanical gear effects", which will inevitably then load you with pages of the least practical calculations you've ever seen for making fairly accurate calculations on things like shifting the weight of oil in a gearbox, and how that's going to effect heat production or whatever. It's a well known, very painfully tediously documented subject.

Someone can write the proof set to show that over a range that extends well passed what a sporty-commuter, or a dedicated race vehicle operates in, that nothing involving adding a tranny in any situation is a higher efficiency alternative vs building a motor to directly generate the desired torque over the desired speed range you wish to have. This is why wind-turbines are direct drive. This is why the EV1 was direct drive, even in a car where they were willing to sacrifice everything for ultimate efficiency, even human safety things. This is why a solar car team racing in a situation where if you can trim just ounces off parts, you pay thousands of extra dollars to use that exotic material or whatever to do it, because you're willing to do whatever it takes to make the ultimate highest efficiency system, still uses a direct drive hubmotor at its highest level.

None of these examples really help it sink in though, the math example if somebody (maybe even myself if I ever find more than 20mins of freetime again) will do the math example of modeling an optimized motor over the whole range of a given application vs adding a tranny and it's losses to shift and trade some of your own losses etc (which I'm sure has been done by Tesla and GM and Nissan by now, and the conclusion is obvious, it's not that they didn't have access to transmissions...). Maybe somebody will be convinced by just the pure logic of realizing that if you're going to convert some electrical potential energy into making something move around, thermodynamically, it will be impossible to beat just directly using the energy to create the force you require vs creating something other than the force you require, and then converting it into other forms, and the inherent associated loss with ANY power transfer etc.

However, none of those above things taught it to me. What taught it to me, was having deathbike do violent snap-up and over power wheelies on command if you ask for them, and STILL being able to go to a higher top speed than I'm even willing to reach on a bicycle chassis, and get there while just modulating the throttle to try to keep the front end only a few inches off the ground, and try to keep some front tire speed up so when it touches down for braking at the corner, it doesn't upset the chassis so much from just riding the wheelie the whole way, and having like 5mph front tire speed when you touch the tire down at like 70mph and it has to buck and jerk as it gets the wheel up to speed before you can get traction to start braking. That's what finally opened my eyes and made me realize, ohh! Hey! Getting the right motor/controller combo for the application f*cking rocks in all ways!!! And it's more reliable and quieter from having less sh*t moving and less shit to go wrong.

Well that sucks.

This feels like 1986 all over again.

I had a ($200) 62 Nova, with a 400 small block from a ($100) 70 Caprice. Couple that with half a dozen trips to the Pomona swap meet, a BIG Melling cam, and for way less than ten cents on the dollar I had a car that damn near NOTHING could touch coming from any showroom. I used to go find late model corvettes to play with.

The first time I drove the 1986 5 liter Mustang (roller valvetrain, fuel injection, revved to the moon) I knew the end was near for me in my barnyard poorboy speedshop.

Oh well, It was fun while it lasted.

Right so we've reached page 8 and concluded that the original poster should have titled the whole thread "Conclusive proof gearboxes are awesome in my specific circumstance".

Go for gold guys :lol:

If building a bigger motor to fulfil the needs of the application ends up costing the same or less than using a smaller motor and a gearbox, then the answer is simple. Don't use one.

If building a bigger motor is simply not practical, or the cost is prohibitive, then add a tranny.

Remember, the bigger motor will only use more power (and thus need a bigger battery to feed it) if you ask it to. That damn right wrist is the biggest impediment to efficiency! :mrgreen:

Well, until someone invents e-drive perfection and there are bike sized, small, light, motors and controllers out there that are strong enough to chug up a goat trail at 4mph without cooking and fast enough to run 45-50mph down the road without having to run 100v, it looks like I'll be toying with some type of gearing.

When there is NO perfect motor for the job, which there usually isn't, the fact that gearboxes allow us to have fun with our inferior motors and controllers makes them awesome to me.

ps: old nova's whoop 5.0's all of the time :wink:

liveforphysics said:
If you actually go through the exercise of looking at what's possible vs real application situations, you will find direct drive with an electric motor IS the most efficient path, over a very wide range. A range so wide, I think a good example is the bulldozer that also wants to be a top speed vehicle, but remain functional as a bulldozer that can still push dirt proportionately hard to perform work in an undiminished performance as a bulldozer of that power level, yet also be a land-speed record vehicle. If it was merely a land-speed record vehicle, or merely a bulldozer, it would function best and most efficiently with no transmission, just building a direct drive motor for the application for either of those applications, BUT, for situations so far outside the normal operating range of things where you want to be a dirt pushing champ bulldozer AND a land speed record holder, then I agree, a tranny is going to make a lot more sense to add than trying to make some crazy motor to suit such a wide range of parameters with a single speed, and do it more efficiently than could be done without a transmission, because it's not that it couldn't be done with a single motor and direct drive, it definitely could, but it would involve a motor with such a large radius that the core losses and things while doing the land-speed record breaking would just get silly huge, and a transmission would make sense with respect to system efficiency in a big way for that extreme of an application.
I think that this is a case that needs to be made, despite Luke's understated presentation.... :)

I want to do an electric motocross bike that can win a supercross race. The Zero MX bike claims 54 horsepower at about 4,000 rpm
with no gearbox. Brammo claims 54 horspower at 8,000 rpm with a 6-speed transmission. Decisions, decisions...

jonescg said:
Right so we've reached page 8 and concluded that the original poster should have titled the whole thread "Conclusive proof gearboxes are awesome in my specific circumstance".

