Controller

Ive got a Benelli Tagete And the controller is playing up, I want to get a new one the motor is a bafang mm g33.350 and I cant find one, does anyone know which model has suprceeded it and which controller will fit?

Attachments

• 20211208_134839.jpg
    20211208_134839.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230726_185411.jpg
    20230726_185411.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 11
In case no one else steps in to help:

First, what problems are you having with the bike, under what conditions? (sometimes something that appears to be a controller issue is not, and is possible to fix without replacing it).

If it turns out to be the controller:

I'm not familiar with that system, so I don't know of a specific controller that will look the same as that one (and so won't fit in the same space that one did); not sure of any with the same connectors (and probably functionality) either.

Depending on your level of DIY ability / willingness, if you cannot find anything more specific to it, you could use any 36v "250w" (7A) that supports whatever sensors that system uses for PAS and/or throttle, as long as the motor can either run sensorless or has standard UVW (3-phase) hall sensors, as that is what most controllers will do.

If your system has a torque sensor, it could require the original controller to drive/read it. If it's just a cadence sensor, most of those can be read by an average controller.

If you have a display, it would probably have to be replaced wiht one that comes with the new controller.

The main possible catch is that some prebuilt bike systems use communication with the battery to operate the system. As long as the battery will output power normally without that communication it won't matter, but if it won't turn on without talking to the controller it would require the original controller to operate, or changing the BMS/etc out of the battery to a generic type so it can operate a "standard" controller.

All works apart from the motor which is operating intermittently it will try to pull and its not making the noise it normally does

What leads you to suspect the controller? Intermittent behavior is usually related to connections/contacts/loose wiring or solder connections. What kind of noise?
Have you poked around on ebay?

Controller becaue thats what the web has thrown up & its 4 years old. Do you think I ought to put it back togeter again.
Noise = Electric motor sound.
I've looked on ebay.
The cables are all white? and they've got different connectors on the ends. Will that make a difference.
Can you not get the bafang g33 controller anymore?
I think thats bad if you cant.

Attachments

• Ends.jpg
    Ends.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 1
Controller becaue thats what the web has thrown up & its 4 years old.
I searched on "Benelli Tagete controller is playing up" and it only pointed to this thread. Maybe you're using a different search engine or criteria. I added "intermittently" and still nothing.

I cant remember what I typed into google now but it wasnt "Benelli Tagete controller is playing up" it was sorthing like "bafang mm g33.350 working itermittently" but not that.

I cant remember what I typed into google now but it wasnt "Benelli Tagete controller is playing up" it was sorthing like "bafang mm g33.350 working itermittently" but not that.

Got it. Ya "playing up" doesn't mean much in ebike troubleshooting. Maybe amberwolf will be able to help out. He has a way of patiently asking for usable information needed to resolve issues.
If you can't find the exact replacement, you may need to use an external controller instead of one integrated into the motor housing. Whether you get an external unit, or use the one from the ebay link, you won't be able to get away from crimping and soldering on new/compatible connectors. As amberwolf mentioned, finding something compatible with the torque sensor will be a challenge.

All I get when I type 'amberwolf' into Google is a Tiktok Video! can I have the address please. PM me if you need.

All works apart from the motor which is operating intermittently it will try to pull and its not making the noise it normally does

The problem description is too general without enough detail to diagnose the issue remotely, so unless you're certain the controller is the problem (guessing not based on later post info), I'd reconnect the system and do a few more tests and gather a bit more info as follows, because while it could be a controller issue, it sounds more like a battery problem (voltage sag on a cell or cells causing the system to stop using the motor to protect the battery). (controller failures usually just don't run the motor at all, and are not usually intermittent).

It may seem like a lot of questions, but remember that we cannot know anything at all about your system and what is happening that you don't tell us, so the more specific and detailed you are about things, the more information we have to work with to help you fix it. ;)

Based on the answers, we can then suggest other tests if necessary.

How were the controller, battery, sensors, ebrake levers (if any), throttle (if any), or any other parts tested to know that they work, and that the motor does not?

What happened between the time it worked and the time it did not, and under what specific riding conditions?

Was anything on the bike changed or worked on between the time it worked and the time it didn't?

