Converting Hammacher Schlemmer cheapo trike

LockH said:
Interesting to see "the completion" (and watt IT costs):

Currently Price: $11,995.00 (May interested some in a box of goodies to work w/a $700-ish starting machine. See Phoenix Ebike Promotions advert on ES.)

BTW. Object of this thread maybe? To "bulk buy". (Given X quantities demanded based on early indications of treats desired in box.)

(So far, "response" may be "lousy".)

Well, well... OT, but received in mail today, an 80 page paper catalogue. (Paper handy-dandy to make roll-up fire logs!)

But on front cover, this:
Charoit.jpg

Presenting the Hammacher Schlemmer Foldaway Electric Chariot!

Some text from inside:
This is the electric scooter that allows sitting or standing and fold-ups for portability! (Exclamation added.)

...sturdy aluminum frame folds down to 50% of its volume (38"L x 20"W x 30.75"D) for easy storage in an office, apartment closet, or trunk of a Stinkmobile! (Exclamation added again, and may not be exactly as worded.)

250W hubbie, handles North Americans weighing up to 250lb.
(Apparently) up 9% inclines! (ED: Golly Gee!)

36 Volt lithium-ion flavoured bettery (no mention of Amp-Hours, or how many recharges before declining capacity get less than... "range of UP TO 15 MILES"

Provides a (ready?) 12 MPH TOP SPEEDS (ED: Caution, may be passed by joggers, fast running animals of various sorts).

Last sentence:
Special conditions and guarantee limitations apply! (and 70lbs, etc.)

$1800 (US dollars. Factory direct shipment. Delivery times and charges may vary - please call for details. "Premium" and "Express" delivery are not available.) (Sorry, but gift wrap and cards not available either.)

Oh goody. Series of pics currently on Face Plant (sp?):
Cardboard.jpg

(Just wish to file away on ES, with my plans for "SUV-sized" trike conversion.)

The Recumbent Cyclist
(The official magazine of the Recumbent Bicycle Club of America, March-April 1992 edition:
http://stevebriggs.netfirms.com/rcn/No10-marapr1992.pdf

Some past efforts at higher speed "flying" in more comfy seat. (Don't recall any with drink holders, etc.)

Well, yesterday front freewheel mech "gave out" for some reason (wheel turns backwards/forwards, pedals too, just not at same time).

Herr Doktor Professor crazy mad old half-dead guy to the rescue! His company Phoenix Ebike Promotions picked up today one Park Tool CCP-22 Crank Puller for Square Taper Cranks ($19.99 Cdn.plus HST taxes):
parktool.jpg.

Now to investigate guts of object of Ebiker lust.

TBA

Definitely a useful tool, L0ck. When you need to fix a bottom bracket, it is hard to do without.
otherDoc

Finally. Have replacement new front wheel installed. And TWO handbrakes???
HS_Day 1.jpg
Added hand brake lacks... the rest including cable and actual wheel brake... of some sort. (Caliper? Disk?) Need to be completed re local laws re on-road bikes/trikes, added to one or the other rear wheel (or both?)

"Spare" hand brake DOES have also power cut off... so next up, install... EVerything else. Old front wheel w/hub motor, front basket/ handlebars combo to hold Bettery pack, etc, etc, etc.

OK. Progress so far re "high-speed wheelchair" (Watt a life-time cyclist might buy. More recent convert to Ebikery):
Progress2.jpg

So. Have installed second hand brake (ebike motor cut-off switch left over from Locks "Dray" project). And front-wheel basket plus handlebars (to add lights, instrumentation...WEIGHT, etc.) Pack, instrumentation (eg Cycle Analyst V.3) from last years failed ebike (trike) experiment.

Third white plastic "leg"/tubing/basket etc. support still a "work-in-progress".

Hehe... Am reminded re trip to see Bikery bits fixed yesterday. With basket/handlebars reversed. So crazy (drinking) old disabled ebiker on sidewalk terrorizing others with odd contraction. (Have pretty much decided on christening name "The Horny Devil".)

