Converted 66cc to Electric, 1st Electric build

Nice build; however, I noticed the wire from the motor exits upwards. It might be better to turn the axle so that it exits downwards otherwise rain will run down it and go into the motor, which will make it go rusty. No problem if you don't go out in the rain.

Also, I guess it's OK because it's been like it since you converted it, but, if it were mine, I'd like to see the axle further into the drop-outs. The larger diameter of the axle doesn't allow the axle to centre properly, so I always file mine deeper to bring the axle back to the correct centre.

Thanx for the tips. I have been putting off the motor wire for a while now after seeing the correct position from other builds, but will have to do it soon. I know when I set that wheel in the dropout the first time is was pretty straight and as far as the axle would go in the drop out. Will have to check that again. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone I guess.

pucksterpete said:
I know when I set that wheel in the dropout the first time is was pretty straight and as far as the axle would go in the drop out. Will have to check that again.
If you started with a 9mm quick release axle, the axle centre would be 4.5mm from the top of the drop-out, and the top of the drop-out would be a semi-circle. Then you change to a 14mm axle with 10mm flats, The first problem is that the radius at the top and the shape of the new axle are different, so that it's held off by about 1mm. Then the new axle centre is 7mm from the edge, so that brings the new centre about 8mm from the top of the drop-out in total - or 3.3mm further down that it should be - even when it's in as far as it can go. Therefore you have to not only file the drop-outs deeper, but also re-shape the top into an arc rather than a semi-circle.

All this is a bit academic if you have substantial independently mounted torque arms, but I'm not sure I trust those bought ones with more than one link, where the best installation would be with the first link at right-angles the first arm. If it isn't at right-angles, you're relying on the friction of a 5mm nut (or 6mm if that's what you have) to resist the torque, which isn't a lot.

When you add it all together, with the anti-rotation washers hardly in the drop-out, the trque arms nearly able to work as a mechanism instead of a structure, to me, it looks a bit insecure. Having said that, I ran a BPM at 40amps for a while with nothing more than the torque of the wheel-nuts and not very well fitting (but a bit better than yours) anti-rotation washers, so I don't think yours is anything to panic about, but, as you say, next time you take the wheel off, it might be worthwhile to make it a bit more secure.

Been a while, just got back from FL for 5 weeks, great weather, now back to cool and rainy. :( Before I had left I noticed that the back wheel motor hub side was a little out of whack. After further inspection found out that I have a broken spoke. :( Went to local bike shop and they don't have the size I need. 170mm x 2mm. Does anyone have a good source to order this size of spoke? I'm itchin to ride.

Thanks

Pete

pucksterpete said:
I have a broken spoke. :( Went to local bike shop and they don't have the size I need. 170mm x 2mm. Does anyone have a good source to order this size of spoke? I'm itchin to ride.
You should ask the asshole you bought it off :p
Email me your address and I'll post you a few spares

jpgey said:
Hello Pete, you can try this guy located in the south, i never bought anything from him but i was keeping his name in memory:
http://la-roue-provencale.com/

Thanks, I'll give him a shot. I did find some places in the UK that sell parts for Unicycles. But would be nice to find parts within the country I live. Thanks again

Hyena said:
pucksterpete said:
I have a broken spoke. :( Went to local bike shop and they don't have the size I need. 170mm x 2mm. Does anyone have a good source to order this size of spoke? I'm itchin to ride.
You should ask the asshole you bought it off :p
Email me your address and I'll post you a few spares

Hey Asshole, PM & email sent

Thanks Jay

Well it has turned out that I have a pretty good flat spot on the Alex DM24 Rim. :( So, I am in the market for a new rim. But, I think I have reversed the Rim & Spoke buying process. :roll: After reading some posts on here and doing a few emails to members, I went ahead and ordered some Sapim Single butted 13/14 170mm blk spokes from danscomp.com, the same length of 170mm I have now. Now, I need to find a new rim. I think I should have bought the rim first then the spokes. Is this the right way to do it? I could go with the same exact rim as before, but hesitant because of what happened with the flat spot. So, will any 26" strong rim do or do I have to base it on the 170mm length spokes? I think the failure I had with this Alex DM24 26" rim was the combination of weak Chinese steel spokes, some hard riding over some rough roads and my weight of 220lbs!

Does anyone have a source to get a strong 26" quality rim? I am running Maxxis Hookworms 26x2.5 and the Alex DM24 Rim has specs of 26"-660g, ERD 543.6mm, ETRTO 559X24mm

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Last night on the Champs-Élysées, It does have a front hub motor on it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back