Well, again we're back to discussing induction motors to permanent magnet motors. The power density of a permanent magnet motor can not be touched by a induction motor. There is no advantage to adding a gearbox to a induction motor, there is to a permanent magnet motor.

I tried to add this to the first post under observations, but ye'ole Tesla anectdote just took off again. The fact that people don't get the difference just turns me off from the whole discussion. Maybe the title should have been "Conclusive proof gearboxes are awesome for permanent magnet motors".

I recently found an article about trannys in EV. It says that Gearboxes dispite their losses can increase the efficency of Ev to about 10%. And these are numbers that Gertrag published in their papers. The article is in German but maybe with Google Translate you can read it. Here is the link to the Website: http://www.heise.de/autos/artikel/Doppelkupplungslos-mit-eDCT-1802337.html. I think it's a logicall conclusion that Gearboxes are usefull because you can't build a motor that runs efficient in every rpm range.

This is a great thread guys!! Stay with it. Keep searching, analyzing and summarizing... you are writing the future of the eDrive train here.

We don't have 15 software guys writing multivariate optimizations, we don't have a Cray we can dedicate to crunching the numbers for a week. We have to leverage those that have the above, and distill their conclusions... then apply it to our drive needs. We have to leverage the information of those that have designed and produced successful commercial products. We have to learn what to scrounge for.

If we keep at it, perhaps we will find the holy grail? Maybe it is scrounging the laminations out of that 10 HP motor that Arlo has and marrying it with a custom rotor that Lubowski's might make following Luke's observations and advice?

I don't know where this will end, but stick with it. Good stuff happening here!

Yeah, windturbines around here are filled with gears. I believe the most modern ones are direct drive though.

My dream gearbox for an electric motorcycle is a planetary gear mounted right on the output shaft of the motor. The drive sprocket will mount straight on the circumference of the outer gear. In low gear it will have something like a 1:1.5 - 1:2 ratio. In high gear it will simply be locked 1:1 and have no losses.

besi said:
I recently found an article about trannys in EV. It says that Gearboxes dispite their losses can increase the efficency of Ev to about 10%. And these are numbers that Gertrag published in their papers. The article is in German but maybe with Google Translate you can read it. Here is the link to the Website: http://www.heise.de/autos/artikel/Doppelkupplungslos-mit-eDCT-1802337.html. I think it's a logicall conclusion that Gearboxes are usefull because you can't build a motor that runs efficient in every rpm range.
More on this one:

http://www.nichevehiclenetwork.co.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=TWmihWRC5a4%3D&tabid=920

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=2012304790A1&KC=A1&FT=D&ND=3&date=20121206&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

I can't read German, but I am willing to bet that the article discusses "adding a gearbox when using this motor adds efficiency". I don't doubt that could be ture, and that is a relatively easy question to answer. The more difficult question is: Given a production budget of $___ , a weight of ___kg, and space constraints of __cm by __cm by __cm, and ____ loading conditions, which is the more energy efficient solution, a motor / controller that is optimized for the criteria, or a motor/controller/gearbox that has been optimized for the criteria. To answer that question you would need to design and characterize both solutions. If you don't have the resources to do that you take your best guess. Add in serviceability / reliability and development costs (assuming you are going to be designing and building everything from scratch) and you heavily bias the larger motor solution even if it isn't the most efficient use of energy.

Like I said earlier, there are distinct advantages of using a gearbox in some situations, direct drive or single reduction has its advantages as well. Each situation needs to be considered separately, and carefully.

I have one question for all of you: If it were the same cost / weight / everything, would you rather get a bigger motor and double your power, or add a gearbox a with a 2:1 and a 1:1 gear ratio?

I can see even answering that question is not as easy as it might first appear.

-ryan

spot on Biff,
no one really knows for sure as yet, especially for smaller (sub 10kw) machines. the huge 100Kw+ induction motor motor standard, and lukes bike etc obviously work very well (and should be) single speed but, i reckon the scale changes things a bit for us, to me its a bit too early in the EV game to make a definite simple call, makes it kinda interesting i reckon. :wink:

Biff said:
I have one question for all of you: If it were the same cost / weight / everything, would you rather get a bigger motor and double your power, or add a gearbox a with a 2:1 and a 1:1 gear ratio?

-ryan
Bigger motor. Because when the gear box is in 1:1 ratio its slower then the bigger motor. But when the Gear box is in the 2:1 ratio its also slower due to losses.
Even if it was the same and there was no losses. The bigger motor would have the same acceleration as the smaller motor with 2:1 ratio. Then you would reach top speed of the smaller motor with the gear box and the bigger motor would be at 1/2 of its top speed while the smaller motor would need to shift to second gear (1:1 ratio) and if by some miracle this shift was instant and no power was lost to the wheels making acceleration constant it would still loose because the Bigger motor would now be accelerating 2x as fast as the smaller motor while there both at a 1:1 ratio

Biff said:
-ryan

Your question is absurd.

Back