Hey L0ck
Where does the motor go? And did that cool trike in the mag ever get into production?
otherDoc

Hey Doc... Not sure which "mag" ya mean? (Last years trike has front wheel hubbie motor on similar OD front wheel, so still needs to be xferred.)

Still experimenting with high-speed wheelchairing. Yesterdaze "dump" sideways estimated by observers (haven't xferred instruments yet) about 30kmh (down hill on road). Got the scrapes on hands (`cause neglected to wear the usual leather gloves) to match busted wrist from last years... adventure (diff. trike. Diff. "Lock" too than "Dray" project.).

Have others ride, with similar (slower speeds) sideways rollovers. (Trike design def. not re "high speeds".) More "wheelchair" speeds.

Next up, maybe, steering device with back wheels steering dampener thingees.

(Black plastic bettery case, mostly empty, from last years trike. So mostly empty w/cells to make 48V 10Ah approx.)

LockH said:
Hey Doc... Not sure which "mag" ya mean? (Last years trike has front wheel hubbie motor on similar OD front wheel, so still needs to be xferred.)

Still experimenting with high-speed wheelchairing. Yesterdaze "dump" sideways estimated by observers (haven't xferred instruments yet) about 30kmh (down hill on road). Got the scrapes on hands (`cause neglected to wear the usual leather gloves) to match busted wrist from last years... adventure (diff. trike. Diff. "Lock" too than "Dray" project.).

Have others ride, with similar (slower speeds) sideways rollovers. (Trike design def. not re "high speeds".) More "wheelchair" speeds.

Next up, maybe, steering device with back wheels steering dampener thingees.

(Black plastic bettery case, mostly empty, from last years trike. So mostly empty w/cells to make 48V 10Ah approx.)

Got it. I hope you heal fast. I don't wear riding gloves either in the summer. Usually I roll on grassy slopes at the side of the bike path. No injuries except to my pride.
otherDoc

"Usually I roll on grassy slopes"

... hehe... tried that last year. Got broken wrist "souvenir". (Hence, thought to go "`bent" this year. Not so far to "go for a tumble" maybe.)

Current thinking? New seat/back hung like a pendulum. So rider (weight) tends to stay "level" more or less when two back wheels tilt from level.

Seat weight rope/etc. connected to a weight effectively pulled in opposite direction. Counteract tipping by moving small weight left or right towards "high side".

Maybe.

(New seat, old office metal/plastic chair w/legs cut off. Has arm rests. (More drink holders, left hand fold up/down flat laptop table - laptop re WiFi WWW, etc.)

Been writing w/left hand as right side of body still... "misbehaving" physically.

Comment re "my" current HS ride (recumbent trike) in this thread added to ES here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8099&start=725#p950071

In the maybe three months I have had this trike on the road (sidewalks) literally hundreds have commented stuff like "Cool Bike!" etc.

To which I reply, I bet you say that to all the disabled on their wheelchairs, right? Yah. Nasty old guy. (Chuckle, Chuckle. Snort. Snort.)

Call these pics an Ebiker Daze at the beach.

Pics taken while vacationing over-nighter "in town" (modern spreading Megalopolis just across the waters/ice by boats and various - a few still human-powered. With all sorta power-assist re transportation, etc.

Dim night-time shot w/HLD (my Horny Lil'Devil) in foreground, and across water in back, local CN Tower thingee (or as referred to), SkyDum (or "SkyDome"), etc.
Camp_dim.jpg
Better/closer pic of Object maybe:

PS. BTW, trip for biz/pleasure of course. I to see My Cuz (my cousin... plus others re getting one/first touristo "rickshaw" biz "on the road", said rickshaw to be build maybe by local bike/cart etc master. Website:
hhttp://cappelcustomcarts.com/who-I-am.html

Plus showing off potential non-motorized "recumbent trike" now available for rent in Toronto. (Not really. Not yet. Have already though set up new/seperate email address plus webpage:
https://sites.google.com/site/peprentals/

Meanwhile, sneaky Phoenix Ebike Promotions can hopefully/maybe offer DIY design-yer-own conversion bits-in-a-box:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Not TOO sneaky I hope. First ya grow the market (hehe).