Does the battery charge normally, and does the battery gauge on the system read full even when you attempt to use the motor?

Or does it read low or drop momentarily while attempting to use the motor? Many battery meters do not react fast enough to show a problem like this, so it might require a multimeter / voltmeter connecting to the

Can you describe more precisely what you mean by "operating intermittently"? (when does it work, and when does it not, under which conditions for each, when you are trying to do what specific actions?)

Can you describe more precisely what you mean by "will try to pull"? Does it start to run and actually start to move the bike and then stop? If so, what exactly is being done at the time, and under what conditions?

Regarding replacement parts, I am not sure which system yours is, but when googling "bafang mm g33.350" the MAX and the M400 systems come up a fair bit. Does the unit at the pedal area of your bike look *exactly* like any of the ones in this search?
or this one?

If so, and it does turn out to be the controller, you could buy an entire drive unit and just swap out the controller from it if that's easier than just swapping the whole unit out, and you would have a spare display/etc as well if you ever needed it.

Regarding replacement parts, I am not sure which system yours is, but when googling "bafang mm g33.350" the MAX and the M400 systems come up a fair bit. Does the unit at the pedal area of your bike look *exactly* like any of the ones in this search?
or this one?
Thanks for that bread crumb trail. The OPs unit looks a lot like this one, except for the serial number.
H319ede2cc8ba4b5c801f01b7e73b6429Z.jpg_960x960.jpg

I think the stock unit, or upgraded stock unit, would be the only way to go if it needed a controller replacement. I remember looking at the bafang torque sensors and they seemed to work mainly with Bafang systems, so might be an issue with a third party external controller.

I don't see the wiring for brake cutoffs, in the Google pics of the bike, and the motor manual doesn't mention a connector, but there is a shift sensor cutoff, so that could be a clue.

How were the controller, battery, sensors, ebrake levers NONE, throttle NONE, or any other parts tested to know that they work, and that the motor does not? THE SCREEN WORKS
I was out on the bike when it stopped working, so no changes.
It dosent work from setting off to stopping it just tries to work (hence the intermittenly). The pedals still work!
I've only got a pedal assist bike.

Still the same even after being put back together. So its back to the original question does anyone know of a mm g33.350 controller? or which model has suprceeded it and which controller will fit it?

Still the same even after being put back together. So its back to the original question does anyone know of a mm g33.350 controller? or which model has suprceeded it and which controller will fit it?
You can just contact Bafang and provide the pic of your controller, since it doesn't appear there are a lot of folks jumping in that have the same bike. Home

Given the limited information provided so far, my guess is that the torque sensor is crapping out, so if you still have the issue after replacing the controller, you may want to look there next. Of course responding to amberwolf's detailed questions might point to other possibilities. Do you ever ride in wet conditions?

Please report back once you get it working. It will help others in the future if they encounter something similar.

Do you ever ride in wet conditions? No dry, dusty.
Will the bike still work without the torque sensor, or if its disconnected? How do you test evrything?

Do you ever ride in wet conditions? No dry, dusty.
Will the bike still work without the torque sensor, or if its disconnected? How do you test evrything?
If you don't have a throttle, then torque sensor is the only thing that tells the controller to provide assistance, based on/proportional to the amount of pressure you apply to the pedals. If the sensor is failing or if there are poor solder connection, etc., then it will affect to signal to the controller.

I don't know the specs of the Bafang torque sensor, and most torque sensors operate a a higher voltage than the 5V that most of the ebike signal circuits use, so you may need to test it on the bike. If you can find out, then you could use a power supply to test it after taking it off. Basically, when powered up, the output signal from the sensor will vary between something like 1.5V to 3.5V or so, depending on pedal pressure.

You can get an idea about how to get to the torque sensor on this video:

It will be hard to test if it's functioning intermittently. I guess that if you can identify the output wires, you could add some wires to run out of the housing to connect a voltmeter to. That way if it cuts out, you should see the voltage drop, and you'd know its the torque sensor. If it cuts out, and the output voltage stays the same, then you'd know the problem is downstream. I'm sure other folks have more experience in troubleshooting them though.

PS. Make sure you inspect both ends of those connectors carefully to make sure all the wires are intact and the pins are straight and haven't backed out of their housings.

Last edited:
Back