BTW. Current thinking to mount BLDC motor on back trike frame to spin one or both back wheels (later add also front wheel hubbie, so two/three wheel drive EV. Yeah Baby.)

Still "camped out" as sun rises today.

Some might find this somewatt amusing...

Me, trying to interest my (small business owner/manager) neighbours in buying the HS trike, but then renting out said... contraption, w/trike displayed on sidewalk/etc. right outside their store front door (Tall-ish "Spanker" sail - already mentioned on ES - w/signage re rentals/area business/etc.) Tryouts on back lanes before ya... blast off.

So, business name PEP Cruiser Rentals (PEP short for Phoenix Ebike Promotions. PEP also offering Bettery-Electric DIY add-on "features" such as BLDC motors - for "assist", WiFi, HD lighting, various sound signaling devices. etc.)

In thread "Last Call! (Small EV Biz investors.)" in some foreign place or other.

Here:
http://www.meetup.com/Electric-Bicycles/messages/boards/thread/47647222

BTW ES folks... It occurs to me (Yeah, I know, OH OH), anybuddy on ES can try this, but if one were to "drop a shipment" of boxes from Hammacher delivered to my door in Toronto (East, technically, as in old city of Scarborough). Have already assembled one, have large variety of "tools", have a wealth of experience in ownership and operation all over a variety of terrestrial urban environments (Roads, bridges, sidewalks, curbs, skateboard parks... list goes on.

Based on about six months of EXTENSIVE... "experiment", including many hundreds of favourable commented observations from passers-by re my "high-speed wheelchair" AKA "Horny Devil" I expect orders to reserve future rental dates to fill up promptly.

Time will tell.

Can only suggest a "healthy" return on your investment.

EVen just ONE vehicle is perhaps a hugely tiny "risk" (can be sold off at discount after season/tryouts).

ED: Sorry, Corp. coloured rentals Flaming Red on Orange-painted HS model ONLY. Fer now. Hehe

Call it "A Dutch Thing".

Oh oh... Suspected BrainFart (TM)... (but possible brainwave?)

... to go friction drive. On the front wheel (tire, or maybe wheel rim itself?).

So (maybe) take one Golden Motor 500W "trike" motor, remove (nine tooth) gear from output shaft (is it press fit on, so might be more easily removed by heating gear EG with my Handy-Dandy (TM) 40W soldering gun?), and replace gear with... something ("cheap"-er that can be replaced and will wear faster than the tire it is rubbing on. Like EG a slice of suitable diameter plastic tubing), and mount motor... somewhere on the trike frame (or an added mounting itself attached to the frame?).

Motor wired to controller mounted... somewhere else in same front end of trike, near Li battery/combo battery basket/handlebars - where handlebars aren't used for hands at all, but instead mount bells and whistles, CA, drink holders, etc.

So, sound do-able? (Or at least try-able? Better to have tried and flubbed it. Or something like that, as the expression goes.)

Call this pic "Christmas comes earlier in Ebiker Land" or something:
Lessee... Ya got yer 16" (1.75-2.125 Schrader etc) Giant tire inner tube
and Bontrager Dialed (16x1.75) tire
(Both times two. Hehe)
And that thingee in the foreground watt of course any self-respecting ebiker carrys at all times.
XMas_early.jpg

(Hehe. Sorry `bout the "Mystery Object", but maybe curious whether any viewers might identify.)

Example of playing with "snow tires" (this using El Cheapo "Zip Ties"):
Bike-Snow-Tires.jpg

Handy thing, having no brake on wheel rim. :)

LockH said:
And that thingee in the foreground watt of course any self-respecting ebiker carrys at all times.

So. Lots of [V]iews of pic re the "TerminateAir MV" but no takers? (Shouldn't have mentioned the name. Sorta huge clue.)

Back